Which was more controversial?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. You decide

• 1993 Star
    • 2005 Cadets

I never thought Medea was controversial at all - just brilliant.

I thought The Zone was laugh-out-loud hysterical the first time I saw it, the equivilant of Drum Corps Satire. I thought the most "controversial" thing was the distraction of the ladies bopping about the audience during other performances.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wasn't around for the reaction to Star '93, so I can't say. My guess is that having the internet has really exaggerated the reaction to Cadets '05, though. Maybe the responses were the same, but now we have more opportunity to share them with everyone else, and every molehill eventually becomes a mountain.

As for me, I like 'em both, so no controversy here. :)

i really enjoyed both shows

the only thing that i didnt like about cadets 05 was the voice and drum speak, i mean i loved liquid and the ballad but the speaking is what i think made it controversal to some people

would it have been controversal if there was no voice or doorbell sounds???

Star 93 was an awesome show of its own too with an awesome hornline (the cadets was great too but i love the dynamic things that star 93 did)

and i agree with what Maedhros about the internet thing

Edited by bd euph some day

would it have been controversal if there was no voice or doorbell sounds???

not one bit. and that is why you just won the thread.

~>conner

Star has stirred thought for 13 years. Cadets 05 won't seem like a big deal as the pop-diva show rolls out. Yes, Cadets 06 might be cool. It might suck. But human voice harmony via amplification is going to be a very talked about occurrance. Cadets 05 will be the year "that drummer guy plowed the mic" or "that bjork thing". It won't push genre like Star did.

Does anybody remember Academie Musicale. In 1990 and years after. They (AM) did it first. They placed the responsibility of visual interpretation on the horns and drums. Very few things in Drum Corps are new.

And I thought I was the only one. Thank you for pointing that out! I was getting tired of hearing people go on and on about '93 Star as if they invented body movement....

I think what was so unusal and "controversial" about Star in '93 was how they conceived of General Effect and the way that they created those effects. It wasn't the immense about about non-marching visual responsibilties that were placed on the members, but it was that some of the most effective moments were the corps members contorting themselves while a small ensemble played. That was what was so unusual about that show. That is what made people boo. They didn't like how they were creating effect.

So, using this philsophy Star '93 will always be more controversial. Because Cadets '05 create effect the old fashioned way.

Edited by profhill

I think what was so unusal and "controversial" about Star in '93 was how they conceived of General Effect and the way that they created those effects. It wasn't the immense about about non-marching visual responsibilties that were placed on the members, but it was that some of the most effective moments were the corps members contorting themselves while a small ensemble played. That was what was so unusual about that show. That is what made people boo. They didn't like how they were creating effect.

So, using this philsophy Star '93 will always be more controversial. Because Cadets '05 create effect the old fashioned way.

I stated last summer after I saw the show that I didn't think most of it was ground breaking. It was mostly typical Cadets; lots of notes, fast marching.

I think a better post would be Star 93 v Cadets 93.

My thoughts? The best corps won in 1993. The best corps also won in 2005, although I didn't like Cadets 2005. For the most part, the judges really do know what they're doing.

My opinion is that the best Star performance was finals week in 90. I think 93 became such a big deal only because it was Star's final year of DCI competition. If SCV had quit in 88 when they lost to Madison, then we'd be going on about how Phantom of the Opera "changed" the activity.

To paraphrase Terrible Terry Tate, "only quitters quit, and SCV is a hitter, not a quitter. Believe that!"