Favorite DCA I & E moment

For me, it has to be the Crunchy Frog "mini-corps" in 2004.

One of the most bizarre, inexplicable, disturbing events in the history of drum corps.

Yet at the same time, somehow quite uplifting. :blink:

Fran

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being part of Crunchy Frog 04...Calvin and me duking it out with foam sabres...and being asked by someone in the group from Carolina Gold to whack her ### with the sabre during "I hate math"

Warmup for CF04....watching that little kid play with Scott Johnson....he is too young to have those kind of snare chops!!!!

Dream sop Phill Norris' solo....him being the first guy to really fill up the hall with sound...and the look on the face of poor kid from Sky who was about to go on next..."I have to follow THAT???? ####!"

Seeing some snare solo dude (dunno who it was) play with 4 sticks...2 per hand...NEVER seen THAT before!

Renegade Dave Landers' winning bari solo "I couldn't decide between 'Flight of the Bumblebee' and 'Play That Funky Music, White Boy', so here's 'Flight of the White Boy'".....and then he sticks a Sheherrazade quote in in the middle!!

Being told by members of Gulf Coast Sound to be wary of their podium if I used it the next day at Prelims, 'cause it was a bit wobbly....then finding out the next day just HOW wobbly it was! YIKES!!

The very first DCA I&E show. About 1988, too old to remember dates, I was DCA Judge Co-ordinator, my Drum Caption Chief was Bob Hurley. Two of his ex-students had a friendly rivalry over who could play their show the best. I believe one was with Sun the other with Bush. Bob said he would judge a Drum Down at championships. I happened to walk out of the Prelims with Bob and out between two buses these two drummers stepped out in Full Uniform.

Bob immediately recruited me to help him judge the two. Behind a bus we went and they played away. Bob and I immediately declared a TIE. That was the beginning of the I&E. That year I proposed to DCA we give it a try.

The first year in Allentown we had about 70 entries, we even allowed people to come out of the audience and perform, what a fun night.

Edited by Rap48

I remember back in, I think 93, there was a guard individual that blew people away. I went to I&E's to hang out and watch. I saw the most entertaining show. This performer did a rifle routine in DRAG!! He got a stand ovation halfway thru and the audience never stopped screaming. :worthy: The judges gave him a perfect score of 100! :worthy: I met him afterwards and we became friends, I think he is still marching but with Reading now. If anyone knows how I can get a hold of him, please let me know. We lost touch. Does anyone else remember that? I think there was a video of it. If anyone has it, I would love to see it. That show was a blast.

I remember back in, I think 93, there was a guard individual that blew people away. I went to I&E's to hang out and watch. I saw the most entertaining show. This performer did a rifle routine in DRAG!! He got a stand ovation halfway thru and the audience never stopped screaming. :grouphug: The judges gave him a perfect score of 100! :silly: I met him afterwards and we became friends, I think he is still marching but with Reading now. If anyone knows how I can get a hold of him, please let me know. We lost touch. Does anyone else remember that? I think there was a video of it. If anyone has it, I would love to see it. That show was a blast.

He's a great guy... I might know of someone that may have that video. I marched with him at Westshore.

What a Scooby fan!

Mine is winning back to back Guard Ensemble with April and her Sisters in 2004 and 2005. It was great performing with people that I will be friends with for the rest of my life. We are all marching with different corps now but we will always be "sisters". And I am really sorry I missed the "Enormous #####" CV Choir :)

Edited by CVGuardGuy

Teah E'Vaw Sound from Ondlorondo Alaska

coming all the way to Syracuse in 2000 to compete in Mini Corps and playing all your cold weather favorites !!!! b**bs b**bs :wall:

The first year in Allentown we had about 70 entries, we even allowed people to come out of the audience and perform, what a fun night.

That was the year that Walt Street from Steel City played the Clarke variations of The Carnial of Venice on a 2-valve baritone. He wasn't planning on entering, but when the I & E coordinator announced that anyone that wanted to enter on the spot could do so, he ran out to his van and dug out his Clarke book and read it down on stage. I think he scored a 92.something and took 2nd or 3rd place.

Walt is still going strong in the Reading Buccaneers lead bari line, having played mellohone last year with the corps to win his first DCA championship. It's very cool having my first caption head from my rookie season in the hornline at Reading. It was especially cool to win the championship with him and 2 other 86 Steel City members last season. What a long strange trip it's been!

When Bush low Ensemble was playing Slaughter on 10th Avenue as part of their skillfully arranged medley of drum corps tunes (thanks to Lew Kelly!) and an unnamed horn player (cough......Dan McGrogan....cough) started playing the Bull call a la '75 Muchachos and Madison Scouts.

It is tough to get John Bugosh to laugh out loud, but I believe they pulled it off!

All good fun.

:P

Dennis,

I swear it was Dave Minrero! Actually, he stood guard for me and gave me the cue to start. We stood on the top floor of the parking garage next to the outdoor performance venue and I'm told it rang nicely across the campus, although I think I chipped the first note.

That was a lot of fun. B)

Dennis,

I swear it was Dave Minrero! Actually, he stood guard for me and gave me the cue to start. We stood on the top floor of the parking garage next to the outdoor performance venue and I'm told it rang nicely across the campus, although I think I chipped the first note.

That was a lot of fun. B)

Dan,

I only wish I was there to hear it live!

Hey, face it man, we had MANY more good times than not!

:)