Did you discover drum corps, or did drum corps discover you?

edit.....I'll get it right yet... :sshh:

Edited by TennTux

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I'd have to say there was NO avoiding DC....

I went to school with ALL of the members of my 1st Jr. corps. (Continentals)

And I lived across the street from Manning Bowl.... :rock:

Jim Centerino taught our horn line (Lynn), and "invited" me to join BAC in '69. WDCHOF Richard Doucette (Lt.Norman Princemen) lived next door and was the DM of the Renegades...(nope, NO avoiding DC... :rock: )

Tony B)

Edited by TennTux

edit.....multiple post... :rock:

(not quite sure how I did it..)

B)

Edited by TennTux

I think I discovered Drum Corps. My guard instructor in high school marched and I knew very little about it, other than she wasn't there for the summer. Then I went to the Ankeny, IA show with a friend and the first drum corps show I saw was the 2001 Colts show, Chivalry. I was hooked right then and there! :)

I was enjoying my freshman year of HS (playing tenor saxophone, no less ^0^) and going through the winter/spring concert season. I liked to try and get recordings of the pieces we were perfoming in concert band to listen to the originals...just something I have always done.

So my director hands out Finale from New World Symphony...I go home and search for it and the name Phantom Regiment pops up. Phantom Regiment? That sounds like a cool name...changed my life... :grouphug:

It kinda discovered me. My frined were always talking about DCI during summer band, and I got interested. I found some videos, watched them, and auditioned for Pioneer a couple weeks later.

I discovered it on a flyer outside of an Ice cream shop. The flyer was looking for members of the Smithtown (NY) Freelancers.

BTW at the first few practices there was a guy named Wayne Downey who had moved out to California. If I remember it correctly some of instructors included Sasso brothers and Frank Dorrittie

Once upon a time.....I heard music playing, I believe I was 8 years old. I rode real fast on my bike and saw a group practicing for parades. We moved the next summer and the following year I saw the group at a parade and decided I wanted to join, besides my cousins were in there too. So I guess I discovered it!

I guess my answer would be a little bit of both. I was initially exposed to Drum Corps by my HS marching band. But back then, I couldn't have cared less about the corps/shows/performers/music...anything. In fact, I usually spent most of the night goofing off with my friends outside of the stands. Then, I graduated HS and went to college and began my double major of Music and Computer Information Systems. Anyway, from being around music people and hearing the stories from those who had marched in a corps, I found some renewed interest in the art and decided to go to some shows with my friends. However, this time I had a better understanding of everything that goes into a corps and what it really means to be part of it and I appreciated it like I never had before. So much so, that I learned to play mello (my main instrument was sax) so that I could march. I'm very grateful that drum corps gave me a "2nd chance," so to speak, and I couldn't imagine my life now without having experienced what I did.

What annoys me now though are all of the finals shows from 1993-1997 that I could have seen live, but didn't because I was out of the stands goofing off!!! :(

No chance of me avoiding drum corps. I was born into it. That is I was born into Fife and drum corps. Both parents were drummers and instructors for many of these types of corps and a few of Mom's students went on to play with D&B Corps (Sunrisers, Bridgemen). Mom always took me to the D & B shows when they were in town and always knew that it was something I wanted to do. Finally got the chance in my 20's and played in the pit of a Senior (all-age now) D & B for 3 seasons. Best time of my life. Now I have passed the family tradition onto my kids and hope that someday they will have the opportunity to experience D&B.

Irene