Kalamazoo gets new turf

Dunno if anybody knows about this, but apparently W. Michigan University will be replacing the turf in Waldo Stadium (upgrading to either field turf or Fieldplay). They're scheduled to be "officially" done on July 15, meaning that the corps that march there at the DCI show will be the first ones to break it in. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old turf looked old!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::blink:

Oh man, being the first to march on new feild turn is never fun. Its ultra squishy and makes marching difficult. I remember doing San Antonio in 03 with the brand new stuff, Cadets and Cavi's had guys falling all over the place and I myself had a few close ones. Same with this year at Indy, new stuff, I wasnt even expecting it, was a rude suprise. Feild Turf is best after being cooked outside in the hot sun, a lot of the rubber pellets get cooked and melt and it makes for a smoother surface. I guess it's all better than marching through 6" crab grass though.

Crap. The turf at Indy was #### last year, worse than most grass surfaces I've marched on. San Antonio in '03 sucked too. I guess it'll be a bit easier than marching in Kalamazoo in the rain like this past year, but still.....eh....

Heh. I remember back in the 80's when they replaced the astroturf they striped it wrong so that the sidelines & hashes weren't parallel. I was in the marching band back then and we figured out that if you extended the sidelines 500 more yards they'd intersect. :laugh:

Kinda explained why we couldn't get the drill formations correct.

FYI: DCI is moving this show to Battle Creek Central High School in Battle Creek, Michigan. :wub:

Edited by LaSqueegee

Here is the email I received about an hour ago!! :wub:

Dear DCI Kalamazoo Ticket Buyer,

In late April, Western Michigan University informed Drum Corps International of the need to install new artificial turf over the dates contracted for our July 15, 2006 event. As a result DCI is forced to move the 2006 event to Battle Creek Central High School in Battle Creek, MI. While we are disappointed in the timing and the circumstances involved with WMU’s decision we are thrilled with the enthusiastic reception we have received by all levels of the school administration in Battle Creek. Further, we think you will find the stadium will serve as a good venue to see and hear drum corps.

Those parties receiving this letter have purchased tickets for DCI Kalamazoo. We have reserved seating in the main portion of the Battle Creek Central High School stadium to accommodate your requests with the best available seats. Please follow the instructions below in order to process the change as quickly as possible. Your understanding and patience is appreciated.

Because of the late notice and venue change, we regret we cannot offer any VIP packages. Unfortunately, BBQ and parking passes will not be available. If you are seated in the Club Level for Kalamazoo, we encourage you to request tickets in the upper portions of the $35 price range.

Although the change in venue for the 2006 DCI Kalamazoo comes via circumstances beyond DCI’s control, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We are working hard to strengthen the trust Kalamazoo buyers have placed in Drum Corps International. Again, we thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Sincerely,

Dan Acheson

Executive Director/CEO

Drum Corps International

I'm in the same boat. I'm just glad they didn't totally cancel the event!! :)