Derry Patriots Reunion

Also, were you talking about Jack Dell as the corps director or Clayton Lindsey?

Thanks,

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey GregZ, What year were you talking about the 52 score for the Patriots?

Question #2 Do I know you? Are you the Greg Z that used to march with the Rockets?

Thanks, Gregg S.

Hey Gregg S, I think the year was 1960 or somewhere around there. Yessssssss, you know me, LOL LOL. I did march Rockets for a coupole years, but before that I was in Esquires, Latrobe Colonials and Derry Patriots.

You're very welcome,

Greg Z............ya gotta LOVE that DAHS band.

Also, were you talking about Jack Dell as the corps director or Clayton Lindsey?

Thanks,

I was referring to Buzz Kestner. Not sure who succeeded him as corps director.

Hey GregZ, What year were you talking about the 52 score for the Patriots?

Question #2 Do I know you? Are you the Greg Z that used to march with the Rockets?

Thanks, Gregg S.

I got to thinking about this Derry drum corps thing tonight and boy, I think I messed up big time. I think the original corps in Derry was called the Crusaders. They gave the corps an opportunity to vote on the name and I'm pretty sure the two choices were Crusaders and Centurians. They voted for Crusaders. The corps just marched in fireman's parades, which there were very many of then, for a couple years. Seems to me they went on the field in about 1962 give or take. When the name Patriots came into play, I don't know. The Crusaders must have folded and then the corps was formed again under the name Patriots, maybe. The ironic thing is, most of the guys in the corps were teenagers and it was considered a senior corps, lol. Talk about all-age corps....those corps back then were actually all-age corps, so maybe they were one of the originals. Sorry for the confusion, but I think this should set the record straight.

IF I recall so many years ago when I joined, It think I was told the name changed when it became a junior corps.

Why do I think I know you too???

We had a Sharpsburg Cadet reunion over the labor day weekend. Get a hold of John Menosky, he's interested.

IF I recall so many years ago when I joined, It think I was told the name changed when it became a junior corps.

Why do I think I know you too???

You just may know me, John, but I'm not sure. Your name sounds so familiar....it's gonna drive me crazy until I figure it out.

Greg Z, I remember Kestner, he was related to the Burd's. I think he was Jim Burd's uncle. I believe the corps became the Patriots in 65 when Jack Dell took over as director. Clayton Lindsay of funeral home fame, was previously the director before Jack. When I joined Lindsay was getting out and the firemen were breaking all ties with the corps. I really need to call Jack Dell and get the story correct. I remember the write-ups in old show programs stating that the corps began in 1947. I'll definitely find out!

Hey Jeff, Oscar already called me about the reunion! He said you called and told him. We are trying to get to go and see his band soon, so I will forward any details as I get them.

Thanks, Gregg

We had a Sharpsburg Cadet reunion over the labor day weekend. Get a hold of John Menosky, he's interested.

Ahhhhhh, there's my favorite DCW writer...Love your columns, Jeff. I had the privilege of marching with your father for a couple years with the Rockets. Then I used to sit near your mother and father at the Baldwin shows.

I still think of someone who was with Sharpsburg...Karl something or other??? He instructed the Esquires for a while, I think.