European Regional

A European Regional. Is it possible?

The biggest problem will probably be finances.

Madison Scouts came in 1988

BD did Europe several times

Glassmen is coming this summer

Cadets tried to come

i heard Phantom had plans

What if these corps al came the same year?

Would it be less expensive for the corps?

Would it be more attractive for potentieal sponsors?

Is it better for the corps to go to Europe all together so that they will not have too much competition?

just curious,what are you ideas about this and do you know if some of these corps ever consider to go to Europe together?

I think the current show sponsors would be unhappy if that many of the best corps left the country and weren't here for shows for half the competetive season. It would really kill many shows.

There are two main reasons I don't see it happening.

First, like Shawn said, it could put a big hole in the U.S. show schedules.

Secondly, even the big corps can't afford to go all that often. If you get a bunch of 'em to go in one year, chances are you wouldn't get any of them to travel to Europe again for at least a few years. It's probably better promotion for the activity to have one of the top American corps visit every few years than to have one big show (or tour) and then nothing for a decade.

As for other items mentioned...

There would likely be no significant cost savings for multiple corps to visit together. Because they're based in cities thousands of miles apart, it's not practical to consolidate travel.

Competition is likely a non-factor when planning trips to Europe. Unless it's DCI finals, placement at a given show isn't terribly important to most corps, no matter which continent they happen to be on. Sure, they'd like to win every time out, but it's not their ultimate goal.

It was a big enough of a problem getting six corps all the way out to California at the same time. Actually, SCV and Blue Devils were going to California anyway! So really it was a big enough problem getting even FOUR corps all the way out there!! And they had to make DCI Finals a whole week earlier than normal so that these six corps would have time to do this Tour of Champions on the west coast.

I think it will happen though.

So far it just happened to be that two corps did not went in the same year.

BTW, the gas is cheaper :P

What about a tour of champions type, whoever wants to go can but do it after finals.

Many members have to get back to HS and College band camps.

However, if a corps is going to spend that much money to go to Europe, you're not gonna want to stay for just a few days and one or two shows. The most expensive part of the trip is the airfare. So once there, you'll want to stay for two or so weeks and do as much as you can.

IIRC Boston Crusaders made that trip too back in the early '80s.

Personally, I think a tour of champions type deal would be more reasonable IF they can afford it. It's bad enough now to pay for gas just touring our country.