National Dream Contest Roosevelt Stadium

Speaking of the Dream Contest, see the Caballeros website. For the 60th anniversary, performances of the past are being posted on the website. One performance is from the 1969 Dream!

http://www.cabs.org/video/Dream%201969.wmv

There is a neat one from 1961 at haltime at a Washington Redskins game.

http://www.cabs.org

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the Dream Contest, see the Caballeros website. For the 60th anniversary, performances of the past are being posted on the website. One performance is from the 1969 Dream!

http://www.cabs.org/video/Dream%201969.wmv

There is a neat one from 1961 at haltime at a Washington Redskins game.

http://www.cabs.org

Thanks VERY much for the Video link......my Dad was marching Hurcs that day........we (Mom & I were late but what a show!!!!!!!!!!!) Saw the Hurcs 69 Dream Video, and man were they ever awesome that day. Also Thanks for the answer on the showers...I figured that was the case.....showers a long time ago...then they let them go to S$%T....... soooooo sad...what a wonderful venue that was...ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!! 'cept maybe no showers anyway!

Edited by Fred Steiner Jr.

Geoff:

That would be Goffle Brook Park in Hawthorne. We left Prelims and Jim Costello did not even wait for Prelim scores. We performed, got back on the bus, dressed back in our "rehearsal clothes, and went back to the park to rehearse. I remember the corps was so focused at rehearsal and was like a machine. While rehearsing, Frank Kubinak and Bob Murray waited for the scores and came back and told us we beat Skyliners, who were having an unbelievable season until two weeks before when we knocked them from the undefeated ranks. Later that night at Finals, we defeated Skyliners for the Championship. It was a great season for both corps.

Steve,

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I thought the seniors were red-hot in 1972. I was amazed that the Rochester Crusaders could do no better than a tie for fourth with Hurcs even though their horn line was immaculate. I have an indelible memory of Ritchee Price and the Reading Bucs doing up "Russian Sailor's Dance".

The only Dream I ever attended (and didn't march) well to qualify it better, the ONLY Dream I ever attended in Roosevelt Stadium was 1978, I went down on a bus trip with the corps I was marching at the time. (Hershey)

Besides drooling over the Bridgemen, I remember plain as day, a stretch Limo pulling into the stadium, 2 or three babes getting out, then helping out Butch Anderson, and popping the cork on some bubbly.

That was a TRUE drum corps moment, that would be hard pressed to pull off in this day and age!

WOW that was almost a lifetime ago!

The only Dream I ever attended (and didn't march) well to qualify it better, the ONLY Dream I ever attended in Roosevelt Stadium was 1978, I went down on a bus trip with the corps I was marching at the time. (Hershey)

Besides drooling over the Bridgemen, I remember plain as day, a stretch Limo pulling into the stadium, 2 or three babes getting out, then helping out Butch Anderson, and popping the cork on some bubbly.

That was a TRUE drum corps moment, that would be hard pressed to pull off in this day and age!

WOW that was almost a lifetime ago!

They were Major "Babes" too weren't they!, Thanks Butch R.I.P.!!!!!!! :rock:

Here's another one off a different thread...Sunrisers 81:

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/198..._drumline.shtml

The one and only time I was in Roosevelt Stadium was with St. Joe's of Batavia at the 1963 Preview of champions. I remember it was a grass baseball field, a pretty beat up one at that. When did they install that beautiful astroturf? I have a feeling they referring to the drumline as being a "dream" drumline with 10 snares.

The one and only time I was in Roosevelt Stadium was with St. Joe's of Batavia at the 1963 Preview of champions. I remember it was a grass baseball field, a pretty beat up one at that. When did they install that beautiful astroturf? I have a feeling they referring to the drumline as being a "dream" drumline with 10 snares.

You're right Bill...Roosevelt was a Baseball Field and "Pretty Torn Up" too....and Yes Sun did have "Dream" drumlines..very good as I remember...but, I believe this picture is at the 1981 "Dream Contest" which I believe was held at Giants Stadium........... can anybody please verify this???