"C Trumpets"?

Is it not understoof why Trombones are not in DCI?

Ok, I'll tell you.

Drill.

You can't do the tight moving drill design techniques of today with trombones on the field. Its just not possible. The radius around which you much write around the trombone player is just too prohibitive for a DCI corps.

Yes, I know high school bands have them, but they don't get in as close, for that very reason.

It certainly would cause the drill righter a few sleepless nights.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change for the sake of change? That's good enough of a reason for woodwind pushers!

Fortunately for us "C Trumpet pushers", :P the same cannot be said. Trust me geluf and the guy I was talking to last night, there really is a very notable difference in sound between a C Trumpet and a Bb. So, stop making my hair greyer with the statement that they aren't. Trust me, I don't need more grey hair. I have plenty.

I did say marching bass trombones did I not? I was certainly not trying to put a slide on a corps field, sorry for the confusion. But yes, I haven't seen anyone make a valved bass trombone which would be fun to see.

And if one day a corps ever did go to C, it'd be fun to put the mello's back to G to keep the interval the same between instruments. Hurray G altos. But then again I've never seen a baritone/euph/trombone/any tenor instrument in C before...have I?

Oh gosh. Give me patience! I already explained how that is not true on page 2 post 19. I even referenced some places to examine that fact if you don't believe me...

http://www.trumpetguild.org/

C trumpets carry VERY stark contrast in timbre. This is a FACT - not an opinion.

Give me a little bit of credit, you are not the only music major on this board...not the only trumpet player.

Indeed, the sound differences are vast...in controlled settings. When you are trying to blast someone's face off...well, thats a whole different story.

I'm well aware of how a trumpet works.

As and aside: While you and I may be able to appreciate the differences...average joe fan will not. We are trained to notice such things.

Now look, you've gone and given me flashbacks of Aural Training classes. *shudder*

Edited by geluf

Completely off the topic of C trumpets (although I am intrigued about cornets), I seem to remember seeing some pictures from about 1978/79 in the DCI year book of the Madison Scouts, and at least a couple of people were playing something that I can only describe as a "trombone bugle." It looked like a 2-valve trombone, except for no slide (even a valve t-bone has a non-moving slide). Did the marching trombone take the place of this instrument, or were the '70s the "wild west days of drumcorps," where there would have been a "kitchen sink bugle" if Olds or Getzen could have made it? just curious.

Edited by davidp

Give me a little bit of credit, you are not the only music major on this board...not the only trumpet player.

Indeed, the sound differences are vast...in controlled settings. When you are trying to blast someone's face off...well, thats a whole different story.

I'm well aware of how a trumpet works.

As and aside: While you and I may be able to appreciate the differences...average joe fan will not. We are trained to notice such things.

Now look, you've gone and given me flashbacks of Aural Training classes. *shudder*

Then why the big deal about the sound differences between Gs and Bbs? The contrast between Cs and Bbs is just as noticable to the average joe as it is for Gs and Bbs.

We know the answer though, don't we? And it's a valid one! And the same answer can be given for the use of Cs. :)

Edited by torn8o

Fortunately for us "C Trumpet pushers", :P the same cannot be said. Trust me geluf and the guy I was talking to last night, there really is a very notable difference in sound between a C Trumpet and a Bb. So, stop making my hair greyer with the statement that they aren't. Trust me, I don't need more grey hair. I have plenty.

Hey I'm not trying to say that they're the same sound. I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't be used, I'm just still wondering WHY use C's? Or HOW would you use them? Let's say you're the brass caption head/designer. How would you use them?

In that case, why would any drumline strain to play any cleaner than they do? Most of us horn guys can't even tell the difference between the top 5 battery's because they're all still good. In the end the overall package will be better whether your best friends mom's cousin knows why or not.

Hey I'm not trying to say that they're the same sound.

Sorry, that part wasn't really directed at you. It was directed more at gluf and the guy I was talking to on page two. Sorry for the confusion (and reply to the wrong user). My bad.

I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't be used, I'm just still wondering WHY use C's? Or HOW would you use them? Let's say you're the brass caption head/designer. How would you use them?

Well, again...I think they could be used for CERTAIN trumpet/soprano solos where the original was played on a C. I mentioned a couple of selections last night somwhere around page 2 where the use of Cs would be effective and offer the appropriate sound and timbre (hint hint) for the style of music. As I also said, I can't see an entire section using them. It would be something only used for the solo itself. Much like how pics have been used in the past. You use it for what it's needed and effective for then you go back to the Bb for the rest of the show.

Edited by torn8o

the main reasons why C trumpets are used in orchestra are

-easier transposition

-C trumpets cut through the orchestra more with less effort

The timbre of a C is generally a little brighter than their Bb counterparts. C trumpets are the standard in US symphonies, but over in Russia, the players prefer a darker, heavier sound, so they use Bb.

I don't see a purpose of adding C trumpets to a drum corps section. The only thing that would happen would be a slightly different timbre change. I could see a section of 1st and 2nd trumpets playing C's, and the third's use Bb's to brigde the tonal gap between 3 trumpets and mellophones.

If we break out the C's, we might as well break out D, Eb, and Piccolo Trumpets as well as cornets and just make it freakin brass band. A moving and playing brass band. That would be impressive seeing a group play any ewazen brass band piece while moving.

Edited by fnchdrms87