2006 New Uniforms/Alterations?

Yes, true, scores of 3rd and 4th place don't help you win 1st place...

Cuz it's all about the competition. :laugh:

He never said that it was all about competition. However they DO hand out trophies at the end of the night, so competition IS part of it no matter how taboo that sounds to some people.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's all keep in mind Cavaliers got the highest score in history with a third place drumline.

~>conner

everyone should go back to their original unis that would be pretty cool...heck lets get everyone to do the old school high march and a stand still

Madison will look and sound like Madison, no matter what they wear. I too am partial to their pre-2003 uniforms, but I liked the current ones too. and the new ones, I'm sure I will like.

I'm not even talking "pre-2003". I think what they have been wearing since 2003 has been great! I'd just assume they stay there for a while. It's seems to be working out fine for them. Why are THEY in such a hurry to change?

Why is everyone in such a hurry to change? BD has had theirs for 2 years, SCV will be on their third uni in 3 years, phantom has had the white for 3 years. It seems like Cavies are one of the only corps that hasn't had a big change in a while.

Why is everyone in such a hurry to change? BD has had theirs for 2 years, SCV will be on their third uni in 3 years, phantom has had the white for 3 years. It seems like Cavies are one of the only corps that hasn't had a big change in a while.

Well, I suppose we are in the midst of an era where what a corps wears is not as much about "uniformity and identity" and more about "portrayal of the show". Which...you have to admit makes sense in the context of what we are seeing in the 21st century. The more shows become geared towards thematic context, the more what the corps wears has to portray that. As much as I hate to say it, it's really more of a "costume" now as opposed to a "uniform". Believe it or not, this is not the first time we have seen this type of trend in the activity. In the 70s, color guards matched the rest of the corps and in most cases wore the exact same jackets. They were even called "uniforms". Now, we call them "guard costumes". Come the early 80s, guards began to change costumes on an average of every 2-3 years. Now? It's something different every year. Today, what the brass and percussion are wearing is about where it was for the guard in the early 80s. Sooner or later, it will be every year, I believe. Unless of course it starts to really become too much of a fanancial burdon. If it gets that bad though, even the guard situation may change. I'm just guessing and speculating though. I could be way off base.

Edited by torn8o

I think you're right. If you look at WGI, which in many ways preempts DCI in many changes, the lines and guards there also have new unis every year, to fit the show. DCI has a lot more tradition and resistance to change than WGI, for good or ill. Whereas WGI does not have nearly as many built in ideas and such. WGI lines never started out wearing the same unis every year, so there is no resistance or or even second thought when they change.

I happen to think Crossmen have one of the best looking uniforms in DCI, at the moment. They're very sharp.

me and a friend of mine had been talking about this... I soon came to the conclusion that Crossmen's uniforms are GREAT up close, but kind of a mess from far away.

A little silver/white would cure this in a heartbeat.

~>conner

I'm not even talking "pre-2003". I think what they have been wearing since 2003 has been great! I'd just assume they stay there for a while. It's seems to be working out fine for them. Why are THEY in such a hurry to change?

I don't think it's about being in a "hurry" to change...from what I understand, the current uni was meant to be a transition from the old to the new. I believe it was in their long-term goals to have a new uniform design after these 3 years anyway. Besides...finals are in Madison this year...and I'm sure they fully intended to go BIG for Mad-town. :)