Electronics

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What attracted me to drum and bugle corps was the unique and incredible sound! There is nothing on the planet that is it equal!!! For the life of me I can’t fathom why people from within the activity are always trying to change and bastardize this unique sound. Strings, woodwinds, vocals all have their place. That place is not drum corps!!! We have already lost much of the unique sound when the activity switched from bugles to concert instruments. To those on the creative staffs who claim they can no longer create without adding more, maybe its time you move on! Write an opera or a symphony!

I’m currently playing and singing in ProMusica Arizona’s Chorale and Orchestra. Although I’m having loads of fun, I can honestly say I haven’t had one, as my friend Jerry would say, ducky bump moment! I can remember there was a time when I attended a DC show and experienced many such moments. Not so anymore! Too bad it looks like DCI is trying to “create” drum and bugle corps out of existence. Thank God for DCA!

As for permitting them at all...IMO why not leave it up to a corps design team to use them or not, as THEY choose.

Who's stopping them? The design teams can use whatever they want. No one is forcing them to do DCI.

If electronics, strings, mouth organs, etc., were all so vital and effective for marching music, then the groups that can use them (summer marching bands) would be more popular than drum corps. But they're not. The overwhelming majority of fans and participants over the years have shown their preference for drum corps.

But let me re-emphasize that the options still exist. Summer marching band is still out there for those interested in it. And DCI drum corps have other performance opportunities besides just field competition. Exhibitions, stage shows, sporting events - more and more, we are seeing drum corps get back into local performances. And if that's not enough, there's always the ever-diversifying I&E contests.

What attracted me to drum and bugle corps was the unique and incredible sound! There is nothing on the planet that is it equal!!! For the life of me I can't fathom why people from within the activity are always trying to change and bastardize this unique sound. Strings, woodwinds, vocals all have their place. That place is not drum corps!!! We have already lost much of the unique sound when the activity switched from bugles to concert instruments. To those on the creative staffs who claim they can no longer create without adding more, maybe its time you move on! Write an opera or a symphony!

:blink::blink::blink::laugh::blink:

Who's stopping them? The design teams can use whatever they want. No one is forcing them to do DCI.

If electronics, strings, mouth organs, etc., were all so vital and effective for marching music, then the groups that can use them (summer marching bands) would be more popular than drum corps. But they're not. The overwhelming majority of fans and participants over the years have shown their preference for drum corps.

But let me re-emphasize that the options still exist. Summer marching band is still out there for those interested in it. And DCI drum corps have other performance opportunities besides just field competition. Exhibitions, stage shows, sporting events - more and more, we are seeing drum corps get back into local performances. And if that's not enough, there's always the ever-diversifying I&E contests.

:blink::blink::blink::laugh::blink:

Oh, and by the way, this fan is drawn to drum corps because of it's preference for brass and percussion. And I'm certainly not alone....

There are those, despite thousands agreeing with you, who want you to believe you are alone.

Piano- OK

Reason - Keyboard instrument.

I'm not sure piano would destroy the sound of drum corps, but it is an extraoridinarily bad idea logistically. Do you know what happens to a piano when it goes through temperature/humidity changes and travels on a moving semi truck all night? That's right, it goes horrendously out of tune to the point of being unlistenable! Tuning a piano is a MAJOR task that usually takes hours and requires a trained professional to do it. Anybody who agrees to go on tour and spend hours every day tuning a piano for a ten minute show is a better man than I.

Edited by ekleve

What attracted me to drum and bugle corps was the unique and incredible sound! There is nothing on the planet that is it equal!!! For the life of me I can’t fathom why people from within the activity are always trying to change and bastardize this unique sound. Strings, woodwinds, vocals all have their place. That place is not drum corps!!! We have already lost much of the unique sound when the activity switched from bugles to concert instruments. To those on the creative staffs who claim they can no longer create without adding more, maybe its time you move on! Write an opera or a symphony!

I’m currently playing and singing in ProMusica Arizona’s Chorale and Orchestra. Although I’m having loads of fun, I can honestly say I haven’t had one, as my friend Jerry would say, ducky bump moment! I can remember there was a time when I attended a DC show and experienced many such moments. Not so anymore! Too bad it looks like DCI is trying to “create” drum and bugle corps out of existence. Thank God for DCA!

Yeah, thank God concert instruments aren't allowed in DCA! ^0^

Irrelevant

not at all. you took an accoustic activity and made design scoring well dependant on amplification.

####, give hockey players basketballs too