Best G Hornline?

Star '92, I notice is being mentioned alot. ...but it never seems to get much love from the drum corps community.

The show was incredibly performed, their brass line in particular... but as hard as I try to like it, I just don't find it entertaining. That also seems to be the opinion of a lot of other people I've talked to.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star '93

The show was incredibly performed, their brass line in particular... but as hard as I try to like it, I just don't find it entertaining. That also seems to be the opinion of a lot of other people I've talked to.

I suppose I have heard the same comments, and it's not neccessarily on my all-time favorites list, but I know that I have shown that video to a bunch of "newbies" that are able to "get it" on the first viewing and that's always a plus in my book.

I have never had the opportunity to see Madison's '95 show, but I'm sure that one would also go over pretty well as an introduction to drum corps.

also, one that sticks out that isn't pre 99 is SCV 2000... pretty good.

:master::whistle:

I think in the 70s I would give the award to the 1975 Madison Scouts, with the 1979 Blue Devils and the 1979 Phantom Regiment being not far behind.

In the 80s I the top award goes to Blue Devils 1988. I have stated this before, and many seem to agree on here, that this horn line is one of the alltime best (G or Bb). What a book and what a sound, and what style. They were just terrific...and the solos!!!!! But I must also give bigtime kudos to Garfield 1983-85. They didn't just re-define the visual book ladies and gentlemen, those mid-80s hornlines were incredible. The 84 line had such a powerful G sound, and the 85 line played one of the toughest books ever and did it incredibly well on Gs. And keep in mind that the instruments Garfield was playing on in the mid-80s were just terrible (old and beat up). Finally, you have to mention Phantom Regiment 1988 and 1989, and SCV 1987. We all love 1989 Phantom, and for good reason (still the best I have ever heard a corps sound in mid-june), but the 1988 show was great. What a sweet sound they had.

In the 1990s we saw Star of Indiana re-define the power, blend, and musicianship of the horn line. 1990 - 1993 are just incredible examples of some of the best lines ever, and perhaps the 1992 line IS the best G line ever. But the Cadets also had a run in the 90s (although only one co-brass title in 95). From 1993 to 1997 they produced some amazing horn lines, and the music they performed was unreal, with 1997 being one of the most difficult musical books ever...even to this very day. In a standstill, and this is my opinion, I highly doubt any line from 1995-1997 could have beaten them. Of course, we all know that you have to move as well, but those shows were killers musically and visually--even the 1996 show, which so many have been critical of for the stand-fast production of Swing, Swing, Swing. We must also consider Phantom 1996, BD 1994 and 1999, and the sound that the Cavaliers produced, and the musicianship, in 1992 was amazing. But the winner here goes to Star of Indiana 1992.

So for me it comes down to the following three corps:

1970s - Madison Scouts 1975

1980s - Blue Devils 1988

1990s - Star of Indiana 1992

And the winner is:

1992 Star of Indiana - 19.95

2nd Place - BD 1988 - 19.90

3rd Place - Madison 1975 - 19.75 :)

Now, if I don't go by decade, then my top 5 G lines are:

1. Star 1992

2. Blue Devils 1988

3. Garfield 1985

4. Phantom Regiment 1989

5. Cadets 1997

Jonathan

88 BD. That was easy.

Close second, 93 Star.

Good post, Jonathan.

Star '92, I notice is being mentioned alot. This is so interesting to me since I always enjoyed that particular show (saw it live three times, including one week before finals at DCI Mid-America in Bloomington) but it never seems to get much love from the drum corps community.

What do you think kept them from maintaining their level of dominance through Finals week?

Also, didn't they have 16 in a section (including CONTRAS) that year? THAT will certainly add to the "lushness" of the sound!

Show design. I think we had our finest performances on finals weekend but we maxed out the potential of that show early. Remember that we lost Zingali before the season started and it seems that from a design standpoint the visual package was lacking his guidance. I think the arranging was spectacular but I believe we could've selected a better closer than Flag of Stars. Plus, you've always got to consider the cheese factor in regards to any patriotic show. The fine line between tear jerking and cheese is very narrow and hard to define so there's always a chance that it may have turned some people/judges off. The Oliver Stone ilk believe that it would've been too unpopular for them to give us the title over Cavies again...I've even heard rumors that placements were decided before finals. I personally believe it comes down to design...it just wasn't a complete package that would've left little doubt who the champion was.

Show design. I think we had our finest performances on finals weekend but we maxed out the potential of that show early. Remember that we lost Zingali before the season started and it seems that from a design standpoint the visual package was lacking his guidance. I think the arranging was spectacular but I believe we could've selected a better closer than Flag of Stars. Plus, you've always got to consider the cheese factor in regards to any patriotic show. The fine line between tear jerking and cheese is very narrow and hard to define so there's always a chance that it may have turned some people/judges off. The Oliver Stone ilk believe that it would've been too unpopular for them to give us the title over Cavies again...I've even heard rumors that placements were decided before finals. I personally believe it comes down to design...it just wasn't a complete package that would've left little doubt who the champion was.

Do you think the Cadets overtaking you guys finals week and taking 2nd was a design thing as well, or more so performance based?