National Dream Contest Roosevelt Stadium

Your welcome...

That's how I felt when I "found" it... :laugh:

Tony B)

Now if only I could get others "Onboard" to make some posts here. it COULD be a pretty good thread! Don't know for sure but I suspect lots of folks who DO remember "The Dream" are NOT on-line...also wonder why the others are staying away like they'll catch the plague or something... Put out links on RAMD and DC USA.........still nothing....oh well...it's their loss! Thanks for all YOUR help Tony!!!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1971, marching and playing French Horn, New York Skyliners. In my opinion the best performance by New York that year. The crowd was amazing, as it usually was on the hottest Sunday in August. I remember playing our ending fan-fare and seeing everyone on their feet screaming and yelling (New York). If I recall, one judge had a hard time hearing us from the stands, because of the ovation we got when we left in a company front, to the reprise of Little Old New York, crossing the finish line.

All of the Dream contest gave me great memories from all corps that competed. I used to travel to Jersey City every year while I was in junior corps, OLPH Ridgemen and St. Rocco’s Cadets, just to be part of this GREAT SHOW!

I can go on and on about this, but we should hear from all who competed, and or was a spectator with their memories.

Sometimes I wish I could go back just one more time. Writing and reading these post helps.

Duke:

1971 was my first year with the Hawthorne Caballeros. I had taken 1970 off after St. Lucy's disbanded in 1969. I remember after our performance at the 71 Dream, I went up into the stands to sit with my family who all came to see my first Dream as a Caballero.

I remember sitting there and remembering my ears getting pinned back at the hit right after the initial signature of New York, New York. I remember my brother in law, who marched in St. Lucy's with me, turn to look at me and let out a scream. He liked both Hawthorne and Sky and was torn because of Lucy's guys being in both corps. Also, Bobby Hamilton was responsible for recruiting him to Lucy's in 1964 so he also had a special allegiance to him too.

I have to say, I was awed by that performance and that solid wall of sound. I wore that Dream record out but have to say the recording does not do justice to what it really sounded like.

Being a loyal Caballero, I begrudgingly admitted to my brother in law that Sky was good that day. Deep down, both corps deeply respected each other and I made it a point not to miss Sky's performances.

Duke:

1971 was my first year with the Hawthorne Caballeros. I had taken 1970 off after St. Lucy's disbanded in 1969. I remember after our performance at the 71 Dream, I went up into the stands to sit with my family who all came to see my first Dream as a Caballero.

I remember sitting there and remembering my ears getting pinned back at the hit right after the initial signature of New York, New York. I remember my brother in law, who marched in St. Lucy's with me, turn to look at me and let out a scream. He liked both Hawthorne and Sky and was torn because of Lucy's guys being in both corps. Also, Bobby Hamilton was responsible for recruiting him to Lucy's in 1964 so he also had a special allegiance to him too.

I have to say, I was awed by that performance and that solid wall of sound. I wore that Dream record out but have to say the recording does not do justice to what it really sounded like.

Being a loyal Caballero, I begrudgingly admitted to my brother in law that Sky was good that day. Deep down, both corps deeply respected each other and I made it a point not to miss Sky's performances.

Thanks for the post....know what you mean by "Wall Of Sound"..Sky's always good for that!! Cabs too!!! Like I said before, I really wish that I had marched at Roosevelt...loved that place... No-one has answered me yet...were there showers there??.....what did you think of the Stadium Pix???

Duke:

Hey Steve! You guys weren't too shabby yourself!

Forgive me if I don't get you rep right, but Carmen as your opener and 1812 for the Color Pre were GREAT! Do you remember the week before in Saratoga Springs? I feel that both of us were at our best that night.

Sky and Cabs, Cabs and Sky ( not in that order ) . Thanks Steve, will it ever be like that again?

Thanks for the post....know what you mean by "Wall Of Sound"..Sky's always good for that!! Cabs too!!! Like I said before, I really wish that I had marched at Roosevelt...loved that place... No-one has answered me yet...were there showers there??.....what did you think of the Stadium Pix???

Fred:

The pictures brought back so many memories and it was a shame to see the Stadium begin it's demise in the mid 70s.

As a kid, I remember seeing some great Dream Contests. My first was 1964. As a spectator, the 1966 Dream had to be the best I had ever seen with the Troopers, Cavaliers, Royalaires, Kilties, BS, and St. Lucy's competing in the junior show.

I remember my first Dream performing with St. Lucy's in 1969. I had joined too late in 1968 to learn the show in time for the season so I was relegated to doing parades and retreats my first season. St. Lucy's won the 1968 Dream. I remember the 1969 Dream was a typically hot, humid August afternoon and we practiced in Branch Brook Park, I believe in the morning. I remember driving over to the Stadium with my brother law and other guys and seeing the Stadium in the distance as we got into Jersey City. I had a giant lump in my throat. My aspirations as a kid were finally coming true and I closed my eyes and could hear and see the huge crowd. I remember dressing and warming up outside the Stadium and hearing the crowd from outside the Stadium. Knowing this was my first Dream, my brother in law and the rest of the guys in St. Lucy's were busting me not to be nervous but then telling me wait until you get into the Stadium and look up and see the huge crowd. To make matters worse, we were slated to go on last in the Junior show and the sky was darkening overhead. Just as we get into the tunnel to go out on the field, the sky opened and I was subjected to an agonizing rain delay. This gave the busters in the corps more time to torture me as I waited for the show to resume.

I remember as the rain let up and the show was ready to resume, the Hawthorne Caballeros were assembling to go on as first competing corps of the Seniors. My first performance at the Dream was so memorable and the adrenaline was flowing playing in front of the all-drum corps crowd. Sadly, I did not realize it would be St. Lucy's last performance at the Dream and within a month they would be history. I truly loved the corps and would have stayed until I aged out but little did I know I would be a Hawthorne Caballero two years later and would win my first Dream in 1973. I was able to march in the 71,72,73,74 (Juniors only/Seniors did exhibition) and 75 Dreams.

By 1975, the Stadium was really starting to show it was in it's demise and it worsened after that.

Great memories and tradition that will never be seen again.

Now if only I could get others "Onboard" to make some posts here. it COULD be a pretty good thread! Don't know for sure but I suspect lots of folks who DO remember "The Dream" are NOT on-line...also wonder why the others are staying away like they'll catch the plague or something... Put out links on RAMD and DC USA.........still nothing....oh well...it's their loss! Thanks for all YOUR help Tony!!!

Wait a sec, I'm here I proformed at Roosvelt Stadium.

Here's my Roosevelt Stadium story (not the Dream though :( )...

1972 and I am driving to DCA prelims, but on the way I am passing through Hawthorne. I have no idea where I am, but want to see the Cabs...No Problem! I just pull over and roll the window down and follow the sound of the horns and drums to their practice site. Just like I had always imagined Hawthorne, New Jersey would be like!

Geoff:

That would be Goffle Brook Park in Hawthorne. We left Prelims and Jim Costello did not even wait for Prelim scores. We performed, got back on the bus, dressed back in our "rehearsal clothes, and went back to the park to rehearse. I remember the corps was so focused at rehearsal and was like a machine. While rehearsing, Frank Kubinak and Bob Murray waited for the scores and came back and told us we beat Skyliners, who were having an unbelievable season until two weeks before when we knocked them from the undefeated ranks. Later that night at Finals, we defeated Skyliners for the Championship. It was a great season for both corps.

1971, marching and playing French Horn, New York Skyliners. In my opinion the best performance by New York that year.

OMG.... you guys were amazing that day! I was a 13-year-old kid, first year marching in drum corps....and Skyliners just blew me away that afternoon. An absolutely fantastic hornline.

What was really cool was that Skyliners and my junior corps.... Manville (NJ) Crusaders....played the same color presentation tune that year....."The Longest Day." Of course, Sky played it just a bit better. :P

Fran

Geoff:

That would be Goffle Brook Park in Hawthorne. We left Prelims and Jim Costello did not even wait for Prelim scores. We performed, got back on the bus, dressed back in our "rehearsal clothes, and went back to the park to rehearse. I remember the corps was so focused at rehearsal and was like a machine. While rehearsing, Frank Kubinak and Bob Murray waited for the scores and came back and told us we beat Skyliners, who were having an unbelievable season until two weeks before when we knocked them from the undefeated ranks. Later that night at Finals, we defeated Skyliners for the Championship. It was a great season for both corps.

Steve... see you're still on here..... what about my question, if they had showers there????

Steve... see you're still on here..... what about my question, if they had showers there????

I never heard of a shower area for corps there in all the years I performed. Can anyone answer that? Were there showers in Roosevelt Stadium back in the early days for drum corps? I believe the Stadium must have had showers in the 40s and 50s for the sports teams that played there but the Stadium was starting to get grungy by the mid 60s and I do not believe the facilities were well cleaned nor were they large enough to accomodate the corps. I may be wrong!