Corps watching Corps

A few years ago (2004) Jersey Surf and Memphis Sound were sharing a rehersal site one day. At the end of the day we both watched each other perform and generally cheered like crazy for the other corps. After that was a combined dinner from both staffs and a couple of hours downtime to mingle and meet. It was a great experience and i do hope many corps get to do this with their "competitors". We all had fun and i can only imagine if a larger group of corps did this all the members would have even more great memories.

After that Memphis Sound was found in the rear stands watching Surf during Finals. You can see it in the 2004 video. It was amazing for the members to have that sort of bond together. I know it still goes on to this day, and it creates a sort of comradery that breaks all stereotypes of "Corps A" or "CorpsB."

If DCI did some sort of schedule where corps would share housing sites...it would work out better. Its not going to happen all the time but when it does you will hear the stories of those events shockwave across the activity.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surfs Up & Git 'R Done!

The bond definitely still continues, we always tell our rookies about that day in Kansas (and the story of the events BEFORE that day that make it even that much more interesting/surprising).

Just to add to the story though, wasn't there a big "Git 'R Done!" from Surf as they were waiting outside the gate, right before Memphis took the field one time during finals week? I didn't hear it cause I was trying to set up, but I thought someone had mentioned it happen,

Also, since we didn't get to share a housing site in '05, Memphis and Surf got together after eachothers performances on Grand Finals and the cooking staffs combined all of our foods like in '04 for another little get-together. Hopefully it continues this year and becomes an annual thing to look forward to. B)

----

Memphis and Court of Honor also shared a housing site for Finals week in '04, the Denver Collesium, and had a few memorable moments. One morning their hornline woke us up to either our on-field or theirs (I was half asleep so I don't remember) and then the next day our drumline woke them up to our cadence. We also performed our shows for eachother and shared a free day in Estes Park together.

I'd personally be totally in favor of that. It'd be difficult to pull off, but highly worthwhile if successful. Lots of corps do parades in Chicago; that'd be pretty bad ### to have some park or something picked out where after our third parade, we all go there, get some barbeque or something going on (or pizza, ahhh), leisurely warmup, and put on some runthroughs for each other. That'd be really fun, and surely one of the most memorable moments of the summer.

:worthy: Great idea, Jared. I know we are going back to the Chicago parades again this year, so I'd love for something like that. Someone ought to run that by the directors of whichever corps are going to be doing those parades...hmm...

The only real problem would be getting front ensemble equipment there. I know the past 2 years, we have left our truck at the housing site and horns, battery and guard have just gone under the busses. If this did happen though, everyone's trucks could just simply meet at the park that afternoon.

Are you guys going back this year?

^^ Lining doesn't take long at all, but either way - standstills are fine with me. B)

We are doing a concert on Chicago's Navy Pier the day before (July 3rd); I actually enjoy concert/standstill settings a lot.

Yes being a competitor is good but you gotta relax on tour. It's nice to sit back and just be a fan for 15 minutes!! Plus there are some very young members in corps and they all dream about that one corps that they are going to join. So let them go see them perform live because you never know what may happen!! Sometimes it makes people work harder seeing their dream corps and knowing what they have to do to get there one day.

I loved housing with people and watching shows and eating from other cook trucks on TOC in '04. It was an amazing experience and I wish corps/DCI would organize stuff like that during the actual season.

In the end we're all doing the same thing, so why not celebrate what we're doing together?

To the surf/memphis thing, yes there was a loud "get er dunn" from surf as you took the feild. And also hopeing to have another big get together meal with you guys again this summer.

In the end we're all doing the same thing, so why not celebrate what we're doing together?

Could not have said it better myself.