Pioneer  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Will Pioneer make the top 12 in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Chipmunk Heaven

next 5 years seems to be a bit of a stretch.

I would love to see them continue to improve, so that they can get out of the bottom of the corps, and maybe get into semis sometime in the future. and then finals later on.

but 5 years... I dont see it happening.

~>conner

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they would have said no cause it had already happen for The Cavaliers. They have only been out of the Top 12 two times since DCI was formed if I'm not mistaken??

You are right I think the 2 years were 73 and 78

I think there needs to be a change in leadership before they can get better. Don't get my wrong Roman is a great guy (when I marched there he took our two South African members on a shopping spree because they didn't have adequate clothing), but he doesn't let the staff work creatively and doesn't do a good job at marketing the corps.

My question is not exactly will they make it in the next five years, but more is it possible with their present (short future) member size, is it really financially and strategically possible for them to be able to do it ever?

I know that Pioneer has set a great structure up for their corps, BUT without numbers, talented numbers at that (not that the students are not talented in any means), but when you have most of the top 12 corps being made up of mostly college students or upper classmen from high school, how can a corps who starts at age 14 be on the same playing field?

I hate to compare it but I'm gonna!

If you have the New York Yankees - a team that has wads of cash to bring in the big guns and is competing every year for a title, compared to a team like the Pittsburgh Pirates - who are lucky to have guys that are willing to play for the league minimum and just out of the minors and unless big changes happen, won't ever have the same talent pool that the Yankees can draw from.

I know anything can happen on any given night but when was the last time Pioneer took out a corps like BD, Phantom, Cadets, Cavies, SCV or even Madison?

I love Pioneer and do believe in Better Every Day! I know that they educate their kids and entertain the audience, but what do they need to do to get on the same playing field as the "Big Boys"?

We are all corps directors in our head and think we all know what each corps should do, but what are the possibilities of us being able to really do it? We are all the armchair quarterbacks, whne we can see the big picture on tv, but when you are in the game and have 300 lb. linemen in your face, can you really make a touchdown pass?

I think some of the more important questions are -

Is it even a priority for the staff?

Is that even their goal?

How important would it be for to them to even make top 12?

I think that Pioneer is a quality organization bringing quality shows to the field. They perform music that most other corps aren't performing. The kids and staff seem to be having a great time, so that is where I see them being successful.

Having said that, no I don't foresee them making top 12 in the next 5 years, but then again, I don't think that is their main concern, so I really don't think it will bother them much. And if by chance it happen, well great for them.

As far as the fact their music style is similar each year with the Irish theme, and everyone says they should change that to place better, my question is this.

Suppose next year they played Malaguena, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, or Birdland- etc? How many people would complain and say"I can't believe they are playing that piece that (insert corps name here) is so well known for. Sometimes it is better to not be compared to anyone else. Do you what do best and do it well.

I have a question, in the NFL/MLB/NBA some times teams will move to a new city and change their name for a fresh start. Has a drum corps ever done that? Because that is something that I think Pioneer could do, move to a new city and have a fresh start. A lot of times people aren't willing to join a corps that is towards the bottom of the rankings, but with a new name you might fool some and get more numbers.

Just a thought....

Only if they do Variations on an Irish Drinking Song.

I have a question, in the NFL/MLB/NBA some times teams will move to a new city and change their name for a fresh start. Has a drum corps ever done that? Because that is something that I think Pioneer could do, move to a new city and have a fresh start. A lot of times people aren't willing to join a corps that is towards the bottom of the rankings, but with a new name you might fool some and get more numbers.

Just a thought....

Just what I was thinking. Not to bash any organization, but within the members of many DCI corps, Pioneer is the butt of a lot of jokes. The image would need a total overhaul. Lose the name. Lose the always-Irish thing. Lose some design staff.

Spirit partnered with JSU and really rose up from what the corps was doing circa 99-00. Maybe Pioneer could relocate and do something similar.

To continue the sports analogy, when you want to study up on an opposing team to compete with them, you watch highlight films. How can the Pioneer design staff keep doing the shows they do while corps like Cavaliers, Cadets, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, etc. put on the type of productions they do and get people to throw babies? Pioneer could be groundbreaking with a smaller corps. They could move audiences with a smaller corps. If BOA bands can pull off some of the stuff that they do and wow crowds, I absolutely think that Pioneer could too.

As for management changes to push the corps forward? Worked for Madison.

Just my $.02 here. I joined a non-finalist corps that went to the top 5. I'd love to see a non-semifinalist corps push near the top 12. As we learned at the Bluecoats, to get there, you need to make personel changes. It takes time to evolve, but as corps like Spirit showed, it is very possible with the right administrative decisions.