And difficulty means more than just the number of notes. Being so proud of your status at the Peabody conservatory, I would hope you'd know that by now...

Yes true, notes are not music (although mozart loved them), my problem with the lack of notes is that I don't see enough variation between each year's show. Sure one year you might want to have a show thats doesnt have a lot of notes but its musically effective, the problem is this is the same every year with the cavalier's shows. I want to see them try new ways to make their shows effective, one of those, is maybe having a little more technical of a horn and battery book. I don't like stylistic cookie cutter shows.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy Music: No one really commented about that, guess you think the cavaliers have easy music. Seriously though, the cavaliers really need to challenge themselves musically. Spin Cycle, Frameworks,Four Corners sure you claim ! Oh there just minimilistic shows. You can't make that an excuse for not having challening music, minimilistic does not have to mean simple.

I admit I usually just lurk here... but your inane and immature comments have my blood boiling a little.

I would argue that the minimalist approach (I'm not convinced that the shows you mention are minimalist... <**> ) usually mean a lot of exposure.

I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are on the orignial minimalist show, Star '93, are. Was that simplistic in your mind as well?

Personally, I usually think the Cavies have one of the most balanced and well blended musical ensembles on the field year to year. It may not be the most challenging book in terms of notes and licks, but to get the blend, and timing correct with the individual marching demands that the Cavies are famous for takes a lot of talent and maturity from the musicians on the field.

To me the Cavies sound like magic. That's about as close as I can come to an adjective describing their sound.

If it ain't broke, it don't need fixing.

I admit I usually just lurk here... but your inane and immature comments have my blood boiling a little.

I would argue that the minimalist approach (I'm not convinced that the shows you mention are minimalist... <**> ) usually mean a lot of exposure.

I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are on the orignial minimalist show, Star '93, are. Was that simplistic in your mind as well?

Personally, I usually think the Cavies have one of the most balanced and well blended musical ensembles on the field year to year. It may not be the most challenging book in terms of notes and licks, but to get the blend, and timing correct with the individual marching demands that the Cavies are famous for takes a lot of talent and maturity from the musicians on the field.

I agree I think they perform exceptionally well. They are great at maximizing the potential of a show.

I really enjoy the cavie's shows, but there are three things that I think at some point needed to be addressed. So I voiced my opinion. I think my comments were completely valid. If you can explain exactly was immature about my comment then I'll retract it, but at the moment I don't see any problem with voicing my opinion on what could make a great group even better.

Nice First Post

I agree I think they perform exceptionally well. They are great at maximizing the potential of a show.

I really enjoy the cavie's shows, but there are three things that I think at some point needed to be addressed. So I voiced my opinion. I think my comments were completely valid. If you can explain exactly was immature about my comment then I'll retract it, but at the moment I don't see any problem with voicing my opinion on what could make a great group even better.

Nice First Post

Adam,

While your subsequent post explaining your opinion was indeed insightful and well thought out, your original post (complete with a somewhat objectionable and unecessary jab at the mental capacity of the kids who march in the Cavaliers) left a little to be desired in the maturity column.

I don't know the guy who you're responding to, but I'll lay dollars to doughnuts that's what he's referring to.

Stef

So I've enjoyed reading these posts for some time. All I want to say is I personally know the brass caption head at the Cavaliers and if you only knew the musical approach they took there you'd be singing a different tune. For some of those guys who've been marching for a couple years, they've received some of the highest musical training available. Or maybe one of you would like to play an eight count concert F for them and have some one point out a minimum ten things wrong with it. From knowing David, I know that's how his students learn. Yeah, it's a different ball club there. Criticize it all you like but when it comes down to it, your ears probably just aren't developed in the ways theirs are to recognize the greatness they achieve. This isn't a personal jab or anything, more of general statement.

I fully agree. Definitely consistent year in and year out. Just wish they had more volume at times is all. That's probably changing this year though with the addition of a few more horns. ^OO^

okay, back on topic here . . . the thing says their playing Wynton Marsalis.

anyone have ANY idea what they would be playing of Wynton's . . .?

and if there's only Beltrami and Wynton mentioned as source material, does that mean a LOT of wynton and beltrami, for the whole show? Or will it be like Niagara falls where there was some original stuff in there?

questions . . . questions that need answering.

okay, back on topic here . . . the thing says their playing Wynton Marsalis.

anyone have ANY idea what they would be playing of Wynton's . . .?

and if there's only Beltrami and Wynton mentioned as source material, does that mean a LOT of wynton and beltrami, for the whole show? Or will it be like Niagara falls where there was some original stuff in there?

questions . . . questions that need answering.

To paraphrase a great actor in an outstanding movie: "Those who talk, don't know. Those who know, don't talk."

Needless to say, I can't wait to see this show on the field in a few months!!

--

doug

Nice First Post

Thanks Stef, I couldn't have answered it better.

The 'mentally challenged' comment was what I was referring to as immature.

I actually agree with you on some aspects of the uniform design. I have a friend that calls the Cavie uniform 'posture in a box'. The long black bibs with a short skit and top heavy white elements definately draw the eye upward and away from possible posture imperfections - but good for them and Cesario for designing the uni that way.

Adam, I invite you to come out and see the Cavies rehearse sometime. It may not change your mind about the difficulty of the show, but I think you'll see that the members are far from 'mentally challenged', and the instruction and level of musicianship is top notch.