Cadets' New Sound Clip

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The kids marching the Cadets this year new what they were getting into. And if they didn't, they quickly found out at the early camps. If they don't like it, they can leave. Plenty of other corps to march with, and plenty of corps looking for bodies.

That's an interesting theory, but I'm not sure it really works that way. If somebody really wants to march with a particular corps, they will stick around for it even if it looks like it will be a down year or they don't particularly care for the show from a fan's perspective. If it might be your one chance to march with Cadets, either due to your age or other circumstances, you may not pass it up even if you find portions of the show to be unappealing.

you guys are all too funny

1. don't try to judge the quality or potential of anything drum corps related based on some pre-season low-quality MP3 on the web

2. if the members don't like it and the staff doesn't like it they might change it - but that's up to them honestly

3. the "I turned it off after half a minute" or "I feel sorry for the members" comments are just Cadet bashing type comments that really don't add to the debate - IMHO

The brass sounded great, but what was that moaning? Was somebody ill?

Seriously...I mean, it wasn't that bad, but the whole time I was listening to the vocals...Maybe its just me, but im not sure I am liking the whole vocal scene in drum corps...who knows, maybe it will be different live though.

It sounds quite interesting, although I do see what some of ya'll mean it could be better if it was played. But for the whole acid trip type thing The Cadets seem to be going for lately, it works well. Might just be the visialization(sp?) I'm using on windows media tho.....

But seriously, I think it sounds pretty cool.

Edited by PioSop06

I remember at the start of 2005, when some of you felt sorry for the corps(uniform thing)...

well - I actually felt bad about it right up to and including the end :P Good thing judges gave them a pass on that aspect - IMHO / obviously execution allowed them to forgive it

Random thoughts:

I'm not worried about the performance issues.

I'm not worried that they are singing through a microphone.

I think this might be my favorite thing that I see this summer.

I think the impact could be changed to be a little more effective.

It doesn't matter what you sound like in May, it only matters what you sound like in August.

I'm not sure if there is a cohesive show design.

I don't think the judges are going to buy the "it isn't supposed to make sense" thing this year.

I disagree with those of you who think it would work as a brass solo. What makes it special is the different timbre of the voice. If it were a baritone, or mello solo it would blend into the accompaniment parts and wouldn't be as effective.

Would someone explain to me why they don't like the singing. I would appreciate reasoned and thoughtful responses so that I may understand your position.

Edited by profhill

Although I would love to bash The Cadets here, I just can't. There show ideas are growing on me and I can see were they are going with this. I think this well be amazing and in good old Cadets fashion, if it's not working change it. I'm pretty sure this part will change along with many other parts of the show to make it work better if it's not.

I'll be one to say it because someone will sooner or later. How many of you that have been around with Drum Corps since the mid 80's or earlier liked Star '93 back then? Heck, how many people that have been around with Drum Corps since 1993 liked Star '93 back then? I'm not saying in anyway The Cadets are become Star, no one can do that. But people are making fun of Cadets like they did Star, and look at how we think of Star to day.

I'm also pretty sure if Star had stayed a Drum Corps they would be doing even crazier and different things then The Cadets. And if Star were around today I would want to join them for that reason.

This vocal could EASILY be replaced by an instrumental part as a solo. I can't believe the Cadet members aren't up in arms to have their corps/program being hijacked by a singer, when a brass part would flow so much better and provide a better complement to what it sounds like they are trying to do.

Wow, you completely missed the point of the singer in the first place. A brass instrument does NOT sound like the human voice, period. The show wasn't "hikacked", that is absolutely ridiculous.

Those of you commenting on the dirt in the brassline or whatever, you really make me laugh. Yeah, because we all know how bad a championship Div. 1 drum corps is, right? :blink: