Soccer Field to Marching(Football) Field

Hi, everybody! Ah, don't you just love Drum Corps? I sure do. I don't love the fact that school football season is over, though. I went to Sanderson highschool today, hoping to practice my drill and found the practice field lined for soccer, not football. I didn't bring anything to mark it with. My question is, is there any way to..translate? a soccer field to a football field? If not, what are the exact measurements for a football field and all the lines. Sure, I could look it up, but I wanted to ask ya'll, first. I love hearing your responses to my...unique questions.

Take care,

We all asked the same question, and this seemed to help alot if you wanted to line off a section yourself

NCAA footbal field measurements/diagram:

http://www.sportsknowhow.com/diagrams/foot...ons-diagram.pdf

And say hey to Chubz for me (euph with the funny beard)

We all asked the same question, and this seemed to help alot if you wanted to line off a section yourself

NCAA footbal field measurements/diagram:

http://www.sportsknowhow.com/diagrams/foot...ons-diagram.pdf

Well, that certainly makes it easy! She'll have everything she needs to know to erect regulation goal-posts and section off regulation sized coaches boxes off each sideline, not to mention where to paint the 6' stenciled yardline numbers! b**bs

:P

See ya'll in NC!

Well, that certainly makes it easy! She'll have everything she needs to know to erect regulation goal-posts and section off regulation sized coaches boxes off each sideline, not to mention where to paint the 6' stenciled yardline numbers! b**bs

:P

See ya'll in NC!

It..kinda helps. But am I reading the yard lines as 6 ft. apart or what? It is kind of confusing from a beginner's perspective and I want to know as much of the drill as possible by next rehearsal. HELP!!!

Elizabeth,

Since you're on a soccer field, here are the soccer dimensions from the same football diagram site. Soccer and football lines don't equate much other than the soccer mid-field line works as our center 50 yd.-line.

Soccer field dimensions

I could offer to loan you the bamboo pole I have which is premarked for football field lining, but I have a better idea:

In the Raleigh area there have to be several high schools/colleges that have a parking lot near a band room that is already permanently marked with football yard-lines, 5 yards apart. Call around.

OR carry a bag of pop cans, cones, etc., set them 15 ft. apart on a front sideline of your choosing and have a quick reference.

OR go to Wal-Mart or Lowes, buy a can of NON-permanent marking spray paint, carry a yardstick or tape rule, and have at it...Well, don't mark a soccer field. Be careful what you mark. I had a VFW post flip out until I assured them the lines would be gone the next rain. You don't have to mark a front sideline, not even super long yard-lines. Just do enough for a reference.

My, but you are getting into this. Remember, now that you are marching, warm up some while walking to get used to "music in motion."

Edited by CozyChopsCom

Elizabeth,

Since you're on a soccer field, here are the soccer dimensions from the same football diagram site. Soccer and football lines don't equate much other than the soccer mid-field line works as our center 50 yd.-line.

Soccer field dimensions

I could offer to loan you the bamboo pole I have which is premarked for football field lining, but I have a better idea:

In the Raleigh area there have to be several high schools/colleges that have a parking lot near a band room that is already permanently marked with football yard-lines, 5 yards apart. Call around.

OR carry a bag of pop cans, cones, etc., set them 15 ft. apart on a front sideline of your choosing and have a quick reference.

OR go to Wal-Mart or Lowes, buy a can of NON-permanent marking spray paint, carry a yardstick or tape rule, and have at it...Well, don't mark a soccer field. Be careful what you mark. I had a VFW post flip out until I assured them the lines would be gone the next rain. You don't have to mark a front sideline, not even super long yard-lines. Just do enough for a reference.

My, but you are getting into this. Remember, now that you are marching, warm up some while walking to get used to "music in motion."

there are portable field markings you can buy. they are made out of rope(i think) but they tend to be a bit pricey.

but the crap we all carry in our cars could be used as field markings.

Elizabeth,

Soccer field dimensions

Hmm...I think Sanderson's parking lot is marked. It was at the Band Expo. last October. (My husband got tickled at me trying to march across it on the way to the car afterward.) I need to call and make sure it's okay to use it, though. If not, I have a bag of cans at ready.

I would have practiced some today with the music, but at 9:00 on a Saturday morning...

I told ya'll, I love this. Some of my fellow Corps members told me, if you think the rehearsals are great, just wait until the actual performances and competitions....

For a mellophone sectional once, we used masking tape on a grass field. Lines were crooked, too thin to see from a few yards away, and tore off and stuck to our feet if we caught them the wrong way going over a yard line.

But, Mike did learn all the drill he'd missed from the previous camp, and the large ball of tape that we presented to our caption head made for a great visual aide in our story.

For a mellophone sectional once, we used masking tape on a grass field. Lines were crooked, too thin to see from a few yards away, and tore off and stuck to our feet if we caught them the wrong way going over a yard line.

But, Mike did learn all the drill he'd missed from the previous camp, and the large ball of tape that we presented to our caption head made for a great visual aide in our story.

That be funny. b**bs