Brass Skill

And like you said, if the point is to be a master trumpetist...why are you wasting half of the day moving around on a field?

Dr. Raymond Vasquez, professor or trumpet at Auburn University and Dr. Chip Crotts, professor of trumpet at JSU and Yamaha performing artist, from Spirit's brass staff this year certainly didn't let their 4 years each of drum corps membership hold them back.

This really isn't aimed at you, G-Cym. I just wanted to point out that drum corps isn't going to stop anyone from being a great player, technically or artisticly, if they don't let it.

Edited by Spirit Age-Out

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2004, the mello line made practice tapes between camps and turned them in. Our tech (Tacco here on DCP) would listen carefully to each of our tapes and type up notes for us to work on for the next tape.

This was a great way to ensure that we were practicing our parts in between camps without taking away from rehearsal time to work on individuals. Not to toot my own horn (;op) but our mello line basically handled some of the hardest stuff I heard on the field that year, ALL divisions included. We didn't water the parts, we made it cooler and harder as the season went on.

In 2004, the mello line made practice tapes between camps and turned them in. Our tech (Tacco here on DCP) would listen carefully to each of our tapes and type up notes for us to work on for the next tape.

This was a great way to ensure that we were practicing our parts in between camps without taking away from rehearsal time to work on individuals. Not to toot my own horn (;op) but our mello line basically handled some of the hardest stuff I heard on the field that year, ALL divisions included. We didn't water the parts, we made it cooler and harder as the season went on.

Thats great! We need more of that, its a drive that you dont see in a lot of people about there playing in DCI.

drum corps is no longer about getting kids off the streat and teaching them how to play an instrument,

now it is expected that you already know how to march and play when you show up.

It's all about endorsements and marketing, and the members are ringchasers and mercenaries.

If you want masterclasses, go to college. I doubt you'll find them in drum corps

drum corps is no longer about getting kids off the streat and teaching them how to play an instrument,

now it is expected that you already know how to march and play when you show up.

It's all about endorsements and marketing, and the members are ringchasers and mercenaries.

If you want masterclasses, go to college. I doubt you'll find them in drum corps

This is the biggest collection of generalizations and BS I have seen. Bitter, party of one?? <**>

Drumcorps do plenty of teaching. No matter how good a musician you may be, there is always more you can learn.

Drumcorps is about performance, education, camraderie, and self-improvement. Members go to a corps that serves them the best. There are some "ringchasers" to be sure, but the vast majority of members stick to their corps.

VERY few people are even able to make a living at this activity.

Lots of good teaching going on out there. I am sorry that you didn't get your share.

Actually, you DO see that kind of drive in a lot of people out there playing in DCI. Well, I guess maybe YOU don't see it.

all I am saying is horn lines can go farther then they have been. Yes the tapes are great, I think all corps use the to a point. I am talking about during tour, everyone stops practicing. I am just saying we should never be happy with how we are playing, we should want to be 10 times better every year as players.