I'm pretty worried right now...

I'm not disputing that they have a ton of money invested.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/16/...in1620802.shtml

Yikes.

So, we agree on the one point of they have a lot of money invested in oil. Why are we still debating it? Let's move on.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go look it up yourself - you won't hear it on the mainstream media.

I've done enough work for you.

You haven't showm me anything about demand.

I'm not disputing that they have a ton of money invested.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/16/...in1620802.shtml

Yikes.

This story says that Bush's assets grew by about 15% in 2005. Energy stocks were up 75% last year.

Sooo...why is GW up only 15%? As an investment manager, I gotta wonder how this can be the case...

Maybe it's because he doesn't own as much in oil as has been claimed...

Hmmmmmm....

Edited by 81regiment

You haven't showm me anything about demand.

David - I'm not going to show you. You have to get off your can and do some research and analysis yourself.

Sorry, I'm not running a welfare state.

David - I'm not going to show you. You have to get off your can and do some research and analysis yourself.

Sorry, I'm not running a welfare state.

I believe I have done enough. You don't like my sources and you are entitled to that. There is one indisputable fact, neither one of us is going to change the others' opinion. We are now just saying the same things over and over. I'm moving on. You can choose what you want to do. I hope all the corps can adjust their budgets to be able to thrill audiences all summer. I wish them the best of luck.

You're right, Dave, nobody is going to change anybody else's opinion in this argument and it is wallowing into repetition, however, I've enjoyed reading other's comments and ideas. And while this has certainly been a heated debate, I've found it to be one of the most intelligent and (for the most part) civil discussions of a controversial topic that I've seen on DCP.

I believe I have done enough. You don't like my sources and you are entitled to that. There is one indisputable fact, neither one of us is going to change the others' opinion. We are now just saying the same things over and over. I'm moving on. You can choose what you want to do. I hope all the corps can adjust their budgets to be able to thrill audiences all summer. I wish them the best of luck.

Hey, you asked for sources - I got sources.

I've provided sources from the US Department of Energy, The Energy Information Administration, the US Government Information Service, OPEC, the Securities and Exchange Commission, Baker Hughes...

and you have posited...ABC News.

And here are two more to corroborate Bush and Cheney's holdings. Look at all those oil holdings...

http://www.publicintegrity.org/bop2004/can...?cid=2&act=pfin

http://www.publicintegrity.org/bop2004/can...?cid=1&act=pfin

And no, I do not like using the media as a credible source. ABC News is the only source you mentioned, and if that's good enough for you, I wish you my best. I'd never make a decision or form an opinion based on a biased source.

As an aside, watch for a press release in the next few days on what some drum corps are doing to try to protect themselves against a spike in fuel costs. I doubt that ABC News will pick it up, so I will post a heads up for the entire DCP community when that happens.

Bring on the summer.

Edited by 81regiment

Have you traveled in a third world country?

And who is charging $70? OPEC.

No, OPEC is not. It's the world commodities market that's decided that crude oil should be priced at $70 ($68 now, I believe) a barrel. It has nothing to do with refineries, oil companies or Bush and Cheney, conspiracy theories notwithstanding. Granted, OPEC is part of that market, but in large part prices were driven upward by speculators buying up oil futures after Iran started rattling its nuclear sabre.

The FTC did an investigation into charges of gouging, and found, as expected, absolutely nothing. All price changes were well within the normal results of market behavior. High prices for gas? Unfortunately, yes, although as someone mentiond still not the highest on record comparitively. But it isn't because oil companies are trying to screw anyone over.

I just recieved the Spring 2006 DCI Today magazine. On page 28, article previewing this summers productions, an interesting tidbit about one finalist corps. "Among the challenges and risks for this year's version of *** ****** are moving their rather large props-CONTAINED IN AN EXTRA TRACTOR-TRAILER".

I guess not everyone is worried about the high cost of fuel.