The real reasons DCI will never be on a major channel

Just when this board actually starting to get interesting. Maybe that's because it was more actually marching members posting, and not alumni who are never satisfied with anything.

Thanks for the laugh. Knowing someday you will join the ranks of alumni and I know your opinion will still be present......

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI had a perfect venue. PBS.

Sharon

PS: Too bad..

Why was it perfect? Half the time you couldn't even find the broadcast because either

A: Your local PBS station didn't carry it

or

B: By the time you found the broadcast on their schedule, it was either already broadcast or on at such an unfriendly time that you had to remember to set the VCR/TiVo to record it.

PBS stations were dropping the broadcast more and more often because drum corps fans who watched didn't pledge enough money to justify taking up two hours of air time during pledge drive week.

With the ESPN2 deal you get:

1. A specific day and time for the broadcast.

2. Specific days and times for rebroadcasts.

3. Commercial sponsors, eliminating the need for pledging.

4. More exposure to the general public.

5. Bragging rights with your friends if you marched in a corps featured during the broadcast (unless, of course, one of your friends was in the national spelling bee, a cheerleader, jump roper, or happens to be Andre Agassi).

Yes, there are people who do not get ESPN2, either because they don't have cable/satellite or because their provider doesn't carry it. I'm willing to bet you, however, that there are still more potential and actual viewers of DCI on ESPN2 than there would have been on PBS.

Do you realize how much network television costs? And do you realize what a niche market drum corps is? Yes, we may live and breathe corps and find it just as entertaining as cheerleading, ballroom dancing or any of the other activities that find their way onto the airwaves, but when you get right down to it, the audience for drum corps is all but insignificant in the eyes of network programmers.

Is this negativity on my part? No, it's just being realistic.

Jr. DC will never be ready for prime time because it has “evolved” into something that is really quite boring! It’s potential audience is rather small.

Hey, wait a minute. I love the "Old time DCI" , and I have all the repsect in the world for the good ole days, but I frankly have seen and heard some pretty boring shows from the 70's as well. Let's share the love here. :laugh: (AKA... Toungue & Cheek)

DCI had a perfect venue. PBS.

Sharon

PS: Too bad..

except that PBS wasn't getting the bang for their buck, and could not guarantee one nationwide everybody sees at one time airing.

Oh god here we go :laugh:. Yes, because you know what's best for DCI, not Dan Achenson.

agree or disagree, no need to be a ####

true, and if you look at the tv dial, it's all about the niche, which is why many tv shows on the networks dont break a 5 share

watching the big three (four with fox) is like still having AOL as an internet provider. I think cable is the perfect place for DCI...more freedom and flexibility. Not sure if we are ready for dciTV, but the prospect is interesting. Steve Rondinaro can get a new contract and job.