Best chord of all time?

One of my friends marched soprano with PR in 2000, and I seem to remember him saying the mellophone line was having the most trouble that year.

It is still my opinion that that hornline is the best they've fielded in quite a while, but I don't figure too many people will agree with me on that.

I still find it hard to believe they placed 8th that year, but then again it was a great year for corps, and I think I remember them being a bag visually.

WOW, that's surprising to see...they certainly made a nice turnaround, in that case.

I most definitely do. To be honest, I thought they deserved 2nd place in horns on finals night, but as I've read on here several times, their visual program and overall score held them back from that. I suppose maybe judges took note of them having less difficult visual demand than Cavies/Cadets, etc. I know what happened in '91 with BD could be an opposing example, but its pretty clear that judges aren't as blatant with discrepencies as they used to be. HUGE contrasts from caption to caption are becoming increasingly rare. I remember looking at scores from even the 80's and early 90's, and there would be instances where scores would fluctuate by 3 full points, in SUBCAPTIONS. Other than that, I personally don't know why they wouldn't have been 2nd or 3rd (I personally think the Cadets were a clear 4th, ON FINALS NIGHT). edit - I think that the 2005 hornline was the only one from this decade that outperformed 2000, and not by a large margin, either.

They tied with SCV in music (4th) finals night, but visual program just lagged behind. It wasn't AWFUL, but it was visibly the weakness of the corps.

Edited by Jared_mello

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not.

There was a chord in Magic's 12 seconds to the moon show (1997 I think) that was so sweet you could hear the overtones inside the chord. That was one nice chord they played.

One of those moments for me is 1995 Madison Scouts at 7:06-7:07 in La Danza Pasillo. That double G, from what sounds like the whole section, just comes at you from nowhere like a meat cleaver taking your head off!! Perfect timing, attack, intonation and #### difficult! :laugh:

By the way, listen to the whole piece. It is a masterpiece of hot Latin jazz. I think their soprano line that year was one of drum corps' all-time greatest.

Fixed.

Edited by TTitans909

Fantastic! I replay that one a lot when I'm mowing the lawn!

there is a bit of irony to lawn maintenence while listening to drum corps, dont you think (football field, turf, summer, if you're lucky a diesel mower)? if you have a walk-behind (push mower for old schoolers) you may even be tempted to adjust your pace to tempo....lol! Im such a geek!

I dont know about the best, but in person, the opening chord of BD 05 left me brain-damaged to the rest of their show.

"I mostly like PR 2000 for sentimental reasons (I took a girl to watch them rehearse that summer and we had a very storied relationship)..."

That's how I feel about Cavies 1995. It's a great show anyway, but ,sentimentally, I love that show because it was being performed the first time I kissed my girlfriend in the stands during Finals lol...10 years later, and she's my fiancee lol

I'm sure everyone wanted to know that :-P

Edited by jeffro21

Six years later for me, and I'm still really glad I got rid of her. :-P

Glad to hear it worked out better for you.

For another chord...hmm...something different.

BK 1999 - 6:09 to the release - I seriously think that their ballad that year is my favorite any drum corps has ever done.

Toss up:

1. Suncoast 88...the "hits" before the ballad part (and again at the end)...

2. SCV 99...the chord right before the hits, during that crazy "swinging gate" move they do (the one that showed up again in 2001)...it's during the Barber. I'll get a recording time later.

3. PR '03. end of the show (the first version). I was actually disappointed that they let it resolve.

4. Star 93. last chord.

I like crunchy, brain-melting chords. Bring 'em on.

Of course, if we're not talking "crunchy" chords, how about PR, end of the opener, 89. Still gives me the stupidest grin when I hear recordings of it.

b**bs :worthy::worthy: