Is it really worth it.

It isn't even about DCI but everyone involved.

But since DCI is the governing body and they do have some responsibility.

Take the Marion Cadets situation. If the kids aren't being fed while on tour, someone has to answer for that. The kids need to speak out, the parents need to scream and yell, the instructors need to report the situation to DCI if it's really happening on tour. But what's being done. Nothing. And next year they will have another group of kids to abuse. Would something like this happen with the NCAA, NFL, USOC, no it wouldn't. There should be checks throughout the year on the condition of the corps. While it may not happen now as it did in the past does anyone check the safety of the buses these kids ride on? The schools they stay in? How about background checks for instructors????

Why do people instruct? Is it to help kids (are kids still involved above the D3 level) or is it EGO? I know some instructions are in it for the right reasons or believe it's the right reasons. Take Jester last year. From all reports the muscial book was above the kids. Why would that be? Is it the horn person, program director, who. Why wouldn't someone say lets "dumb" (for lack of a better word) it down little and play it the best they can. An easy well played horn book will beat a hard badly played horn book anyday.

How much longer will corps continue to take multi-week tours? Gas is $3 a gallon when no one thought it would be over $2. so budgets have to be blown. But will anyone change anything? No not likely.

I could go on and on but I'm at work and don't usually type this much.....It's not about just DCI. I'm just wondering if anyone of consequence is listening or cares what the people feel or have to say.

I sense you have some frustration here. Valid concerns, but one thing you need to remember though, is that each corps is its own individual corporation, with its own bilaws and its own 501©3 and so forth. Just because they belong to a club called DCI which provides performance opportunities for them does not mean that DCI should have the right to micro-manage each corps' corporation. Each corps should be accountable for their own actions, so if you have a problem with a certain group's way of doing things, you should really be talking to that group's board of directors, or Corps Director, or whatever position they have at the top which makes the decisions.

Gas is certainly a nationwide problem, so complaining at a drum corps level will not change anything, unfortunately. But again, it is a very real and valid concern.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be checks throughout the year on the condition of the corps. While it may not happen now as it did in the past does anyone check the safety of the buses these kids ride on? The schools they stay in?

Absolutely. In 2004 the Department of Transportation had a surprise visit to a show somewhere in Minnesota (I'm forgetting the city at the moment. I know there are some '04 vets who lurk on here and they can probably chime in) where the inspected EVERY corps vehicle, ranging from our tour busses to our equipment trucks. I can distinctly remember seeing a few of Madison's busses pulling into the parking lot, and the minute they saw the DOT jackets walking around, pulled out and parked elsewhere. Two of our busses were detained, with one of them being able to be repaired on site and the other had to be towed back to our bingo hall in Wisconsin. Safety checks DO happen, and I believe in every corps mandate they have stated that "the safety of our members is our first priority" (written in one form or another).

Obviously, members not being fed, or vehicles that are not safe are serious concerns and those concerns should be addressed. But, DCI is an organization that is made up of the member corps. It is not the responsibility of DCI to make sure the individual corps are feeding their members or that their vehicles were in good working order.

I would imagine that if someone brought it to the attention of anyone of the DCI Bord members that a corps was in desperate financial shape to the point that their members weren't being fed someone would step in and recitify the situation. Whether that be, sharing food, or not allowing the group to perform at any more shows until they were on a stronger financial footing.

This isn't a new thing. I had a friend who marched in a corps that is no longer in exsistence and his father, he found out later, paid for tires for more than 1 of the tour busses because the tires had to be replaced immediately or they were not going to go any further.

Edited by profhill

Obviously, members not being fed, or vehicles that are not safe are serious concerns and those concerns should be addressed. But, DCI is an organization that is made up of the member corps. It is not the responsibility of DCI to make sure the individual corps are feeding their members or that their vehicles were in good working order.

And are any of those problems really happening on a widespread basis? I know there were some issues with Magic in the recent past, and most corps have had to deal with bus issues, but that is just part of tour. Is it really that big of a deal?

And Crossmen had no breakdowns last year, so I know at least one admin team is doing a great job B)

Okay, So what I'm getting and I know I'll be corrected is that DCI is only responsible for setting rules and shows. There is no oversight by DCI. DCI is made up of member corps.

