Drum Corps and Skin Cancer

As a fair-skinned redhead, I became unbelievably tanned each summer, but was still lighter than most people. We had a guy who was also a redhead who stayed white each summer - he was always, always applying sunscreen. I didn't think it was possible, but he managed to avoid a tan.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit, I tend to slack off on this. Though last year it was because my sunscreen was this cheap, disgusting stuff that would sweat out during basics block (the first thing of the day) and leave my skin looking disgusting. I'm going to buy some NO-AD this year. That stuff is good.

I burn pretty easily... is it really unrealistic to think i'll wear a shirt during practices? Obviously there's still other parts of my body that need to be sunscreened. I've been thinking about this, or the ability to go without a shirt for a short time, and increase it over the course of the summer. I can't imagine being burned is much fun. Does not wearing a shirt really make it that much cooler for you that it's worth it?

/rookie '06

Actually in some cases, wearing a shirt will keep you cooler than without. While not wearing a shirt, the sweat will simply be evaporated off of your body which will in turn make you feel hotter. It is a cooling mechanism that we have(the sweat that is). Granted it's a little more on the comfortable side to not wear a shirt, and I'm not gonna lie, I don't most of the time, but a sweaty shirt will keep you cooler after all is said and done because of the moisture. so lets see....be wet and sweaty, or have everything evaporate off of your skin.....if I wasn't so dark I think I would go for the shirt. but yeah, sunblock is a good thing, use it.

Edited by leadsop97

I wish my corps had given us time to reapply.... the only time was meals, and it really sweats off pretty quickly. It's a choice between sunscreen and water, and I always chose water. I always put it on my face, shoulders and arms, but I didn't have time to get my legs. I never burn, so I have even less motivation to apply. I always got my face. More because I'm vain, and don't want to look 45 when I'm 30. But cancer is probably the best reason.

I am trying to make up for it now, by wearing SPF 30 moisturizer every day on my face, arms, and shoulders. I hope it's not too late.... I never wore the stuff when I was a kid.

Edited by HornlineDiva

Wow, I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this posted on DCP!!

2001 was my rookie year and I was extremely stupid. I am EXTREMELY white and I didn't know I was even capable of tanning, so I wore a shirt at rehearsal during the first 2 or 3 weeks of tour. Eventually I got tired of being polar opposite color from everybody else in the corps, so I decided to use logic (and by logic I mean stupidity). We were in Iowa for a rehearsal day and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I decided that if I just spent a two hour rehearsal block in the sun with no shirt and no sunscreen I would magically become tan. HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO STUPID???? I got the worst sunburn you have ever seen in your life. That night I could tell I had done some damage, but nothing was too visible yet. The next day I was in severe pain and there were so many blisters that my back and shoulders looked like bubble wrap. I was in so much pain that I could not stand still during rehearsal. I was SHAKING from the physical agony. I'm not even joking. That is the only time since I was a little kid that I can remember literally crying because of pain. I was extremely lucky that we had three days without a show because there is no way I would have been able to wear the uniform. I would have missed a show and that would have killed me. But wait, it gets worse! While I was sleeping at night the blisters would pop and ooze and I would wake up in the morning literally stuck to my sleeping bag. It was beyond disgusting. To this day I have permanent scars on my back from that fateful sunburn. It serves as a reminder.

I finished my two years in DCI and never wore a shirt during rehearsal. I cannot stand wearing a shirt at rehearsal. But I ALWAYS applied sunscreen beforehand! For you junior corps kids, no matter how much sunscreen you wear you will still get a wicked tan. I did when I was in junior corps. But last year in the Brigadiers senior corps people would tease me (light-heartedly) because I wore strong sunscreen and remained almost as white as when I started. In senior corps it's only on weekends so it's near impossible to effectively wear sunscreen and get a tan (for me anyway). But being white is far better than revisiting the agony that I experienced in 2001.

Some parts of this story may have been a bit gross, but I wrote it anyway in the hopes that some young rookies will learn from example and take my advice: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE SUN!!!!!

Edited by ekleve

As a scuba master trainer and law enforcement diver, I've seen it all. When I owned my own 5-star shop, I led many groups on trips. I used my first-aid and rescue training far more for sunburns and moped accidents, rarely for scuba trauma. In scuba, the glare of the surface water increases the exposure, much like snow skiers must beware of the snow reflection. Similarly, the reflection of those shiny horns will add to the burn in double-time.

Use a strong concentrate like SPF 50. Try to get one that deters UVB (sunburn, skin cancer rays) and UVA (penetrate deeper, last longer) rays.

PABA-free lotion helps those who might have PABA reactions and does not stain as much as PABA-based products. Most boat operators forbid PABA-based products onboard. The correlation is the same for bus interiors, sleeping bags, clothes, UNIFORMS, etc.

Re-apply liberally after excessive perspiration, towel-drying, rain, swimming, etc.

One must respect that fireball as Evan so eloquently illustrated. Use a checklist of essentials for tour, making sure that a good sunscreen goes with you.

Edited by CozyChopsCom

I have worn sunscreen 1 day in my 2 years of drum corps that I can actually remember (don't follow that advice though) and I have never burned. I would get a little red under my eyes at first, but I have never burned anywhere else on my body and I usually just go straight from being really white to really, really dark within 4-5 days. Just the way my skin is I guess, who knows.

We had a member who had to be taken to the hospital because of a sunburn, that's how bad it got, in 2004. I don't know if he was wearing sunscreen or not, though. It look like chunks of his skin were literally just falling off...and he was a snare, which made it even worse, having the carrier on and such. So like Evan said above me (underneath the nasty ooze-sleeping bag details lol), NEVER underestimate the sun. :blink:

Yeah, Sunblock is VERY important. Not being burned for your first couple weeks at spring training will really help towards surviving it comfortably. Remember:

-The American Academy of Dermatologists recommends wearing a sunscreen of at least SPF 15+.

-Take precautions while outside and always wear a sunblock on exposed areas of skin. Don't forget to protect your lips, ears & under eye area.

-Just because it's cloudy outside does not mean you are safe from sun damage. The UVA and UVB rays easily penetrate clouds and haze. THe worst sunburn I've ever had was when it was cloudy and hazy all day.

-Always make sure that your sunblock provides both UVA and UVB protection. UVA rays can cause long-term damage such as wrinkling, while UVB rays are responsible for most sunburn.

Spray sunblocks are usually the easiest to apply and help get the best coverage. A lot of corps people will recommend the Coppertone Sport Spray. It's water-proof and works well on the field but leaves this gross layer all over your skin that peels off in the shower. It's also pretty greasy and doesn't feel too nice on the skin. Liquid blockers on the others hand feel nice on the skin but are fairly easy to wash/sweat off and most need to constantly be reapplied. It's also easier to miss spots with rub-on liquid sunblocks and requires a lot more time to apply. For people with fairer skin, look into kids sunblocks. They usually tend to have better protection and can last a long time out on the field.

After having used tons of different sunblocks over the years in corps, I'd have to say that the best is the Bullfrog Quik Gel Spray, hands down. It's extremely water- and sweat-proof (I only had to apply once a morning, maybe once again later in the afternoon just in case) and provides both UVA and UVB protection, plus aloe and vitamin E to moisturize and heal your skin. It's PABA free (no worries damaging anything like uniforms and such). It's quick drying and needs no rubbing in---literally spray and go, so it's AWESOME for drum corps when you have little time for breaks. The Spray Gel comes in SPF 36, which is all you'll need for most people. They developed this stuff for surfers out here in Cali that were in and out of the water and constantly moving around, so it definitely lasts out on the field. I got everyone in my corps hooked on it and it really is the best stuff you can buy for marching. It can be hard to come by sometimes, so stock up on it before you leave for tour.