Spooky Effects

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always dig the different sound FX that can come out of the pit (using bows on china cymbals and vibes, chains on gongs, etc). The marching machine (see Cadets '93) is a favorite, as is the 'cricket' sound that Vic Firth used to (or maybe they still do) make (I know Cadets used it in '95).

Coolest/spookiest effect I heard about right now is with Missin Viejo High School's winter drumline. They have a sub woofer or something underneath one of their pit risers, and at one point someone play a super low note that makes all of the cymbal stands and things shake. I haven't seen them live yet, but I talked to a judge who saw them a week or so ago and he said it just floored him.

Now _THAT_ would be a great use of electronics, though I doubt it would be that effect on a football field (in the cozy confines of a gym I bet it works great).

--

doug

I think Star did something along that same line in 86...running a bass mallet across a concert bass in teh pit during the opening of "Close Encounters"

The best spooky effect, tho, is the chopper-leaving-Saigon bit at the end of SCV 91....I'm certain it gave 'Nam vets a flashback...

VERY well done, too....they managed to get the doppler shift of the blades...just like a Huey going away.

BD '00

BD '95

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the beginning of Blue Devils 1995...some very spooky sounds at the beginning of their Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night) show.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the beginning of Blue Devils 1995...some very spooky sounds at the beginning of their Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night) show.

:lolhit:

Talk about spooky!!! We just made the nearly same post almost at the exact same time!