Comparing MB and DC Experience/Differences

From my experence, its that well, back in high school our band a was a state finalist and in the running for a state title every year, and that was fun. I had a better experence in Drum Corps, marching in a top 12 corps, had a ton of fun and learned a lot about myself. both those times,i had to pay to do band.

Here at USF were i'm at now, i don't remember a time where i've had so much more fun. In college the whole not having to compeat and just trying to put on a show, thats a ton of fun, and also its college, so we all know what that means.

Its kinda funny how is college there are only people, like drum corps, who want to be there, not because we kinda got to be there, but because we want to, we all love it, and thats why we keep doing it. and also the money helps. from doing all the emsembles in our athletics program i made $2000 this school year.

Most of the people have given the answer I'd give. In band, there's always those few(in my case most) who don't want to be there.

I think the main contributor to this is the band director. I would imagine a band that has a charismatic and inspiring director could be just as intense as drum corps and have the band fully committed and such. However, most band directors have no clue what they're doing with a marching band because well, yeah, many of them are just symphonic/wind ensemble players. In my case, my band director was a classical guitar player. It doesn't really work. IF THE DIRECTOR ISN'T INTO IT, THEN THE BAND WILL NO SUCCEED.

now for those who say drum corps is more difficult, you just can't really say that. I know people who have marched in a small band, and a division I champion corps, and ironically they said the band setting was more difficult for them.

But yeah, I definitely like drum corps a lot more. I had such bad experiences in high school with marching band.

One of the biggest difference is the audience. In most marching band shows I have been to, it has mainly been parents/relatives of the kids in the bands. I would say 85-90% of the people in attendance are family of one the band members. There is practically a new audience every 45 minutes to an hour. When their group is done, that section of the audience leaves, and another section moves in.

Where as in drum corps, there are a few family members in attendance at some shows, but for the most part, the audience is there because they really want to see the show, not because their niece and nephew-the Anderson twins -are in the 13th band to perform that night. At most drum corps shows, I sit next to the same people for the entire show, not just 45 minutes. The atmosphere is completely different. The applause is completely different as well. Instead of scattered polite applause, and maybe one or two standing ovations-very rare, at drum corps shows, the crowd is really into the shows, and doesn't hesitate to show it. There is very seldom a corps finishes and doesn't recieve the standing ovation.

Most of the people have given the answer I'd give. In band, there's always those few(in my case most) who don't want to be there.

I think the main contributor to this is the band director. I would imagine a band that has a charismatic and inspiring director could be just as intense as drum corps and have the band fully committed and such. However, most band directors have no clue what they're doing with a marching band because well, yeah, many of them are just symphonic/wind ensemble players. In my case, my band director was a classical guitar player. It doesn't really work. IF THE DIRECTOR ISN'T INTO IT, THEN THE BAND WILL NO SUCCEED.

Alan Perkins (former Director of Bands - El Toro HS) he ran his band like a drum corps, you knew by watching them perform that everyone wanted to be there--and this was in August!

Here at USF were i'm at now, i don't remember a time where i've had so much more fun. In college the whole not having to compeat and just trying to put on a show, thats a ton of fun, and also its college, so we all know what that means.

Great point on the different mind sets between competing and non-competing groups. When I started the corps had reformed and had bills up the whazoo (rear end). For the first three years our #1 priority in deciding what gig to go to was how much $$$$ we could make. Our main goal in cracking Top 10 DCA was so we could be invited to more DCA shows which paid better. BoD wanted us to be our best but main concern was knocking down the debt so could survive.

Also marched a few years in the smaller Senior circuit (Red Carpet Association). Got to know some corps there who didn't have the $$$$ or personel to be that competative So they said <bleep> the scores, let's go for the entertainment value.