Mouthpieces

Eaglesong

(Ya'll are gonna get tired of me...)

I was looking on the Kanstul websight and a thought occured to me: will I be able to use my Vincent Bach Corp. 6 mouthpiece that I use for my Bd, with my sop. or do I need to get a mouthpiece especially made for the sop.?

Thanks,

(Ya'll are gonna get tired of me...)

I was looking on the Kanstul websight and a thought occured to me: will I be able to use my Vincent Bach Corp. 6 mouthpiece that I use for my Bd, with my sop. or do I need to get a mouthpiece especially made for the sop.?

Thanks,

Elizabeth,

The good news is that, yes, your Bb tpt. mpc. will work in a sop leadpipe. If you are content with your Bach 6, then save $$ and use it for your Carolina Gold preparation. I have one mpc. that won't stay in my sop leadpipe, but that's a rare fluke. I just keep that Bill Chase mpc. for tpt.

If you find your mpc. is not working well for you, contact me. I have 150+ mpc's, most of them extremely comfy for the rigors of marching chops. I have my own personal issues and collect comfy marching mpc's. I have mostly legit mpc's (for concert work or corps) and lots of specialty mpc's that you don't need to worry about right now.

I have tpts./flugels/cornets/bugles, too, but you have enough toys there for now with your tpt., mpc., and expectant sop bugle. Let me know how you like the bugle when it arrives. Keep busy in the woodshed.

An off-topic side-note - good luck with Gold! I wish I had the time to come back and march this summer, but with uncertainties about job situations, I need to keep time open. Have a great season with them!

EI have one mpc. that won't stay in my sop leadpipe, but that's a rare fluke.

Most likely you have a moutpiece that is made for a BENGE leadpipe.The original benge leadpipes were of NON morse taper.

One of those useless facts I picked up a few years ago.

Most likely you have a moutpiece that is made for a BENGE leadpipe.The original benge leadpipes were of NON morse taper.

One of those useless facts I picked up a few years ago.

Then the next time I see Donald Benge (Eldon Benge's son) at my fencing club, I'll smak him (or at least I'll try...I haven't beaten him on the strip in years)

An off-topic side-note - good luck with Gold! I wish I had the time to come back and march this summer, but with uncertainties about job situations, I need to keep time open. Have a great season with them!

Thanks! I'm not marching this year, but I am visiting a rehearsal on Saturday-my first step into Drum Corps, yea!!! I do plan on marching in 2007, whether I make the field or not. Yeah, we know about the job situation. My husband would love to be with me in Carolina Gold, but he's been out of a job for a year and has to keep his time open. Good luck on your job situation and keep playing. Keep those chops ready for when you can get back in Gold!

Edited by Eaglesong

Normal mouthpieces will fit. The only real issue is with monettes and megatones and the like with the powerbore soprano from kanstul. It takes about a 1/2" more of the shank and the shanks on those kind of mps aren't that long.

Right now,I use a Bach 3c megatone.Deep rich sounds.

I play 3rd sop,so I don't have to worry a lot about the upper ranges.

But that doesn't mean I can't get up there with the megatone, when needed.

It fits great in my Kanstul powerbore.

I also liked my CG3.

huh. well that's good news then. It must just be the monettes.

While I've done some minor modifications on my 1993 Kanstul Custom Class, I haven't tampered with my leadpipe. Of the 150+ mouthpieces I have, I found that the Schilke 6A4a (custom-designed for Bill Chase, smallest of the Schilke line at the time until the 5A4) shank will go flying out. I've tried Schilkes like the 14A4a (great corps mpc.), 20 (luscious full tone), etc., and all fit fine. My 6A4a seats fine in a Dynasty.

Frank Ponzo, used to/I'm guessing still does play his superb solos on a 6A4a in his Kanstul. I'm not sure which model Ponzo has, but only fantastic notes come out -- Never seen his mpc. fly out.

I've tried about 15 Monettes, and they all work fine in leadpipes of my sop or tpts., unless one tries sticking a mpc. for a C trumpet in. The Dynasty or King matchup with a Monette? Don't know. I just played my BL2 at a corps rehearsal 2 weekends ago. Someone else's mpc. went flying. Not mine, thankfully.

Aside: I never once lost my Warburton/Excalibur mpc. in the '94 season. However, I Always march with a spare...Fiddlefaddle -- I lost my spare in the warmup before a Western NY show. A few corps members helped me look for it in the dark after competing, but, alas, lotsa $$ down the tubes. Later, I learned the advantages of marching in a corps uni that includes a handy pouch!!! Room for my spare, lemon juice, keys, comb, pic of old girlfriend/mascot dawg, shades, digital camera, laptop, kitchen sink....

Mr. Seymour, my sage pal, mentioned the Bach 3C Megatone, which is a fine mpc., used by lots, forced onto the masses by too many. (I never will fathom telling everyone in the sop line, "You're all going to wear size 10 Dinkles.") That aside, the 3C is an excellent mpc., and is a sort of new standard, just as many used to/still do play the Schilke 14A4a. The Bach Megatone series are considered to surpass the standard Bachs by many, but do cost more. -- -- Jeff, please PM me. How do you like your new Powerbore?

Elizabeth, this is more than you asked about, but ya' gotta start learning more about mpc's sometime.

Edited by CozyChopsCom