Appleknockers

"The Thing" came about when the St. Patrick's Imperials and Thunderbolts merged in 1973. They had to come up with a name, and thought "The Thing" would fit. The name DID fit, since they wore the uniforms of both corps....green, purple....WOW! Quite a site! In 1974 the name was changed to the Pioneers, and years later they simply became Pioneer.

Anybody lucky enough to have the first volume of Drum Corps World's history book (they are completely sold out) has seen the index of corps that I put together. There have been tons of strange corps names over the decades. Here are a few of my favorites....

Tillamook Cheesemen--Oregon

Pea Pickers--NY

Green Mules--MO

Mosquitos--MI

Beaver Patrol--OH

Oblong Little Egyptians--IL

Kalamazoo Golden Kazoos--MI

The Who--WA

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't match some of the names mentioned, But! from the 1960s. I give you..................

St. Joe's of Toms River, NJ was called the "Modernairs" They wore Green Tux coats, Black pants, and a Black TOP HAT.

The "Firesiders" Union Beach, NJ, sponsored by a Fire Department. They wore Ogange and Black. (Don't that just make you want to go camping)

The "Pointers", no not the singing group, was from Point Pleasant, NJ

"Pom Poms" an All Girl Corps from Pittsfield, Mass. (Bon Bons was taken already)

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Gus played with the Senior Appleknockers. I use to watch him play drumset with the Sr. corps Winter concert group. They would do a 2 hour show with songs ranging from marches, to jazz, blues, and more. Gus was the first real professional drum set player I ever saw. He blew me away with what he could do. Before that the only set drummers I saw were kids from my home town that played in local rock bands. They were decent but Gus showed me what really could be done on a drum set.

The Appleknockers were a formidable drum & bugle corps. Probably one of the most talented corps to ever take the competition field. They were one of the first corps to stray away from marches and started adding pop tunes to their field shows. Plus, they featured some of the greatest horn soloists in all of drum corps - Ken Peterson (still plyaing today w/ St. Joe's Alumni, Jack Bullock, Frankie Farr, Don Phipps, Hardy Carasas, Tom Hessney, and many more. The drum line was also impressive with the likes of John Pratt, Gus Barbaro, Doug Bascom, the Alling brothers, Gus Veaudry and more.

The Junior corps was formed in the Fall of 1962. The first parade was in the Spring of 63. The first year in competition was in 65. The corps was an active competitive until the Fall of 1974. The junior corps had a fair amount of success during it's short life. Many of us are still involved in drum corps or music in one way or another. We also meet every 5 years for a reunion banquet. We will get together November 4th of this year for the event. We expect to get between 120 - 150 members show up for the party.

Appleknockers? That's funny. Probably one of the weirdest names for a drum corps I've ever heard. If anyone out there has any more, please submit them. I'd love to hear more!

I know what you mean. I remember the Appleknockers back when I was knee high to a grasshopper, so the name never struck me as odd in any way. Ironically, when I later started hearing about a corps called the "Blue Devils" I thought THAT was weird! Of course after I learned about the history and origin of the name it all made sense. :)

The Appleknockers were a formidable drum & bugle corps. .... The drum line was also impressive with the likes of John Pratt, Gus Barbaro, Doug Bascom, the Alling brothers, Gus Veaudry and more.

I did not know that Jack Pratt marched with them. What a 'wild and crazy guy'...he and I taught together in the 70's.

$1 to Steve Martin

:)

I know what you mean. I remember the Appleknockers back when I was knee high to a grasshopper, so the name never struck me as odd in any way.

I know what you mean...I never thought the name 'Blue Rock' was odd at all until years later when someone said they found it a strange name for a corps.

did not realize Gus was set drummer for the winter group from Appleknockers... I must have seen them a hundred times

Don Phipps... wow... there's a memory of a true drum corps gentleman. It was my pleasure to march next to him in the Syracuse Brigadiers. He was someone we all looked up to... a great person.

I was there at that '71 U.S. Open. The Appleknockers had a unique musical presentation that season..... Three Dog Night's "It's For You" as a lead-in to "Ritual Fire Dance", and later played Chicago's "Someday". A nice, kickin' show for that year!

Cool. Thanks for sharing your memories Brian. Our complete rep that year was: Three Dog Night * Ritual Fire Dance (from El Amor Brujo) * Rally Round the Flag * You Make Me So Very Happy * Someday * We've Only Just Begun * Here's That Rainy Day.

1971 was my sixth competitive season with the corps. Finals of the U.S. Open was our only time as a finalist in national competition. You never forget the thrill. The gratification of being on the same playing field as our rival, St. Joseph's of Batavia, instead of eating their dust from prelims is indescribable.

For a link of a picture of the corps that year: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums//ind...p;#entry1367733

Link to a good story behind this picture: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums//ind...p;#entry1029118