Red Carpet Association

two questions:

what caused RCA to be formed, and what killed it?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing is that back then, there were so many corps, especially when you were in DCA's AND RCA's, that we had a show somewhere most every weekend. I look at the schedule now and I feel bad for these lesser known or struggling corps, because they only have a few shows.

And every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day for us. Season started with Mount Carmel/Danville exhibition until DCA.

Imagine a championships where there are 16 corps and only a couple of them are from DCA's. That's what it was like back then.

Lot of times someone tries to compare number of Sr corps between the 70s and today by using DCA Prelims counts. Have to remind them lot of corps went to RCA the weekend before then stayed home Labor Day.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

two questions:

what caused RCA to be formed, and what killed it?

For years I thought the last RCA Champs was 1977. Then found out out seven corps went to Niagra Falls and that was it. :blink: Thought the smaller corps died out but the 1978 RCA Champs had corps that lasted a few more years and some didn't become DCA members. Yeah good question....

I have same questions on ICA (International Corps Assoc) the lasted only a few years in the mid 80s. Only reason to remember ICA anymore was it was had Empire Statesmen and Steel City as members during their early years.

Oh crap.... I just realized I competed at DCA, RCA and ICA Championships during my "career". :wub:

anyone remember Wind Gap Blue Eagles in RCA? I marched 79and 80 with them. We did win any but everyone knew we were there.

anyone remember Wind Gap Blue Eagles in RCA? I marched 79and 80 with them. We did win any but everyone knew we were there.

I remember em, and when the name changed to Rennaisance.

in fact, in 1980, Westshore loved you guys...you took the record low score off of our hands at hershey

I am one of the few folk who marched in both RCA and ICA title contests. Seems to me the '73 contest in Erie was HOT and HUMID, a very unseasonably sticky day. But for some reason, I don't remember a lot about the contest itself.

Yes, the Syracuse Brigadiers did compete in the RCA contest in Erie in '74 to establish itself as a competing senior corps for the season to allow them to satisfy DCA rules for participation at prelims the following weekend. I have a CD of a cassette recording of the Brigs' performance that night.

And yes, Brass, Inc. was also there. I believe they wore blue satin tunics back then.

ICA was also an interesting circuit in which to march. Yes, Empire Statesmen and the Guelph Royalaires were constants. Steel City and Bushwackers were also regulars in their early days. But Crusaders, Musketeers, Sunrisers, and even the Buccaneers competed in at least one ICA show.

The 1985 ICA Championships in Erie were memorable for me. It rained the entire contest and we had a rum-filled watermelon that we shared with several members of some of the other corps as well as all 24 spectators. I sorta remember being carried out of the party at the Holiday Inn afterward, only to find that someone had uprooted the marigolds from the hotel landscaping and transplanted them to the dashboard of our rented van. This led to a trail of marigolds and potting soil all the way down PA route 99 into Edinboro...

Edited by K2SMA

Roger Ellis?,................call for Roger Ellis?

I did a lot of research on the RCA at one point for Drum Corps World. I wrote a brief history of RCA that includes a comprehensive list of all corps that appeared at the RCA Championship shows, and a list of all of the champions. I also compilied a spreadsheet of all of the scores of the championship shows. Contributors to this effort included Jeff Davis, Ron Allard, Jeff Ream and others including Mark (no last name in my files) from White Sabers.

None of this information was ever linked from a website as far as I know. Gary, I am sending you the files in a separate email in the hope that you will link them to the Thunderbird website for all the world to behold.

aaah Keith, you've done it again! Caused some memory to kick in!

I loved that circuit as a member of the Burlington Commanders (Canadian Commanders).

1970 was the last year for Canada's Marching Ambassadors who were in RCA along with Guelph. Kingston Grennies (in their old Viscount uniforms!) and Kawartha Kavaliers.

I think RCA was formed so that those corps which were not quite DCA calibre (and there were a LOT in 1970) and could not afford to travel deeper into the United States would have a place to compete. Not that we didn't take the championships seriously! We had a tremendous rivalry with the Pittsburg Rockets in 1971. They beat us in Erie that year for the crown but we took them at DCA's a week or so later.

Johnsonburg and the Diplomats were a great bunch, especially their Drum Major, Bud Speaker (sp?).

He took a bunch of us into his home and fed us and beered us for a couple days in 1971. A really great guy.

Best party IMO was Dunkirk and then Getzville. Sometimes we chose which show to attend according to how good the party was after the show! Koch's beer in Dunkirk!

That stadium in Erie was a great stadium for drum corps. I can recall after championships in 1971 the Commanders marched in parade formation for several blocks thru a residential neighborhood after the show and playing "Swan Lake" and "Eine Klein Nacht Musik" for some very surprised citizens...it was great to see porch lights snapping on as we rolled up the street to where our busses were led by Ted Key.

The Guelph show also has to factor in as a great party at the school house and the giant bon-fire...

The RCA's legacy to me was good time drum corps at it's best...No, we weren't Hawthorne or the mighty Skyliners but we were all OK and put on good shows just the same...and we all seemed to enjoy each others company.

I still have my RCA patch.

aaah Keith, you've done it again! Caused some memory to kick in!

I loved that circuit as a member of the Burlington Commanders (Canadian Commanders).

1970 was the last year for Canada's Marching Ambassadors who were in RCA along with Guelph. Kingston Grennies (in their old Viscount uniforms!) and Kawartha Kavaliers.

I think RCA was formed so that those corps which were not quite DCA calibre (and there were a LOT in 1970) and could not afford to travel deeper into the United States would have a place to compete. Not that we didn't take the championships seriously! We had a tremendous rivalry with the Pittsburg Rockets in 1971. They beat us in Erie that year for the crown but we took them at DCA's a week or so later.

Johnsonburg and the Diplomats were a great bunch, especially their Drum Major, Bud Speaker (sp?).

He took a bunch of us into his home and fed us and beered us for a couple days in 1971. A really great guy.

Best party IMO was Dunkirk and then Getzville. Sometimes we chose which show to attend according to how good the party was after the show! Koch's beer in Dunkirk!

That stadium in Erie was a great stadium for drum corps. I can recall after championships in 1971 the Commanders marched in parade formation for several blocks thru a residential neighborhood after the show and playing "Swan Lake" and "Eine Klein Nacht Musik" for some very surprised citizens...it was great to see porch lights snapping on as we rolled up the street to where our busses were led by Ted Key.

The Guelph show also has to factor in as a great party at the school house and the giant bon-fire...

The RCA's legacy to me was good time drum corps at it's best...No, we weren't Hawthorne or the mighty Skyliners but we were all OK and put on good shows just the same...and we all seemed to enjoy each others company.

I still have my RCA patch.

I still have mine too. It was good times all around. And I agree we were all Okay...Great company!! :mmm: