Voicing for minicorps

I'm new at this, so please humor me. What is the voicing for most minicorps? In other words, how many parts (I'm not the arranger, I'm just doing some legwork)? Would you write for a "super-quintet," where parts are doubled/tripled, or would the voicing be more like a brass choir? I'm sure it all depends on how many horns you have, and how many of each instrument, but I'm interested in how everybody does it. We're finally meeting here in suburban Atlanta, and our next meeting/rehearsal is tomorrow night. One task upcoming is deciding on a name (right now, we're "Corps; Drum and Bugle (Mini); One Each." :) ). You all have been very helpful already, and I appreciate it.

...........our mix changes from year to year as the book requires, but last year we had:

3 Lead Sops

2 2nd Sops

2 3rd Sops

2 Lead Mellis

2 2nd Mellis

2 Lead Baris

1 2nd Bari

1 3rd Bari

2 Contras

4 Percussion (1 Snare, 1 Tenors, 1 Bass(es) 1 Keyboard/Pit)

21 Total

Arrange for what you have. Like it was just said, things change from year to year to go with your strenghts. When your memebers enjoy what they're playing you'll be successful.

I believe one year an all Sop Corps competed and did very well.

Have fun and good luck, I'm sure you'll get lots of help from arrangers here. DA give a helping thought or two here.

Edited by Rap48

(right now, we're "Corps; Drum and Bugle (Mini); One Each." :) ).

And, I, for one, think you should keep it! ^0^

The traditonal voicings of drum corps have been a 9 part arrangement;

3 soprano

2 mellophone

3 baritone

1 contrabass

Of course there are many variations, but that would be standard. With the bigger brass lines, you will find split lead writing for sopranos, a separate euphonium voicing, and split contra bass parts.

Mass Brass uses the traditional 9 parts on most scores. Occasionally, there are lead splits on sops, mellos and baris as well as solo parts but the 9 outlined above is a good format to shoot for, IMHO.

However, as Dick points out, ultimately you should write to the strengths of your group.

For Govies, we just use everybody who gets on the bus, and I think we took the high drumming award last year.

Thanks very much for the input. It's greatly appreciated. You all are the best. Right now, we have 2 trumpets, one horn (me), and a baritone. I'm hoping that certainly we'll add more people soon, as word gets around. Thanks again :).