Pioneer  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Will Pioneer make the top 12 in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Chipmunk Heaven

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a fresh start.....nobody would judge them or joke about them. And then hopefully they'll be able to get more faces at their camps.

Nonsense. It's not the name that's been keeping them where they are. And it doesn't need to be changed in order to get them to move up the competitive ladder.

It would also get rid of any connection to the people in the organization that came before them. All historical prospective lost. Personally, I liked being in a corps that had a history. It provides continuity to the people that came before you.

It would also get rid of any connection to the people in the organization that came before them. All historical prospective lost. Personally, I liked being in a corps that had a history. It provides continuity to the people that came before you.

True. People can say what they want about competitive placement (let's also remember that Pioneer is a former DCI Champion in Class A-60, as well as multiple DCI Division II Champions), there is incredible value to the kind of history they have. That is something you simply don't throw away because you feel people make fun of you for not finishing above a certain place in DCI. People who make fun of a corps for those reasons aren't worth dignifying in the first place, let alone changing your name because of what THEY think.

Okay then I have a question....Do you guys think that going back down to Div. II for a year or two to strength up and then make the move back to Div I, would that help them possibly make finals?

I don't know anything really about the organization, for all I know they may not want to be in the top 12 but rather be known as a entertaining corps. I am just trying to think of ways for a corps, not just pioneer, that is on the bottom to help improve and possibly move up one day.

I think some of the more important questions are -

Is it even a priority for the staff?

Is that even their goal?

How important would it be for to them to even make top 12?

I think that Pioneer is a quality organization bringing quality shows to the field. They perform music that most other corps aren't performing. The kids and staff seem to be having a great time, so that is where I see them being successful.

Having said that, no I don't foresee them making top 12 in the next 5 years, but then again, I don't think that is their main concern, so I really don't think it will bother them much. And if by chance it happen, well great for them.

As far as the fact their music style is similar each year with the Irish theme, and everyone says they should change that to place better, my question is this.

Suppose next year they played Malaguena, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, or Birdland- etc? How many people would complain and say"I can't believe they are playing that piece that (insert corps name here) is so well known for. Sometimes it is better to not be compared to anyone else. Do you what do best and do it well.

But for a corps to really survive, they need to show some competitive success. They just have to. It draws members, sponsors, fees, supports, volunteers, better staff, and more members. To survive, you need to make people want to be a part of your group. And sad to say, competitive success is one of the biggest ways to do that.

And you mentioned them playing other corps' signature songs. No one suggested that they either play Irish msuic, or West Side Story. There is other music out there. A lot of it. The could totally forge a new path with something people havn't seen or heard before. And even if Irish music is their signature theme, do they have to do it every year? If Madison played Malaguena every single year for a decade, I bet the vast majority of fans would be getting pretty tired of it. There is identity, and there is overkill. Madison, Cadets, BD, Crossmen, ect stay on one side of the line. But I fear Pioneer is on the other.

And for everyone saying "why are you guys bashing Pioneer". It's called discussion. Would you rather we simply forgot them and let them fold? We want to see the come back, and with a bang. And sugar-coating is not realistic.

Edited for factual errors.

Edited by G-Cym