Old WGI Photos

lnavis

Doug Smith gave me this and said I could post. The guard was competing in a show at Holley, NY in 1977?

This image may take time to load to your monitor. Does anyone know who they are? Thank you.

Wow, sharp photo! Thanks for posting it, Linda!

The insignia on the flag should give a clue. Is it an eagle?

Wow, sharp photo! Thanks for posting it, Linda!

The insignia on the flag should give a clue. Is it an eagle?

Or maybe a Phoenix?

Or maybe a Phoenix?

Or maybe a Hawk? If this was 1977, I was 2000+ miles away. Just asking for confirmation. Thanks.

...um...hi...spring...1977...

w-g-07aenhanced-a.jpg

edit...a memory...my white gauchos...comfortable during dress rehearsal...an afterthought...a post to another thread...in context http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...6263&st=350

Edited by lindap

Or maybe a Hawk? If this was 1977, I was 2000+ miles away. Just asking for confirmation. Thanks.

...um...hi...spring...1977...

w-g-07aenhanced-a.jpg

I keep coming back to the picture to see if I can figure it out as I am from that general area of NY and attended lots of shows in that era. That would have been an ICGC contest (International Color Guard Circuit) so it could have been a guard from western NY or Ontario, Canada.

Holley's mascot was the hawk, but their uniforms were red with black skirts. Phoenix HS might have competed that season but they were orange and black. For some reason I keep thinking it might be the Rochester Chessmen or the Grey Knights (but I don't know if either was active that year)...but I could be way off on that.

I keep coming back to the picture to see if I can figure it out as I am from that general area of NY and attended lots of shows in that era. That would have been an ICGC contest (International Color Guard Circuit) so it could have been a guard from western NY or Ontario, Canada.

Holley's mascot was the hawk, but their uniforms were red with black skirts. Phoenix HS might have competed that season but they were orange and black. For some reason I keep thinking it might be the Rochester Chessmen or the Grey Knights (but I don't know if either was active that year)...but I could be way off on that.

Thank you for the information. I had 'marched' winter guard 1969-1974 in southern Ontario and have 2 newsletters of that era. The 1971 announcement has 8 guards listed at a competition in Toronto, 4 were from Rochester, NY: Spartans, Hilites, Greece Cadets, Jr. Crusaders.

I searched the web for International Color Guard Circuit and I ended up in Rochester. I'll try to post what I have from winter guard, mostly from the mid 1980's in Alberta and a few WG Images magazines, but much later. Thanks again for the insight.

Thank you for the information. I had 'marched' winter guard 1969-1974 in southern Ontario and have 2 newsletters of that era. The 1971 announcement has 8 guards listed at a competition in Toronto, 4 were from Rochester, NY: Spartans, Hilites, Greece Cadets, Jr. Crusaders.

I searched the web for International Color Guard Circuit and I ended up in Rochester. I'll try to post what I have from winter guard, mostly from the mid 1980's in Alberta and a few WG Images magazines, but much later. Thanks again for the insight.

The ICGC doesn't exist any more. Along with the old Bi-State Circuit and a couple others they became the Northeast Color Guard Circuit a while back. NECGC does have a website but there isn't much there as far as historical data. Although someone connected with the circuit might know the guard in the photo. I remember the Greece Cadets as well as the Crusaders and Jr. Crusaders but not the Spartans or Hilites.

I was also thinking that back around that time period there was a guard out of western NY (around LeRoy or Batavia) called Midnight Blue. I was wondering if it was them with the color of the uniforms. I have to dig out my copies of Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World from that era and see if that jogs my memory.

And by the way, I am really enjoying all of the old photos! Thank you so much to everyone that is posting them.

SHUT UP???!!! OMG

Hells yes. :thumbup:

I will say that she is now happily hetrosexually married w/ children at this point in her life - I think I was just an experiemental phase. LOL. She showed up in my college marching band after my summer with Star and we bonded over drum corps (she marched one of the Spartacus shows when she was 14...) and the fact that we both smoked the same brand of ciggies.

Tee hee.

1985 Miller's Blackhawks:

millers.jpeg

Hey! I was in Blackhawks that year. "That's Entertainment". Back then the World Championships were called the WGI Olympics and we got 3rd that year. That's Billy (can't remember his last name) in the front and Mark and Mike Miller are the rifles in the background. My daughter is in her second year of high school colorguard and it inspired me to buy the DVD from 1985 so I could show her our show that year. I hadn't seen it in 23 years. Wow! The funny part is that they didn't even have a 3 point line on the Univ. of Dayton basketball court yet. Boy am I old!!!! I've been totally out of the guard loop until last year and boy has it changed since the 80's. It's amazing what they are doing now.

1984 Canadian Royal Aires:

royalaires.jpeg

By the way, in today's mail I received my latest WGI "On Demand" DVD. For this one, one of the guards I requested was the 1984 Canadian Royal Aires. I'd forgotten what a lyrical, elegant show this was. Graceful movement, very much ahead of its time!

Also really loved Avatar, both in '84 (burgandy cossack-style tunics) and '86 (similar uniform, only in white). Loved their "sickle" flags. And does anyone remember Threshold from '86? They did a show to "Appalachian Spring" complete with a musical staff laid out on the floor; at the beginning of the show, they lay on it, using their bodies to form the notes. At the end, they took green pillows that they'd been tossing and spinning and laid them down, then used flagpoles(?) to create the staff for each note, and then we could see the notes again. Really, really sharp! I'm so happy to finally have '86 Union High School in better quality (all I had was a really low-quality video before). This was their amazing bird show, and I swear, they make me believe they're birds. All the right hops and jumps in the choreography, flapping of "wings" (double swings), etc. Just a really mesmerizing show, one of my favorites, but one that seems to get overlooked, maybe because they placed second to Center Grove that year.