Favorite DCA I & E moment

This site is brilliant. I haven't laughed that hard in a while...

Thanks, Lee.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Bush low Ensemble was playing Slaughter on 10th Avenue as part of their skillfully arranged medley of drum corps tunes (thanks to Lew Kelly!) and an unnamed horn player (cough......Dan McGrogan....cough) started playing the Bull call a la '75 Muchachos and Madison Scouts.

It is tough to get John Bugosh to laugh out loud, but I believe they pulled it off!

All good fun.

:P

Dan, You've won a new respect with me. :blink: ^0^

I thought of this sitting at work. What is/was your favorite I&E moment? Who was performer/group? And what did they do? Be descriptive - don't hold back.

I have one in particular but only a few people share that memory.

I&E's are always a blast and there are always stand out moments from each year. I always loved to party at the ski lodge in Scranton.

Good times baby good times.

So tell us!!

My favorite DCA I&E moment was Mini Corps 1995. This is how the score was announced:

"In first place, with a score of 100 +, the THUNDERBIRDS!"

My first thought was: "How can you score higher than 100, when 100 is PERFECT???"

Hmm, so many...Frank "El Guapo" Cardenas plaid-clad in kilt, sombrero and Christmas lights in aught 2.

Crunchy Frogs in aught 4, but, oh, so weird.

Donny, Jimmy, Tommy et al. of Empire winning playing "Rio" any year.

Assisting Tom Peashey announce Mini-Corps in aught 4 at the ski lodge, but the Shure SM57 mike (needed an SM58 wireless) would only reach outside Barely. I had to keep running my butt off between Tom and the judges' table.

Announcing mid- and low-brass in, hmm, '04, when, despite asking the Inspire bari how to pronounce her name, I musta botched it big time. The way all those Japanese laughed at me, you'd think I announced her as the "Snowboarding Tomato" or something in Japanese.

Remembering Donna Ernst being so earnest in the office while mayhem ensued outside. Tom Peashey going with the flow, always at ease. Paul Chaffee running/announcing his high-brass/ensembles/Mini-Corps venues so well.

Gotta love the Hit Men! Erie T'birds every year!

Years those guys "from parts unknown" won.

The year the Stealthmen flew their chartered plane in and won.

Wrapping up a busy I&E event any year, playing Syne...uh, patriotic, in aught recent.

Can't wait to party, uh, participate, in Rochester.

Cozy

My favorite DCA I&E moment was Mini Corps 1995. This is how the score was announced:

"In first place, with a score of 100 +, the THUNDERBIRDS!"

My first thought was: "How can you score higher than 100, when 100 is PERFECT???"

During Critique the Judges admitted there was an error of scoring. The score sheets were completed as the THUNDERBIRDS entered the stage. (THUNDERBIRDS were on last since we won the year before)

The 2nd place corps (Generations..............Matadors) were given a score of 95. As Jay Pius and I watched them back stage, we both got nervous. They were HOT! It was stated by Jay: "We better put on a perfect show." I agreed.

Our 1995 Mini Corps performance began with a horn-snap and the Pin-Wheel. The crowd went nuts. All soloists were on and the THUNDERBIRDS were not going to be denied a 3rd Medal.

Since Generations were given a score of 95, the Judges realized that they made a mistake since the THUNDERBIRDS performance was 10 points better than 2nd place. Thus a score of 100 + 5. I still remember thinking to myself: "How can you score higher than 100, when, 100 is perfect?"

As Tom Matczak stated: "What happened in '95, remains a 105."

Edited by SoloSop420

1993 mini-corps...The Sunrisers.

We weren't great, but it was what kept us going so we could come back in 1994. The two things I remember most about that night was all the alumni that were at I&E sang Battle Hymn with us, and

Fran Haring announcing the corps for the first time in competition in 1993....

• 2 weeks later...

CorpsVets Baritone Ensemble playing "Prayer for the Children" in 2000. The performance was emotional for the players and their supporters, but what followed in the hallway was even more emotional. It sort of capsulized (sp?) the year for the little corps from GA in its first year at DCA as a field corps. If you were there, you know what I'm talking about. Oh, they won by the way.

The mini corps competition in 2000 was also awesome, especially the Ghost Riders. Just electric.

I was sitting on the fence about whether I would continue on with DCA during the 2000 Championship weekend. These two moments got me off the fence and now it looks like DCA will be stuck with me and another little southern corps for a while. :)