Great Lakes Drum Corps.

The reunion was a blast, didn't drink a whole lot. Too many good times to catch up on. I passed the word about the Dutch Boy/Northstar Youth Organization Reunion, and I posted it on my forum page as well. Rob Mason was here from Seatle Wash. and we had another member come from Vancouver B.C. 80 people attended. Got 2 albums and a box of photos to fill my website. I brought my 1978 Northstar corps photo and lots of Gmen/Northstar looked at it. I'm pumped. Anybody really interested in a GLDCA reunion, there could be a lot of people. This thread is building steam, it's been the top thread :D n Historical Junior Corps Discussions a couple times and it is beeing viewed often.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Pretorian, Flushing Mich. Red, White & Blue cadet uniforms
  2. Praesidium All Girl, Riverview Mich. Maroon & White dresses w/Gladiator helmets
  3. Rangers, Taylor Mich. Blue Silks on Dk Blue pants w/Shakos
  4. Diplomats, Mt Clemens Mich. ???????? ?????
  5. Golde Garrison, Ypsilanti Mich. ??????? ?
  6. Green Hornets, Grand Rapids Mich. ???????? ?????.

This is a few of the corps I knew people I marched with or instructors we had marched with. This is turning into a good thread, and in the end why...... Mr. Drum Corps, John Agnello. This guy was so dedicated to youth activities and like him or not, he new what to do and say about pumping the crowd on supporting youth. God Bless you, John

Golden Garrison uniform was dark green and gold. Shoot, can't remember their headgear. I think it was an aussie with a green band and feather(??). God, that was 25 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Well now we'll see if I have figured out how to post. Windsor Guardsmen 1977 at U.S.Open. Anyone tell me what were the last years for U.S.Open and V.F.W. shows?

49bb5ei.jpg

Yes, the Eaglettes were from Sandusky, OH. They later merged with another all-girls corps, the Vacationland Sweethearts, from Port Clinton.

The last year the U.S. Open had a prelims and finals show was in 1994, but the prelims were for Class A & A/60 (the open class had only 4 corps, so there was no prelims). The last time the open class had a prelims/finals show for the U.S. Open was in 1988. The U.S. Open continued under that name for many years, but it was not a true national championship event like it was previously, but rather just a normal stop on the tour.

The final VFW Nationals contest was in 1984, and it was won by the Phantom Regiment Cadets.

Edited by Northern Thunder

• 1 month later...

So many corps and yet so little representation. I know there are people with pics in boxes, so start diggin em out. Now is the time to be represented, and so many people today have no idea of how active the Mich. area was. In 1973 there were 21 corps at V.F.W. State and it seems no one took pics. I just recieved alot of pics from the Guardsmen reunion and this will fill up the Guardsmen portion of our website, but I' m still looking for pic of Great Lakes corps and pics of Northstars. If I were to get enough pics then I could do a Grea tLakes website as well. Keep Lookin. Hey Old Ohio, have any Maraudrs or Iron Brigade pics, there for me. Keep pumpin your site, just a summer flatspot.

I do not read DCP to often that is why I am late to this thread. My name is Dean and I marched with the Glassmen from 74-76. And I love Drum and Bugle Corps History. I have been working on the Glassmen Family History for 3 years now. In so doing I am not only learning about the Glassmen, I am learning about other Drum and Bugle Corps. One of the Corps that came to a Glassmen show was the Praesidium All Girl Drum and Bugle Corps from Riverview Michigan. They gave their commands in Latin. The Iron Brigade came to a Glassmen Show. They are named after the acclaimed Civil War unit the 24th Michigan. The year is 1973 the first year of the Corps. The songs were the Purple Carnival, Brigade, Battle Hymn, Bubbles was a Cheerleader. And finaly Gopher. A medley of When Johnny Comes Marching Home, Battle Hymn, and John Brown's Body. Drum Major-Dave Lafountaine. Color Guard Sargents-Ann Swanson, Gail Williams. Corps Director-Doug Sargent. All this Info can be found at the Glassmen Archives. I know they have pictures of many old School Drum and Bugle Corps. I hope this helps a little. Peace Dean

Thanks Dean. I'm glad you remember Iron Brigade. I marched 73 & 74. We saw Praesidium often. One of the best guard people around was Lin Dinard from Praesidium, she was the guard instructor for all but 2yrs with Windsor Guardsmen. She also brought others with her, like Laura Fineberg, and Sharron Canauck. Lots of talent and sometimes little credit was given the Riverview girls. You marched Glassmen when Great Lakes was an active circuit,. Its hard to believe that in 1973 there were 21 corps at American Legion State. Now Mich. is a sad place for corps.

• 5 weeks later...
Let me know what you need..........

Can you ID this GLDCA Corps from 1972

1972Unknown.jpg

I believe this is the Diplomats from Roseville,MI.