Is it really worth it.

It isn't even about DCI but everyone involved.

But since DCI is the governing body and they do have some responsibility.

How about background checks for instructors????

Why do people instruct? Is it to help kids (are kids still involved above the D3 level) or is it EGO?

How much longer will corps continue to take multi-week tours? Gas is $3 a gallon when no one thought it would be over $2. so budgets have to be blown.

As an old Phart I have to say I am in stitches. I just went to a local DCI corps site and they have a CEO, multiple/MULTIPLE "caption heads",,,good GOD the managment team is so top heavy I almost swallowed my tongue laughing!

Id say the instructor thing is like 80% EGO, but hey..Im just guessing LOL

Then I went to the dues...audition fee(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)and $840+ in dues. WOW! I remember decking our financial guy because he suggested I owed any dues at all.

$800-1,000 bucks? If im a 20 year old im taking a summer trip to Europe and creating some SERIOUS good memories!

MY answer?

NO..not worth it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an old Phart I have to say I am in stitches. I just went to a local DCI corps site and they have a CEO, multiple/MULTIPLE "caption heads",,,good GOD the managment team is so top heavy I almost swallowed my tongue laughing!

Then I went to the dues...audition fee(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)and $840+ in dues. WOW! I remember decking our financial guy because he suggested I owed any dues at all.

$800-1,000 bucks? If im a 20 year old im taking a summer trip to Europe and creating some SERIOUS good memories!

MY answer?

NO..not worth it.

Have you tried to feed a 20-year-old for 11 weeks? Believe me, it costs alot more than that tour fee :P . Everything else they provide is a freebie.

MY answer?

NO..not worth it.

Whatever.

Yup..corps today try to avoid the fly by night thing and have people in places to do the job and teach the kids properly. Its not like any of those people are pulling down $100 grand a year or anything.

Audition fees, $1000 dues..yup..in 2006 fielding even a Div III corps is expensive. Have you put gas in your car recently? What most corps collect in dues/tuition is a FRACTION of what it cost to feed/move/outfit a kid for a summer.

If you deck your financial guy for suggesting you owe cash, remind me never to lend you $$..sounds like a charecter flaw to me :sshh:

For the expericence of a lifetime $1,000?? You bet.

Whatever.

Yup..corps today try to avoid the fly by night thing and have people in places to do the job and teach the kids properly. Its not like any of those people are pulling down $100 grand a year or anything.

Audition fees, $1000 dues..yup..in 2006 fielding even a Div III corps is expensive. Have you put gas in your car recently? What most corps collect in dues/tuition is a FRACTION of what it cost to feed/move/outfit a kid for a summer.

If you deck your financial guy for suggesting you owe cash, remind me never to lend you $$..sounds like a charecter flaw to me :sshh:

For the expericence of a lifetime $1,000?? You bet.

But there are choices that have to be made. Not only is gas sky high but here in Delaware electric is going up 50%, Water 38%, those are things you can't live without. I went shopping this weekend and hot dogs average $3 a pack. Chicken is also sky high. So once again we're back to only a small percentage of the population can afford to send thier kid on tour......on wait kids (under 18) aren't in the top corps so it doesn't matter. It's hard for kids to get jobs now-a-days. While managing a Wendy's I didn't have anyone under 21.

There as to be a better way.

Every corps has scholarships for kids that would have difficulty marching due to $$ issues. The LAST reason any corps would want you not to march is because of money.

In reality, corps today don't really aim to serve underprivlidged kids. While this may not be the best poltically, kids, regardless of their socio-economic group, deserve a good actvity to participate in.

But there are choices that have to be made. Not only is gas sky high but here in Delaware electric is going up 50%, Water 38%, those are things you can't live without. I went shopping this weekend and hot dogs average $3 a pack. Chicken is also sky high. So once again we're back to only a small percentage of the population can afford to send thier kid on tour......on wait kids (under 18) aren't in the top corps so it doesn't matter. It's hard for kids to get jobs now-a-days. While managing a Wendy's I didn't have anyone under 21.

There as to be a better way.

My son just turned 14 and is marching his second year in DCI. He has worked very hard to find folks to give donations in his name to help offset some of his tour fees, but I still have paid the majority. Plus driven him 650 miles each way for camps every month, worked other weekends and evenings to get enough time off for tour, etc. Yes, it is expensive. But so are the weekly movie tickets, Florida vacations, nice lawns, nights out on the town, bowling leagues, etc., etc. that all of my neighbors seem to spend their money on. Some of us just feel that giving up all of these so-called adult necessities are worth it to have our kids experience drum corps. I know of very few families that truly cannot afford having a child in drum corps if they really look at where their money is going. As I mentioned before, just calculating the savings in food I will have this summer with him on the road for 11 weeks is just about what I paid for his tour.

IMHO, the experiences he will have this summer and over the next seven years are worth giving up the other stuff others seem to value.

MY answer?

NO..not worth it.

Dude, LBJ's not in office anymore.

Stuff costs more now. Life happened. Deal with it.

MY answer?

NO..not worth it.

Yeah, we should beat up the corps' financial people.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

If a corps doesnt feed and abuses its members, it will fail on its own lack of merits. Marion went under because no kids went there..for good reason, it would seem. If allegations come out, DCI will investigate, to be sure. if bad things happen there is plenty peole can do..report this to the proper agencies, both locally, and DCI

OK, so is something being done about Marion? I mean, is DCI investigating? And then what COULD DCI do once they investigated and found out all there is to find out?

In case anyone hasn't read all the discussion about the inner workings of the Marion Glory Cadets...read this thread