Simple enough question. I seem to remember in the corps that I marched that not everyone in the guard marched the whole show. I am not talking about alternates and such. I mean full members. Out of say, 40 in the guard, only around 30 are in for each song or whatnot. Is this a normal procedure?

If so, why?

Edited by G-Cym

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it may have a lot to do with the level of the members marching and what they are trying to accomplish in their show. Some parts the choreographer may only want sabres, or only want flags that can do a certain toss, or there might just not be room on the field for that many guard at that point in the show. Much like there has to be musical balance, there needs to be a visual balance as well.

Simple enough question. I seem to remember in the corps that I marched that not everyone in the guard marched the whole show. I am not talking about alternates and such. I mean full members. Out of say, 40 in the guard, only around 30 are in for each song or whatnot. Is this a normal procedure?

If so, why?

Sometimes it has to do with the drill also. Certain forms and groups are easier to make with a different amount of members. Also, sometimes guard members get hurt and can only perform a small part of their show. Other times, members are cut from a part of the show for "excellence" reasons....

And sometimes, alternates do get to be in parts of a show! It's a strange concept but I know of instances where it's happened (And they were still considered alternates).

Another question. With all the need for more horn players, even to the extent that whole sections of the corps are being cut, would it not be alright to cut the size of a normal guard by 4 or 5 members?

I guess I am just amazed that there seems to be such a need for morn horn players or even more guard, when not even the whole guard is in the whole show.

Another question. With all the need for more horn players, even to the extent that whole sections of the corps are being cut, would it not be alright to cut the size of a normal guard by 4 or 5 members?

I guess I am just amazed that there seems to be such a need for morn horn players or even more guard, when not even the whole guard is in the whole show.

what was it, Cadets 86 that they had a really tiny guard?

Is this more bitterness towards corps lack of cymbal lines nowadays?

Is this more bitterness towards corps lack of cymbal lines nowadays?

I would assume so. If it's true that they do sit out for entire productions, I would have to agree with him.