I'm looking at it like this. The NCAA is made up of member schools. They have oversight on all college sports activities. The make the rules and makes sure all schools follow them. They also make sure students have safe conditions and instructors have minimum qualifications. When something happens they investiage it. Each school is individually run but answers to the governing body of the membership which is the NCAA.

So let's say the "Lancerettes" come to each show, follow all the rules, it doesn't matter if the kids are being mistreated, or one of the instructors is a child molester. They only sleep 4 hours a day and stay at dirty schools, there is nothing no one can do?

So no one answers to DCI? And DCI answers for no one but DCI (which is made up of member corps) I know God bless me with more looks then brains but I can't understand this. Is the "President" of DCI a puppet or like the commsioner of the NFL, elected by the owners but answers to no one but the good of the game?

I'm off my rant I just want to understand.

I understand your analogy and agree that DCI, as a governing body, has some responsibility to oversee and ensure the well-being of its member corps. However, I believe the point of your original post concerned DCI's role in ensuring the survival of corps respective of financial and other managerial issues. To that end, let's continue the NCAA analogy. If an NCAA team has a string of bad years competitvely, sees its recruiting potential diminished, sees fewer and fewer players join the team, witnesses a decline in alumni support and financial contributions, etc., those problems must be dealt with by the individual school -- not the NCAA. The school must decide to hire a new coaching staff, take steps to increase revenues, attract new recruits to the team, and the like. DCI, though a governing body, cannot and should not manage individual corps.

Edited by ChicagoFan

Okay, So what I'm getting and I know I'll be corrected is that DCI is only responsible for setting rules and shows. There is no oversight by DCI. DCI is made up of member corps.

I'm looking at it like this. The NCAA is made up of member schools. They have oversight on all college sports activities. The make the rules and makes sure all schools follow them. They also make sure students have safe conditions and instructors have minimum qualifications. When something happens they investiage it. Each school is individually run but answers to the governing body of the membership which is the NCAA.

So let's say the "Lancerettes" come to each show, follow all the rules, it doesn't matter if the kids are being mistreated, or one of the instructors is a child molester. They only sleep 4 hours a day and stay at dirty schools, there is nothing no one can do?

So no one answers to DCI? And DCI answers for no one but DCI (which is made up of member corps) I know God bless me with more looks then brains but I can't understand this. Is the "President" of DCI a puppet or like the commsioner of the NFL, elected by the owners but answers to no one but the good of the game?

I'm off my rant I just want to understand.

Wrong. The NCAA does not tell the schools what coaches to hire. The institutions determine who they hire as faculty or coaches. The schools are responsible for their facilites as well. The NCAA sanctions tournaments, determines egligbility, and sets the rules for fair competition amongst all levels of intercollegiate athletics.

If a corps doesnt feed and abuses its members, it will fail on its own lack of merits. Marion went under because no kids went there..for good reason, it would seem. If allegations come out, DCI will investigate, to be sure. if bad things happen there is plenty peole can do..report this to the proper agencies, both locally, and DCI

Plenty of people answer to DCI. Corps must follow a set of rules, must provide extensive insurance, and are responisble for keeping in compliance with the law and government agencies (read: Troopers)

Occasionaly, a corps make bad choices and bad things happen. Thanks to the efforts of DCI and its adminstration, this happens less and less today. There is oversight, and the hard working folks at DCI always want to know if something less than kosher is going on. They will work with that corps administration to fix the problem. If the corps refuses to comply, then they will take action.

You seem really to have some sort of issue here.. :sshh:

It would be interesting to perhaps put together an DCP advisory board. A group of people that anyone with an idea could submit it to. The board could debate the validity of the idea and decide whether or not to endorse it. Something that is officially endorsed by a group rather than someone's opinion wouuld carry a bit more weight. Plus, it carries the added bonus, that DCP is not a club. Anyone can join and submit ideas.

Granted this would take some time to put together and there is no gurantee that it would be taken seriously. Personally, I think it would be step in the right direction.

Hmm. I like that idea. It think it might make DCP more fun and meaningful.