Parents and Corps

both my mother and father marched in the 50's and 60's. they are the ones who got me my bothers and sister involved. MY father drove bus and my mother did whaat ever else was necessary. My parents made alot of sacrifices for us to march. my father would give up his vacations to drive on tour and fix the buses when they needed to be repaired. Even if that meant meeting the corp on tour when he wasn't on vacation.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad was a band director for 25 years. He didn't care for corps style marching, thought it was too regiment. But he knew that the experience would be great for me because I loved the marching aspect of band, and he knew that I would enjoy being a member of a corps.

Even though he retired while I was still in school, he only came to three performances....luckily, he saw the Corps' performance in Allentown (DCI East) in '91. That was enough for him to realize that Drum Corps is a good sport.

Luckily, he followed drum corps up until his death in '98...sadly, he didn't see finals that year. My mom let me do anything I wanted, so it was always up to my dad.

I don't think my parents "got it" when I first told them about wanting to audition for a drum corps. However they were always supportive of my choices and went along with this one too. My mom took me to my first auditions (however the experience wasn't the greatest) and was amazed with the activity but not so much the corps I had chosen. She "got it" by the end of audition camp though.

My dad was never to thrilled about the idea because he never "got it" either. When I first left for tour we got into a huge fight about it. However he ended up driving our equipment truck for a full month (a driver left us on tour and my dad is an over-the-road truck driver) and the first show he saw was in Orlando, FL. Needless to say after us watching us reherse for the day and perform he got it and now he's hooked!!!

my parents were very supportive when I marched. They made ever show that was near my home. and championships every year I marched. They have both passed away now. I Can still look at the tapes of the 88 championships and see them in the stands during the national anthem near pepe nataro. Kinda makes that years championships special to me. But I digress.. Yeas they were 110% supportive> I could'nt have asked for any better.

My parents made my experience almost unbearable... They hated the idea of my wasting my life in drum corps. They never went to a show from 1979 until 2003 (my marching years) They tried to discourage me as much as possible even kicking me out of the house. I lived in import houses my entire drum corps career as if I had come from out of state to be in the Blue Devils. My parents lived in San Jose which is only an hour drive from Concord.

Finally in my last year of eligibility they brought my grandmother to Spartan Stadium to see "The Pacific Procession" This was in 1983, I was 20 yrs old. This was really cool because my grandmother only lived for another 2 years and I got to show her what I had been doing with my life. She was definately impressed. After the show my parents came to me and expressed extreme sorrow for not showing me any support. So even though things were tough while marching after getting to watch their son play a solo in a show of that quality my parents and I found a way to work past all the bad stuff and start over again.

Tony Signorelli

SJ Raiders 79-80

Concord Blue Devils 81-83

Lead Barritone

my parents dont want me to march, I dont think.

~>conner

Conner.... I really need to come down to visit you & your parents!!! With your enthusiasm, it is a crying shame that you are not marching. Let me know if I can help in any way. :(

Is import housing a host family?

Dad loves it after seeing a show this summer, but both are concerned about my marching interfering with college. If I can make it work with college, they're all for it.

My feeling is, if you're over eighteen and your parents don't like you marching corps, just do it! Don't worry about what they think! If you have trouble finding housing, talk to your corps leaders or go to

http://www.homestayfinder.com

which is a network of host families. I have had four host families from this site. You can either pay just rent or be treated like a part of the family with meals provided. Check it out! Also check out:

http://www.homestayweb.com

Hope this helps some of you. It's your life, live it to the fullest! Do whatever it takes for your corps!

My mother made my flight up to the Bay Area to audition for BD my 83 Xmas present....when I made teh corps, my birthday present was my full tour fee....gave the check to Mike Moxley when he picjed me up at SF airport in early Jan when I moved up.

When I ran short of funds while waiting for my first McD's paycheck to arrive, she gave me a few bucks. From then on, I was allright.

At the end of the season, she did NOT call to tell me her mother had passed away because it was 2 days before finals and she didn;t want to distract me, as there was nothing I could do...found out after I finally got back to San Diego.

In 1996, when she was starting to decline from lung cancer (although we thought it was Lupus at the time), she went to the corps show in San Diego to see Nightfire, which I was directing. She stayed for the entire show, even though she was very tired from teh disease.

Your mom sounds like a remarkable and amazing woman.

Mike