Boy, we sure seem to be getting conflicting stories here. CrossmenAlumni says he always knew and coordinated the event and was only on the teaching staff. You say that the teaching staff never were in on it but only the administration.
Cordinating the implementation and deciding which shows to have it implemented are two different things. Always loved this tradition. Saw it first in '90. Keep the stories coming.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, for those of you who have marched with Crossmen - is it safe to say that some of your best shows are when he shows up?

The energy on the fields those nights...it's unlike no other!!!! It's pretty safe to say! :)

I have to say one of my favorite Bones sightings as a member (besides Allentown 2003) was Franklin Field 2002. It was the year when the Cadets had those flashing red bulbs for the American show. Bones was obviously there since it was DCI East, but as we were walking to the on field warmup, I'm pretty sure he was facing backwards (someone help me out.) When we all turned to do our on-field warmup, Bones was facing forward and he was raising his head as he was expanding the cape, and all you see where his eyes flashing dark red. I'll never forget the feeling I had and how enjoyable that performance was.

I Marched in 80 and 81 .

Bones in Birmingham as the corps made it back into finals Was very very cool. And , Yes it does provide an emotional lift. I got a great look that year from under the goal post with a broken foot!!!

81--We were wondering if he could speak French , so he could talk his way past the Montreal security . He was there . And i vividly remember thinking , That dude can get in anywhere !!!!

Gary , Help me out here was it 2000 or 2001 when there was a second bones lurking in Allentown ?? I thought .this could get interesting . A bones rumble in the Allentown park.

As to how " Bones : got started ............. Hopkins tells the best story of the word Bones and it;s relationship to the corps . Generating from the snare and percussion features of that time. 1978 , when George and Thom Hannum were both in the snare line.

As to the Mystic of the Figure .... Malibu is pretty much in line with what I knew coming in 1980. If you think it is cool now . I can only tell you it sent shivers thru me everytime when I marched because it was so different than anyone else and as Malibu stated we were still wearing the capes then. It was like the spirit of every Crossmen member before you would shoot thru your veins and that THIS NIGHT is one I would remember forever. We were not alone and were not to be forgotten.

Some corps have songs, some have Mascots. We have " BONES "

Jeff

So, I was wondering where the name Bones comes from for the Crossmen, and what does it mean?

Answer to your original question.

When Bones first appeared in front of us in the backstands in '78 we didn't know what to think... His original name as we called him was "The Fan-Tom."

At the time, we called a lot of things "Bones" back then (which I won't spoil any secrets). But there was even a dog named Bones that we picked up along tour. He was very skinny and was going around to our food plates at one of our housing sites. I think it was Atlanta. Anyway, we put him on the bus and he traveled with us for the rest of the tour home. He ended up living with "Archie."

As the corps progressed into 79-80... the Fan-tom name wore off and we started to call him Bones too.

What does it mean? You ask:

Bones represents the spirit of Crossmen and all those who marched with them in the past. He is inspiration, spirit, discipline, strength, and hope. He is our History.

where the F did this topic come from?!

Nothing wrong with bumping this up just before a regional! :)