Cadets '96 Ensemble, Pt. 2

For Christmas 1996, Santa brought me official photocopies of the judges' sheets for the Cadets' championship week. This means I have 3 sets of sheets: QFs in green; Semis in pinkish; Finals in blue (just to prove I have them). All 3 judges on all 3 nights rewarded the Cadets first place in Ensemble Music. I'm only making a mountain out of this, as it was, in my opinion, one of the best overall ensemble corps I've ever heard----with SCV 1986 probably the pinnacle (wow!).

Back then, it was a 15-point caption with 5 points for each: Musicality (Style/Expression); Overall Sound and Tuning (Tuning/Pitch, Timbre, Consistency); Technique (Cohesiveness, Accuracy, Blend/Balance)

The Quarterfinals judge, Ed Argenzanio (spelling. it's a signature) wrote of their Musicality: "OUTRAGEOUS! THANK YOU!" (verbatim) Under Sound/Tuning, he wrote: "BRAVO BRASS! PUSH IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH!" Under Ensemble, he wrote "Best of Luck!" :P

Wayne Dillon judged Semis and only wrote one comment on the sheet: "A wonderful performance. WOW!!!" (3 !'s)

Chuck King judged finals, where they were awarded a 14.8 (with BD yet to go and Phantom just having "won.") He wrote across the mid of the page: "Spectacular!" Granted, the audio tapes tell much more, but I believe that the spirit of the original question has been answered!

Drum corps is no different than any musical ansemble in that if there is a strong bass line, that's half the battle. Cadets' contra line of 1996 was their very best. They must have found just the right combo of musicians whose tone qualities and breath control were in sync. Paul Hinman, brass semifinals judge, wrote: "Good pitch center! Contras-BRAVO!"

Replying to Tony L.: Yes, there was a huge tear in "Red Pony" just before the drum break. Who knows... that may have cost them 0.1. Most didn't really notice what was happening; it didn't hurt the visual or the transition. Maybe C. King would have otherwise given them a 14.9 (Phantom got a 14.6). Does he read this forum? Tell us, Chuck! :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good points.

as to why it was locked....i havent the foggiest, except a few individuals that are given the priveledge of responsibility in life consistantly abuse them. This is nothing new to anything in life. They said trolling, but they never made a case. I think it should be a democracy, rather than a fascist dictatorship and the opinion, no matter how jaded it is, to let the rest decide what is trolling or not.

good points.

as to why it was locked....i havent the foggiest, except a few individuals that are given the priveledge of responsibility in life consistantly abuse them. This is nothing new to anything in life. They said trolling, but they never made a case. I think it should be a democracy, rather than a fascist dictatorship and the opinion, no matter how jaded it is, to let the rest decide what is trolling or not.

This is a privatly owned site..the owners determine what they consider trolling..you are welcomed to post, but you have to follow their rules..otherwise start your own board..hope you've got $$

You want no moderation..go to RAMD..see what you get.

You want no moderation..go to RAMD..see what you get.

Democracy at its WORST. Be careful what you wish for.

Still, I think the most surprised people when the scores were announced for Music Ensemble were probably the Cadets staff. (Hint: there was more than one noticable tear in that show. It was not their best run of the week.)

Still, I think the most surprised people when the scores were announced for Music Ensemble were probably the Cadets staff. (Hint: there was more than one noticable tear in that show. It was not their best run of the week.)

Ok, the tear to which Tony and I referred is in the closer right before the drum break. Specifically where else? Incidentally, in the three 5-point subcaptions, C. King broke them down thusly:

Musicality: 5.0

Sound/Tuning: 4.9

Technique: 4.9

I don't have the breakdown of BD/Phantom other than Phantom was at 14.6 and BD at 14.5.

I don't think anyone questions the fact that The Cadets had an amazing hornline in 96. I also think Phantom was smokin' and we were all right as well. Apples to apples all the way across the board. When things are that close, I guess as a judge you just count on your fingers the number of errors a corps makes and award the caption to the one who makes the least....tough job that night.

I still haven't figured it out...where are the tears, and especially so, where is the huge one that people always talk about? I still haven't found it.

'96 Cadets fielded one of the best contra lines of all time, IMO.

Replying to Tony L.: Yes, there was a huge tear in "Red Pony" just before the drum break. Who knows... that may have cost them 0.1. Most didn't really notice what was happening; it didn't hurt the visual or the transition. Maybe C. King would have otherwise given them a 14.9 (Phantom got a 14.6). Does he read this forum? Tell us, Chuck! :)

I still don't understand this huge tear everyone is talking about before the drum break. It sounds perfectly fine to me...can anyone explain? It did kind of fall apart in the sixteenth-note run portion in the opener right before the tempo change though...or is this just me?

Good stuff on the 1996 Cadets music ensemble. They were a very strong ensemble no doubt.

Just from my own point of view, I thought, after seeing all of finals that evening in Orlando, that the Cadets would have won had it not been for the tear in the music in Red Pony. I am not sure if that tear is in the recordings, but I think it is, although it seems somewhat muddy due to the technology. But if you were there live, it was major, and I suspect that it cost them more than .5, which is the margin they were behind both BD and Phantom. The reason I say that is because there were marching issues, tempo issues, phasing, and for a short period of time balance was out of whack. It happened quickly, but it was enough to cost them a title.

Now this is just my opinion, and Phantom and BD were certainly deserving champions. But Cadets 1996 could have easily won, despite their brilliant performance at the Olympics, had it not been for that costly tear.

Just before leaving the field after finals, the Cadets performed that closer one more time for both Phantom and BD, and they nailed it (obviously in stand still form). But you could tell that the amazing ensemble sound and musicianship was quite evident.

Jonathan