Class Acts In Drum Corps

1982 was my first year marching. We (Kiwanis) and Florida Wave shared housing at DCI Montreal. When I came back from rehearsal for lunch I had discovered that someone had stolen all my spending money from my suitcase. I was really upset... well the members of Florida Wave and Kavaliers all got together and took up a collection to give me some money for the rest of tour. I ended up with around $60 or $70 which doesn't sound like tons of money but considering it was the last week of drum corps and everone's funds were low it was a fortune.

Florida Wave didn't need to be so kind to a complete stranger and my fellow members of Kavaliers were a one of a kind group of people. Warm and generous.

I will always remember the kindness.

Edited by neddy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well since Jared represents the Bluecoats and he is OBVIOUSLY NOT classy enough to keep his opinions to himself while representing his organization

thus

Jared + Bluecoats= CLASSLESS

Edited by DCIbrassplaya

well since Jared represents the Bluecoats and he is OBVIOUSLY NOT classy enough to keep his opinions to himself while representing his organization

thus

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thanks for making my night. I love you. :rock:

(I honestly don't even know if that's a joke either not, but I laughed borderline giddily for around 6 seconds there.)

edit - oh, it's probably just stemming from bitterness because of my sarcastic response on the caption predictions thread. Sweet. Out of curiousity, show me where you get that my opinions represent those of the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps? A bit random, really....

edit 2 - sorry, added some more "hahaha"'s to the end.

Edited by Jared_mello

thus

yikes DCIbrassplaya...that's a bit wicked of you to say, especially for only your second post here at DCP. Unless you created that name to simply

flame on jared instead of using your own true persona. While Jared is on the opposite side of this dichotomy, he definetly has some classy posts

strewn about this forum.

I doubt he would slam you that hard for disagreeing with him ...

yikes DCIbrassplaya...that's a bit wicked of you to say, especially for only your second post here at DCP. Unless you created that name to simply

flame on jared instead of using your own true persona. While Jared is on the opposite side of this dichotomy, he definetly has some classy posts

strewn about this forum.

I doubt he would slam you that hard for disagreeing with him ...

I just find it odd that he spends his time on here bashing everyone but the bluecoats... only fair since he marches there. He is ruthless none the less... sometimes seemingly bearing no allegiances to Magic or Memphis Sound (his TWO previous corps) and also commenting on the policies and practices of other organizations in which he has never participated. Bottom line is that Jared's opinons are very biased, very rude, and most of the time uncalled for. I think he should spend all of his time that he wastes on here to practice so that the bluecoats can step up to that next level that everyone keeps talking about .

Edited by DCIbrassplaya

I just find it odd that he spends his time on here bashing everyone but the bluecoats... only fair since he marches there. He is ruthless none the less... sometimes seemingly bearing no allegiances to Magic or Memphis Sound (his TWO previous corps) and also commenting on the policies and practices of other organizations in which he has never participated. Bottom line is that Jared's opinons are very biased, very rude, and most of the time uncalled for. I think he should spend all of his time that he wastes on here to practice so that the bluecoats can step up to that next level that everyone keeps talking about .

I have seen Jared point out many good things about corps other than his own. Some of his posts are very classy, and I would not really call what he says "ruthless." He voices his opinions, albeit in a sometimes tactless manner. And sorry, but opinions are allowed to have a little bias in them. That's why they're opinions. Also, who are you to comment on his practice habits? I spend a large amount of time on the computer, yet I still practice every night for 1-3 hours.

The bottom line is that you've made a grand total of 3 posts. I don't know about the other one, but two of them were bashing Jared. I'm sorry, but you're the one who's coming across as very rude, and very biased, and what I would venture to call very trollsih.

I'm done with this conversation. I have participated in way to many online forums to know that online arguments lead nowhere.

ON TOPIC... I've been impressed with many of the things I've read, especially with the post about the Madison DM giving the autistic kid the medal. Having observed the effects of autism, I can say that what the drum major did that night was most likely more helpful for the kids psyche than years of treatment could do.

It reminds me of the Aria interview from a while back, where a guy mentioned how he took an old bass head and signed it along with the rest of the drumline, and gave it to a little boy who was watching them practice, fascinated.

These are the experiences that will impact the kids in such a great way. In 10 years or so, when those kids are themselves of marching age, they'll remember what happened.

I bash on everyone but the Bluecoats? Interesting, considering I love drum corps, and appreciate shows out of every corps in DCI. There aren't any corps whose shows I avoid watching, and no corps who I avoid having friends in because my "dislike for one."

"sometimes seemingly bearing no allegiances to Magic or Memphis Sound (his TWO previous corps)"

Doesn't make sense. It sounds like the point that you're trying to make is that I'm not defensive or visibly affiliated with them? Hmmm....in that case....you're saying that I'm.....not biased enough? Strange.

"and also commenting on the policies and practices of other organizations in which he has never participated."

Sure I comment on them....this is drum corps planet. What do you expect? I have respect for the policies and personas, of every corps in DCI. I march in a laid back corps, and yet my little brother and all of my best friends are Boston Crusaders. Polar opposites. And yet I have conversations with them, regarding the contrast between the demeanors of the two corps....with no offense taken. Using them as an example, whether I agree with their style (very serious, keeping to themselves while in uniform) or not, I'm still grateful for the fact that there is contrast.

"Bottom line is that Jared's opinons are very biased, very rude, and most of the time uncalled for."

Show me examples of any of those. How can ANYTHING on a discussion board be uncalled for? Whose jurisdiction is that?

"I think he should spend all of his time that he wastes on here to practice so that the bluecoats can step up to that next level that everyone keeps talking about ."

Ah, the killer line. Speaking from a personal standpoint, I went to the gym today, as I've gotten in the routine of doing 5 days a week. You're probably fat, but I digress. I practiced mellophone for almost an hour today. I'm sure that in your head, I "hold my corps back" because I waste "all my time" on this website, but you're well aware that you have no idea of how I march or play.

Oh, and find me an example where I use my corps as a crutch, to speak down on others. I'd really love to see that.

Ah, last thing. READ MY ####### SIGNATURE. Moron. Love how you don't consider doing things like PM'ing people, as I've done in the past when I had something personal to talk to someone about. I've even done that with people associated with your organization, and not only gained respect for them, but came to agreements about the issues in question.

Last time I checked, I'm not a drum and bugle corps. I'm a 19 year old kid, who has opinions on shows that he watches, and discusses them with people on here. Find me somewhere where I responded defensively when someone said something negative about a show I marched in. PLEEEEEEEEEASE do that. Ironic that you surely can't, because it seems like every time that someone winds up having a problem with me or something, it stems from the fact that they TOOK OFFENSE that I didn't like a particular show they marched in, or even a SEGMENT of a show they marched in. I have different tastes and standards in music, visual styles, and show designs as you and everyone else does, but somehow lots of people on DCP such as yourself are taken about and unempathetic to situations like that.

You forgot to mention that at least I'm courageous enough to attach my name and previously my corps experience (until I decided it's not worth it to deal with idiots such as yourself) to my opinions. Don't associate that with my corps. If you have a problem with it, come up to me after a show (assuming you actually march), and say "HEY. WTF. I HEARD THAT YOU DIDNT REALLY LIKE CROWN 04. YOU WANT TO FIGHT ME?!?" and then I'll point out how absolutely ridiculous you look, getting upset over someone else's opinions of drum corps.

I kind of like being known as "occasionally tactless," anyway. I'm not really much of a fan for tact.....with tact, not as much gets accomplished or clarified. Thanks for the compliments about my posts though, flashofthunder, ggarrett, people who post in the next half hour about this, etc.