Old WGI Photos

lnavis

The space year for the Skylarks was 1983 ...

Oh, crud, I knew that! I don't know why I typed 1982. Thanks for pointing that out; I corrected the year in my post.

thank you soooo much for those pictures ... I'm the rifle on the right in the shot of the two rifles spinning ... Oh my goodness!!... I had such a HUGE smile on my face this morning .... so happy I found this thread ... I'll have to look and see what pictures I have to scan and how the heck to do it ....

So cool! PM me if you're having trouble with the whole "how to post a scanned photo" thing. Basically, if you can find a photo-sharing website like Photobucket and upload your photos there, then it's pretty easy to post them here and elsewhere.

I have to tell you that my heart absolutely broke for you in finals that year. (And I apologize if this brings back bad memories.) When my friends and I saw you in prelims, we were absolutely blown away. You were just incredible. Like a machine. Your rifle line blazed with intensity and precision (obvious from the flawless timing in that photo you're in)! I saw no way anyone -- including Cavaliers -- could beat you. But then, in finals, you just didn't seem like the same guard. It was almost like the focus was lost, or something. I didn't see it coming (and I doubt that you did, either). You were so awesome in prelims (and had been all season long) that I think everyone figured Skylarks had nerves of steel. Turned out you were human, just like the rest of us.

In a complete role-reversal from prelims, Cavaliers seemed to do the show of their lives in finals. And won. Some of the most incredible tricks I've ever seen. And they absolutely nailed the "James Bond" theme/image.

That's the joy, and curse, of competition.

Edited by byline

Your rifle line blazed with intensity and precision (obvious from the flawless timing in that photo you're in)!

i was noticing the same detail! :ph34r:

Thank you for the kind words. Finals in '83 at Dayton was actually my best performance ... the show was so fast moving (for that time especially) that it was hard to see mistakes...everything was timed and calculated perfectly down to each beat ... so, when we were in the locker rooms, and I saw people crying and upset ... I was confused, because I had an awesome show ...

it was a hard loss ... but, I had the time of my life! :)

you all were wonderfull!

can you give us any bon mots or insights to designer and wgi hall of fame member mickey kelly?i know he was responsible for those groundbreaking and entertaining skylarks productions.

Edited by dugg

Well, speaking for myself, at the time I was only 16 years old. I was marching in the Bridgemen Junior Corps and a friend of ours, Dawn Braman who also marched in the Bridgemen insisted that we check out the Skylarks. She was already a member of the guard. So, it took some persuading to my mom, but my sister, my friend Donna, my friend Evonne and myself all joined Skylarks. We drove to CT a couple of times a week during the winter months and it was a new experience, for sure.

We knew Scott Chandler already because he was teaching us in the Bridgemen during the summer of '82. But, I met Jeff Namian and Mickey Kelly when I joined Skylarks. They were intimidating to me, especially Jeff. He just had that look about him with his head down and his eyes up ... I was on rifle in the beginning of the show, and he taught the rifle line ... I remember watching Mickey come up with all of these crazy moves with the flags ... I mean, for that time period, he was flinging the flag over his shoulder, just tossing it across the floor, and making us do these crazy, crazy exchanges ... I was scared ... but, thrilled at the same time ... I think deep down inside we knew that we were a part of something new and exciting ... but, now in retrospect ... it truly was an honor having these incredibly talented individuals teach us ... I was a very lucky girl! :)

But, I love Mickey ... when I attended my first indoor guard show around 1999 (after not having seen one since 1983) that was a huge time span in between, and I remember seeing him at the show with Cheshire .... and he remembered me instantly ... it was soooo great seeing him ... I'm glad I was a part of his history and the history of the Skylarks ... very fortunate, and very glad ....

I'm glad I was a part of his history and the history of the Skylarks ... very fortunate, and very glad ....

Thanks so much for this insight into one of the all-time great winter guards! :ph34r:

cavaliers4.jpeg

Oh be still my heart!!!!

Don't worry......ChaChi will be making an appearance in the CAC this summer!!!!

for those neophyte readers who may not know,CAC = cavaliers alumni corps.

should be great fun to see these venerable fellows back and performing again!

Edited by dugg

I loved them!!!!

Here is an enhanced photo of that pic. Thanks to Sue (byline).

QuasartoSuefixed.jpg