When you marched corps- who influenced you the most

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donny Allen, hands down. I know he reads this from time to time, but he was the one who really kept me going throughout the entire season last year, whether he knew it or not. He's definitely been one of the most influential teachers and friends I've ever had in my lifetime. Like someone said about someone else above, there is too much to be said about him to write it all out here. He is one of my personal role models and is the first person I think of when I think of a person that truly represents what being a Bluecoat is about. He loves the activity, the corps, and all of us kids that have the great privilage of standing in front of him over the summer.

Now to get him to stick around for another 5 years until I age out...:)

Freddy Martin- every time he spoke you wanted to listen....also Alan Armstrong and Jimmy Steele taught me alot

1987 Sky Ryders - Jim Zarlingo (Visual Tech)

I was freakin' clueless when I hit the ground in Hutch at the beginning of 87. Had no idea how to march, stand... keep from falling down part of the time for that matter. Jim really took the time to speak to me quietly, talk about how to guide off other people during a drill move and use peripheral vision all the time... and really "got through" to me. Jim was very cool.

I don't have a picture of Jim Zarlingo.

1988 Sky Ryders - Rob Dunham (Brass Caption Head)

No doubt about it. He really made that season one of the best I ever experienced. He had the best way of communicating to us. He got us to feel confident and mature and play our show better everyday... because we wanted to and liked what we were doing. And Rob pretty much never yelled or screamed at us. He didn't have to. A truly inspiring brass instructor - who was the polar opposite philisophically from the brass staff we had in 1987. The power and confidence you hear on the Sky Ryders' 88 finals recording speaks for itself.

Rob Dunham at the 1988 Sky Ryders Awards Banquet

Rob-Dunham-Banquet-RS.jpg

1989 & 1990 Santa Clara Vanguard - most of staff both years. To name a few...

Rick South (in town Brass Caption Head) - You knew never to waste one minute of rehearsal time with Rick. Do it right. And do it right the first time. And when you didn't, he called you on it. And he knew how to work the emotion out of a hornline.

Here's a pic of Rick South and Ralph Hardimon at the SCV 89 Awards Banquet

Ralph-Rick-Banquet-RS.jpg

Myron Rosander (Visual Caption Head/Designer) - He had so many ways of getting us to focus and keep up the intensity of the rehearsal. Sometimes, he could change an unfocussed rehearsal just by walking out onto the field. "Here comes Myron... SNAP... We're back now." He really made us want to do better than our previous best.

Rick Valenzuella (aged out in 89) and Myron Rosander at the SCV 89 Awards Banquet

Rick-Myron-Banquet-RS.jpg

"Ho Hos and Pepsi". That's how he described to the corps what we sometimes do mentally to sabotage ourselves. Being distracted. Worrying about things that don't matter. Not being focussed from the minute you wake up in the morning. It's like eating "Ho Hos and Pepsi for breakfast. Of course you're gonna feel like crap all morning. And you did it to yourself."

Dan Dilullo (Visual Tech... But this title doesn't even come close to describing his contribution to the corps while I was there) - This guy was like the freakin... Yoda of SCV at the time. Dan could really get in your face when you needed your butt kicked. But he also had the coolest exercises and thought processes he'd have us go through to become ... mentally strong. Very cool Eastern philosophy kinda stuff. And it made us all very much in control and peaceful. It's hard to describe.

We did this one exercise where he showed us that if you picture your arm being a plank of wood, it would be impossible for someone else to bend it. (I wonder how many people who disect and deconstruct drum corps all day long on here on DCP understand how much of these things get incorporated into the drum corps teaching... or did back then anyway.)

Loren Schnieder (Visual Tech) - Another amazing visual tech. Totally committed to the corps and made sure you knew how strong and confident you could be... with the right mindset. Never stopped finding ways to spark improvement. And completely crazy off the field. But in a good way.

Dan Dillulo and Loren Schnieder at the 89 SCV Awards Banquet.

Dan-Loren-Banquet-RS.jpg

And of course Gail Royer - Gail loved us all. That was very clear. He treated us all like adults. There was no B.S. with Gail. He could be tender and compassionate when we needed that. And he could speak with forked-tongue when we needed that too. He told us when we didn't please him. And he told us when we were better. And he told us when we were great. And when Gail stood in front of the corps. He had our undivided attention...because we respected him. You wanted SCV to be great, because you knew how much Gail wanted SCV to be great. And in times when he knew we were feeling beat down (like in the middle of the season in 90) Gail would find a way to crack a joke and you could just feel the pressure release.

G.R. looking at the "pop-up" Phantom of the Opera book I gave him at the SCV 89 Awards Banquet.

Gail-Banquet-RS.jpg

Edited by bradrick

I am deeply indebted to a number of individuals who influenced me during my four marching years at the Colts. A few deserve special reocgnition:

Craig Armstrong and Jonny Zolo: If there are two men in this world who have a more detailed or thorough understanding of marching technique, I have not met them. Many of my most successful teaching techniques were unabashedly stolen from these two men.

Kent Lineberry: His passion and fire for the activity and the Colts was inspiring, followed closely by his incredibly effective teaching and pacing.

Dean Musson: An incredible brass teacher and wonderful pedagogue.

Chuck Naffier: An extremely passionate man. Perhaps the most profound reason for my decision to spend all four years with the Colts.

Beth Wilson: Beth loves the corps with every ounce of her being. No matter the circumstances, Beth's positive attitude and unsinkable optimism are unwavering. Working with her only revealed a deeper commitment to the corps than I had previously seen.

A very heartfelt thank-you to the teachers and staff from my marching years.

Thanks for the opportunity to thank these incredible individuals!

Definately the teaching staff for me. My first horn instructor will go down as one of the most influencial people in my life. I will never forget how he changed my life.

"Teaching Staff":

Add to that the "Support Staff" and the "Moderator/Management" team and you have "Moi's" decade long influnences.

Elphaba

Chuck Naffier: An extremely passionate man. Perhaps the most profound reason for my decision to spend all four years with the Colts.

Beth Wilson: Beth loves the corps with every ounce of her being. No matter the circumstances, Beth's positive attitude and unsinkable optimism are unwavering. Working with her only revealed a deeper commitment to the corps than I had previously seen.

Yes to both of these!!!!!!!!!