Derry Patriots Reunion

I crazy thing happened awhile ago at a band show in Western PA. A group of former members of the Derry Patriots Drum and Bugle Corps got together and decided to hold a reunion. Somehow out of that meeting someone proposed that we get together and march in the Latrobe 4th of July parade. Sounds crazy... but sometimes crazy ideas birth cool happenings. With all of our busy schedules and whatnot, it is vitually impossible for some of us to participate in the drum corps hobby that we have grown up to love. With the success of the Westshoremen Alumni and others, we believe it can happen for us. At this stage, we are just trying to comprise a database of names of interested people who might consider participating in this endeavor. We have decided that marching in this parade is not limited to former members of the Patriots, but rather anyone who wants to jump in may do so. It is only a one-time affair... There are absolutely no plans to continue after the parade. Maybe it could be a yearly event, but that is it. We agree that if you wanted to march fulltime, you would be doing so. If you have even the slightest interest, please email me and we will send out information as soon as we get it. My email address is sweendoc@netscape.net

P.S. Remember, it's not just for those who marched from 1965-1977, but for anyone who wants to have fun and attend the big party afterwards!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I crazy thing happened awhile ago at a band show in Western PA. A group of former members of the Derry Patriots Drum and Bugle Corps got together and decided to hold a reunion. Somehow out of that meeting someone proposed that we get together and march in the Latrobe 4th of July parade. Sounds crazy... but sometimes crazy ideas birth cool happenings. With all of our busy schedules and whatnot, it is vitually impossible for some of us to participate in the drum corps hobby that we have grown up to love. With the success of the Westshoremen Alumni and others, we believe it can happen for us. At this stage, we are just trying to comprise a database of names of interested people who might consider participating in this endeavor. We have decided that marching in this parade is not limited to former members of the Patriots, but rather anyone who wants to jump in may do so. It is only a one-time affair... There are absolutely no plans to continue after the parade. Maybe it could be a yearly event, but that is it. We agree that if you wanted to march fulltime, you would be doing so. If you have even the slightest interest, please email me and we will send out information as soon as we get it. My email address is sweendoc@netscape.net

P.S. Remember, it's not just for those who marched from 1965-1977, but for anyone who wants to have fun and attend the big party afterwards!!!

Ah the days of seeing the Derry Patriots in most shows we attended. I somehow always remember a contest that was hosted by Derry and had us (Royal Coachmen), Precious Blood Cardinals, and I think Royal Crusaders. All the corps were practicing in the parking lot for some reason.

Wish you all the best!!!

In the parking lot, or in the parking garage, Keith??

that show would have been in Latrobe, and might have been one of the more memorable b/c some of the corps warmed up in the garage next to the stadium. I just remember the whole downtown resonating with all the sound being pumped out from that garage that year.

and I am always amazed when people actually remember our little corps.

Gregg - have your people call my people!

Edited by lipsprain

I remember it was in the parking lot. In fact, the Cardinals were doing some type of dance. It looked like an Indian dance actually.

I remember it was in the parking lot. In fact, the Cardinals were doing some type of dance. It looked like an Indian dance actually.

Keith, I'm not sure of that year, was it 74, 75, 76 or 77? We had several shows at Latrobe Memorial Stadium and those years seem to all run togerther! I remeber your show though, in fact I think I have an 8 track tape of the entire competition! Unfortunately no way of playing the tape. Those were great days, the only cares were valve/rotors and girls!!! :)

Keith, I'm not sure of that year, was it 74, 75, 76 or 77? We had several shows at Latrobe Memorial Stadium and those years seem to all run togerther! I remeber your show though, in fact I think I have an 8 track tape of the entire competition! Unfortunately no way of playing the tape. Those were great days, the only cares were valve/rotors and girls!!! :)

Love to get a recording! Maybe it was 1974 or 75. I know it wasn't 76.

girls?????? Bring back CD of A !!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Their gorgeous color guard captain was all mine. Sigh......oh wow, the memories.

Just a lil Derry Patriots trivia....When the corps was formed, the director had the members vote on a name for the corps. He gave two choices. Patriots and Centurians. Obviously, the members voted for the Patriots. Where he came up with those two names, I will never know.

I think their very first field competition, after just marching parades for a couple years, was in Glassport at the same stadium that South Allegheny High School still uses. I can still hear the scores...."and in fifth place. with a score of fifty two point zero, 52.0................the Derry Patriots".

Just a lil Derry Patriots trivia....When the corps was formed, the director had the members vote on a name for the corps. He gave two choices. Patriots and Centurians. Obviously, the members voted for the Patriots. Where he came up with those two names, I will never know.

I think their very first field competition, after just marching parades for a couple years, was in Glassport at the same stadium that South Allegheny High School still uses. I can still hear the scores...."and in fifth place. with a score of fifty two point zero, 52.0................the Derry Patriots".

I've had fond memories of Derry and all the corps of the O-Penn circuit and RCA. We had a great thing back then, I wish everyone from back then would get together and put this area back on the map as a Drumcorps centerpiece.

Jeff Danchik,

Royal Crusaders,

Steel City Ambassodors,

Erie Thunderbirds,

Mon Valley Express

Hey GregZ, What year were you talking about the 52 score for the Patriots?

Question #2 Do I know you? Are you the Greg Z that used to march with the Rockets?

Thanks, Gregg S.