Things to bring on tour.

When you have to buy more show shirts, make sure you don't grab the little boy's size on accident. Because then you won't realize until you're AT the show site, and you'll have to wear a tiny boys shirt for a show, and you might get mocked.

Not that that happened to me.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question... I've got all my stuff together, but does anyone have some fancy ideas on which bags I should put what in?

When I marched, you had a reasonably small bag to carry on the bus. A large suitcase. Your bedding, be it a sleeping bag, blanket, air matress, or what have you. And your instrument. In my case a Euphonium.

For me:

- hats, cleaning rags, and maybe a spare shirt and change of socks went in the instrument case.

- Large bottle of shampoo, spare razors, and other personal hygiene items went with the bus carry on bag. Generally a complete two month supply.

- A smaller travel sized version of personal hygiene stuff went with your suitcase. You sometimes forget to take your shampoo with you when exiting the shower, and/or a buddy claims ownership when you turn away. Having the larger spare lets you continue to have shampoo, and provides a means of refilling the travel sized one should you manage to hang on to it long enough to empty it.

- All of your clothes go in your suitcase. I prefer a suitcase because it gives the easiest access to your stuff. And you can make one side be dirty stuff and the other be clean stuff, with a divider to keep things somewhat seperate.

- Your bedding is your bedding. It goes where ever it goes. In my day, I had two animal blankets I kept in pillow cases. Generally one I used for a pillow, and the other a bedroll. Most times I kept one on the bus, and even used it as a seat cushion should my tour seat be a little recessed. And if the A/C was working exceptionally well, you had a blanket to keep you thermostically happy. With the pair of them, you could tie the pillow cases together and drape them over your shoulder, or suitcase, or instrument. And could therefor carry your suitcase, bedding, and instrument in one trip to the gym, however far away it was.

As far as actual needs:

- your instrument

- your uniform

- your health

- your comfort (optional)

(in that order)

Clothes and personal hygiene fall under health. Most things comfort will go on the bus, since that's where you'll be spending most of your free time.

lube. :P

If you use them for show days (i.e. - 1 ziplock bag for each show containing a show shirt, underwear, socks, etc.), the 1 gallon size bags are usually big enough. They don't have to be anything special, just the kind you squeeze on top to close. Make sure you press out all the air first and you will have more room and they are less likely to pop open.

I got my laundry bag at Wal-Mart, it wasn't labeled as a laundry bag it was just a simple nylon bag with a pull-string. I don't know which section it was in, someone else might be able to be more specific.

So what did I miss?

You know whats also good,,, a thingy of hand sanitizer. the small bottle is great for bites on the practice field,, ( from insects that is ) it stops the scrathies,,, and you sanitize you're hands in one shot!! Also works great after eating messy/sticky/junk ,,and before meals. Shines metal too. For 99 cents , you can't go wrong!!! :beer:

yess gold bond is essential lol....my new best friend :P also yea i dont think that many shorts and clothes are needed