Surf makes the switch

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No... not another to Bb <**> <**> <**>

Switching to Bb doesnt help score... unless its just biased from the judges and DCI community! YOu should score the same with either Bb or G, its all the members and brass staff.

Personally, I was considering Surf because they were in G instead of a Div I corps... if this is true, I just lost intrest (looking to play G in DCI,.. I LOVE the sound of a G horn!

(Im not meaning to start a war, just my personal thoughts)

I don't mean to say that switching to Bb automatically gets you a higher brass score, and I have heard plenty of awesome lines that were G hornlines... But I think at the lower levels (D 2/3) where you don't have the talent and staff you do in the top three it's a lot harder to get a quality sound out of a G hornline. I think it just comes with the younger players not being able to work through the tuning issues that come with the G horns as well as BD/Cavies/Cadets etc. would. Also with the longer tubing and larger bore, air support can be an issue.

Just my two cents, though. Feel free to disagree with me.

never mind....

Edited by Percussion827

No... not another to Bb <**> <**> <**>

Switching to Bb doesnt help score... unless its just biased from the judges and DCI community! YOu should score the same with either Bb or G, its all the members and brass staff.

Personally, I was considering Surf because they were in G instead of a Div I corps... if this is true, I just lost intrest (looking to play G in DCI,.. I LOVE the sound of a G horn!

(Im not meaning to start a war, just my personal thoughts)

You're basing your comitment to a corps based on whether or not they play in G? What key you play in doesn't effect the experience of marching with a world class organization like Surf.

key matters not. volume will be lost tho and Surf had volume

Key is not really making my commitment to them. I enjoyed the fact that they were in G, and that was a pro for them.

If I am going to be in Bb though... why not go Div I??? Like someone said, better staff, better players.. might as well.

Granted, it does take lots of air volume to play a G (I am marching a G euphonium.. I know what air support is) and it does take a little more for tuning.

BUT - IMO - the best brass line is a line that could be a musician and listen and tune themselves. Granted, Bb could make it easier to tune... but isnt part of scoring musicianship. To me... that included the ability to control pitch and tune. If i was a judge (obviously im not) I would feel that a hornline on G HAS to be better at musicianship to produce the same quality of tone and pitch, hence, making the hornline louder and making them better musicians.

I dont want to turn this into another Bb/G war. I just have my opinions and know the reasons for switching to Bb. (Whether it is to band kids into corps, or even tuning.) I just love the sound of a G line, and hate the sound of a trumpet when the score is not written correctly makes me cringe.

If Surf does indeed switch to Bb... congrats, enjoy the horns.

I just feel you lose the volume and power of a G line, let alone the tone and/or sound of a G line. It saddens me that G lines are disappearing... I love the sound... I dont want to see it disappear!

Key is not really making my commitment to them. I enjoyed the fact that they were in G, and that was a pro for them.

If I am going to be in Bb though... why not go Div I??? Like someone said, better staff, better players.. might as well.

Granted, it does take lots of air volume to play a G (I am marching a G euphonium.. I know what air support is) and it does take a little more for tuning.

BUT - IMO - the best brass line is a line that could be a musician and listen and tune themselves. Granted, Bb could make it easier to tune... but isnt part of scoring musicianship. To me... that included the ability to control pitch and tune. If i was a judge (obviously im not) I would feel that a hornline on G HAS to be better at musicianship to produce the same quality of tone and pitch, hence, making the hornline louder and making them better musicians.

I dont want to turn this into another Bb/G war. I just have my opinions and know the reasons for switching to Bb. (Whether it is to band kids into corps, or even tuning.) I just love the sound of a G line, and hate the sound of a trumpet when the score is not written correctly makes me cringe.

If Surf does indeed switch to Bb... congrats, enjoy the horns.

I just feel you lose the volume and power of a G line, let alone the tone and/or sound of a G line. It saddens me that G lines are disappearing... I love the sound... I dont want to see it disappear!

Good points, there.