Multi Meter Marching

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why dont drum corps just march in 4/4 time while playing stuff in 5/8 7/8 what not. Just write it out in 4/4 then put sub bar lines to show the phrase of 7/8 and then march in 4/4 insted of doing that weird 12 123 12 123 style marching. Has anyone tried to do this? As for the end of the phrase, there are so many ways to do that I am not even going to list them.

Steve.91 Bush,Bully and the kid.Half the corps was playing and marching in 7/8,the other half(the Bullies)were marching straight quarter notes,alternating feet.l-r

:)

Why dont drum corps just march in 4/4 time while playing stuff in 5/8 7/8 what not. Just write it out in 4/4 then put sub bar lines to show the phrase of 7/8 and then march in 4/4 insted of doing that weird 12 123 12 123 style marching. Has anyone tried to do this? As for the end of the phrase, there are so many ways to do that I am not even going to list them.

Because it would be a great big pain in the neck. Why waste a ton of time trying to clean that when you can march in the time signature?

I wish I could remember who did this, but years ago I remember seeing some corps march even quarters while playing 7/8...every even number measure started on an upbeat, feet-wise....and every other odd number measure the donwbeat was on the other foot. Anyone remember BAC doing their "Unsquare Dance" drum solo in 69? I have this VERY vague idea that they may have marched that way.

Sort of like this...each word gets 2 eighth notes...

Left Right Left Right Up Up Up Up Right Left Right Left Up Up Up Up Left Right Left Right Up Up Up Up Right Left Right Left Up Up Up Up...etc....

That's like asking a conductor to do the same thing.

Blue Devils 1993 - Don Ellis Portrait

Their show had 13/8 and 7/8. I don't recall that they stuttered step. See for yourself.

Check it out. :worthy::ph34r::worthy:

Blue Devils 1993 - Don Ellis Portrait

Their show had 13/8 and 7/8. I don't recall that they stuttered step. See for yourself.

Check it out. :worthy::ph34r::ph34r:

:worthy: Yeah we did! :worthy: In most cases though, we marched the eighth note though - not the quarter. But we did have places where we stuttered. Many. My gosh, I remember even doing basics in stutters that year.

Anyway, I'm not going to be one to say that marching the quarter won't work. I just think it's pointless (in most cases) because it's not audio visual. I suppose a conductor could try and conduct 4/4 through a 7/8 meter but again why? Makes no sense.

Edited by torn8o

7/8 is really not that difficult once you get into the rhythmn of it, 12 12 123... Not much different that a 3/4 with a stutter at the end of each bar. The higher the tempo the less noticeable that stutter becomes.

Northern Aurora did a 7/8 piece but marched it as 14 instead of the "stutter" step.

You say it like stutter step is a bad thing. What's wrong with it?

As someone who's marched both ways (stutter & straight), I think stutter is much harder to do (screws with my mathematical mind) and therefore probably gains more GE/demand points. I think it also looks slicker.

Of course, with a 6/8 signature, you can do cool things, like having one section march in 6, one in 3, and one in 2.

Definitely looks slicker. And I think it would be harder to clean a straight step through an uneven signature--too easy to lose track of what foot you should be on. So why try harder to do something that isn't very cool looking? Doesn't make sense.