Visuals - practice & show

The MBI bassline is very busy planning visuals for your viewing pleasure. Every year we seem to come up with the "best visual ever" and then of course the next year we top it. The snuggy vish is still a personal favorite of mine circa 2004 (and very functional too in the middle of the show where you are already pretty much guaranteed to have one, wearing a unitard. Just imagine being able to pull that snuggy out and have it be PART OF THE SHOW! BRILLIANT! Next time the staff takes out one of our visuals [the hop] they may think twice, just what are we going to put in its place?) But I digress, back to the present.

Does anyone out there have a stock visual they do every year? I have one I personally must work into every bass show I march and it's been in every year I've marched Bass. (In case you're wondering - 94, 95, 96, 98, 04, 05, 06) This vish is blowing on the mallet and wiping off the drum head. I love it and even if I didn't, I think I'm too supersticious to leave it out now.

We've done the snuggy vish two years in a row now. Will be three as soon as we find a spot for it.

And for the best visual ever this year? We are adding some pointless spins just for fun quickly followed by a super fun break-dancing move. These have been done before but not in this order and not in a spot that fits the music more perfectly. It's very dangerous writing in so many rests for us.

And yes, we already have a practice vish, one only done in practice and only when we stop at a certain part of the show. Of course, it's the same practice vish as last year, almost the same form too. This seems fair though since the '06 MBI Bassline is the same as the '05 Bassline, we might as well recycle our visuals too.

Another one of my favorites from last year is our random visual spot. We've been doing this for the last couple years as well. Rather than always having the line do stuff together it's nice to be able to have some originality every now and then. Our goal is to entertain and we like to keep the five or six people that look our way at least once in the show with the best performance possible. These random visuals would even change show to show so you'll never know what you get with us. Of course, the main reason we do this is because if the staff saw what we were doing they would probably take it out. So while we have practice only visuals, we also have SHOW only visuals. Anyone else do this or are we special? I probably shouldn't be talking about this... WHOOOPSIE!

So, what's your favorite visual you've done and what are some of the favorite you've seen?

If any of our staff is reading this, I'm just kidding. Go back to ignoring us.

Jesse,

First of all, I couldn't let this thread go without a reply.

It's great to see you out there having fun and y'all sound great to me. As I was walking past the Marshall Fields lot in preparation for our last rehearsal segment, the battery was hard at work running through parts of the show. You came to a point where there was pause and everyone exclaimed "Wait for it!". Now I realize that's audio rather than visual, but it was pretty cool just the same.

P.S. Glad we don't have camp this weekend. Constant rain and temps in the 40's. Welcome to Springtime in Minnesota.

oh we had a few...the SCV wishlist mainly.

the lean, the point, and then we made on our own, the "wiggle"

I should expand this thread to audio's as well. We definitely have audio's in the show every year. You usually can't hear 'em on any recording (if they are done right) but they are fun for us to know they are there.

There is a cool audio in '91 Scouts show actually, you can hear the cymballs going "whoa-oh, whoa-oh" during City of Angels. I'm not sure if it was staff sponsored or not but it was pretty cool and fit the music so I'm assuming yes.

I have a visual WITH an audio in honor of Pete H called the choad-a-dactyl, the sound goes, "CAW!" like a crow and visual looks like the winning kick in karate kid, sort of. It's been in the show each of the last two years!

The snares have a fun audio during a long rest where they sing the music in "meows"

And if you were wondering, the bassline is responsible for the "wait for it" audio. Ever seen the Robin Williams comedy special involving monkeys throwing ####? It's in reference to that. Which one did you hear? There's actually two right now but will probably be cut down to one. One is definitely better than the other.

" You're the best,... around"