Star 93 brought controversy

They had the best drumline and hornline and they played pianissimo for like the first 6 minutes or so! Imagine AC/DC or Metallica doing a concert, with huge amps and lights and everything set up, and they just sit down and sing "Dust In The Wind" accompanied by folk guitar. Fans might be disappointed. There's a big part of the controversy.

I think that's the real difference. Sure, Cavies 94 and BD 95 had some more abstract, out there parts, but the fact that most of the first half of Star 93 was either silent or played at a very low volume was what made it such a head scratcher.

Personally, I hate the first half of the show, except for some of the cool visuals and tension/release moments. I absolutely love the latter half though, and that's what makes the show as great as it is (not the finesse of the beginning).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD '95 is probably my favorite BD show as well.

I remember '95 Cavies generating some discussion. As I remember the show, it started with "Sensemaya" and the depiction of what some would consider pagan religious rituals. It then veered into Christian symbolism (guard member "hanging" from a wood 2-by-4 a la the Crucifixion); finale seemed to symbolize Christ's resurrection. I seem to remember Cesario and Rondinaro calling the show controversial during the broadcast that year.

The two shows you mention generated some buzz for they were quite dark and different from what people expected from either unit. Ironically, I find them appealing for that very reason. Especially the 94' Cavies show, which I would say is one of my favorite Cavie shows of all time. But I cannot say that either of these shows pushed the envelope in any way other then tweaking fans expectations of what a Cavie or BD show should be. Star never had the engrained expectations in programming that the other two had. Every year the corps tried to go in a different direction, which was a bit tough on the average fan. In 93' this was compounded by the fact they went in a different direction then anybody had ever gone on a football field. Love it or hate it, it was groundbreaking.

I wish more corps would be daring enough to try some truely different stuff. Cadets pushed it a bit last year. I can't say I was very into it, but at least it was different and not a re-hash or 'safe' show. When working with Star, Mark Sylvester once told us; "When something in a show makes you puzzled or slightly un-comfortable, hold on to it. There is probably something really cool and new going on." Its about expanding your boundries of taste and appreciation.

Edited by mchromik

Personally, I hate the first half of the show, except for some of the cool visuals and tension/release moments. I absolutely love the latter half though, and that's what makes the show as great as it is (not the finesse of the beginning).

For you. For me, the entire show is stunning, and the first half is no exception. Without the first half, Star '93 becomes just another show.

I wish more corps would be daring enough to try some truely different stuff. Cadets pushed it a bit last year. I can't say I was very into it, but at least it was different and not a re-hash or 'safe' show. When working with Star, Mark Sylvester once told us; "When something in a show makes you puzzled or slightly un-comfortable, hold on to it. There is probably something really cool and new going on." Its about expanding your boundries of taste and appreciation.

:laugh:

And unlike some, I don't use that pic very often.

I remember '95 Cavies generating some discussion. As I remember the show, it started with "Sensemaya" and the depiction of what some would consider pagan religious rituals. It then veered into Christian symbolism (guard member "hanging" from a wood 2-by-4 a la the Crucifixion); finale seemed to symbolize Christ's resurrection. I seem to remember Cesario and Rondinaro calling the show controversial during the broadcast that year.

Actually you are referring to 1994 Cavaliers, not '95. Sensemaya wasn't about pagan rituals, instead the piece is based on a poem called "Chant to Kill a Snake". The second piece "Humming Chorus" from Ivan the Terrible symbolized the ritual of prayer before the men of the tribe went to war (the next movement in the show). The ascent up the pole had nothing to do with crucifixion since the guard member was not hanging, but instead ascending towards the Gods with hopes of a successful battle. After "War Dance", the next movement of the show, "Church Windows", was reflection on what previously happened and the closer simply represented celebration or triumph.

What made the show controversial was that it was a departure from past Cavaliers shows, the music was very unusual and there was a general misunderstanding on what the show was about (therefore controversial).

Edited by Hulka

Everyone always talks about how different the Star 93 show was, and how people didn't quite understand it, but I don't ever hear too much about the unusual shows by Cavaliers in 94 and 95 Blue Devils . Did these shows bring much controversy? While I saw both of these shows, I don't remember the crowd having that much of a negative reaction to them. To me, both of these shows would be considered to be outside of the norm of the shows of the day, even more than Star 93.

Personally I absolutely loved BD 95, and thought it was their 3rd best show ever behind 1994 and 2000. Absolutely loved that horn book. Cavies 94 I enjoyed, but didn't get as excited as most years by Cavies. Music and guard design just didn't grab me that year, although it was well performed.

Just wondered what people thought of those 2 shows, and if you remember negative crowd reactions to either one?

I am sorry if I have missed a thread on this in the past, but I can't find one anywhere if there is one.

Well.. having lived through all three of those seasons as a reporter for DCW and covering two of those shows specifically as part of my job, I never noticed much "controversy" over either 94 Cavaliers or 95 Blue Devils -- not like what was generated from 93 Star. They were weird, don't get me wrong.. they were consistently shows that had me scratching my head going, "HuH??" but I wouldn't have then or even now called either "controversial."

I will say that until about a month ago, I was STILL saying "HuH??" about the 94 Cavalier show.. that is until a friend of mine who marched guard there that year explained the show to me in greater detail. Now it all makes perfect sense and I like the show much better... it helps that I'm not distracted with trying to figure it out anymore..

I don't know if it answers your question, but for me, 93 Star was breaking out in a new direction -- it pushed the envelope of what we considered appropriate for the drum corps medium. It challenged what could be considered entertaining and forced us to further define our parameters for excellence in this genre. I wasn't a fan of it then.. I like it much better now. 94 and 95 Cavaliers and BD did not push us into new territory.. the show's themes were somewhat more intellectual and a little over the top visually.. but I don't think it really pushed us into anything new or ground breaking and neither really pushed the activity into a new definition of anything on or off the field.

Stef