Got any interesting, pitiful, sad stories...

Just wondering if anyone has interesting, pitiful, sad, or funny stories about (some) folks' bogus claims of corps membership??

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of someone who misrepresents his member status of a certain corps and his current influence in the corps today... really angers me.

We had a guard instructor come to our school once who claimed to have been on the Cavaliers drumline. Just...no...

He claimed to have perfect pitch as well. Someone played an Ab, and he said it was a D, which is a tritone from Ab!

He also claimed to be able to toss a 6 with a rifle. A girl gave him one, and when he bent down to toss it, the butt hit the ground and he dropped it before even tossing it.

Funny thing is, he looked like Frodo. I see him every now and then at AIA indoor competitions, and he just walks around twirling the rifle while he's waiting for his show to begin. Sorry, but I just find it tacky to be tossing while you're on the floor before the show begins.

I only met one person who claimed to have marched when he had not. The truth was discovered in quick order and he turned out to actually be a nice guy.

Worse than people making up fictional corps affliations/memberships (to me, at least) are the people who say every year they are "starting up a drum corps" and it never gets beyond the business cards and hype talk they bring to marching band practices. I don't know if other people had that happening in their areas, but it happened almost every year in the North Atlanta area in the early-to-mid 90s.

Edited by Tekneek

Sadly, there are two people I marched with in the Bleu Raeders who claimed to be in a corps, or in one case, marched a particular season with a corps, they were never a part of. I busted them both on it, but it seemed to do no good. Now they just don't deliver their bs around me.

You know, I never understood the bs mentality. There is no shame if a person didn't march with a particular corps. There is no shame if that person was never a DCI Finalist in any division or class, or if he/she were never in corps at all. Be honest, that's all. People worth their salt won't think anything less of people who didn't march...unless they are full of bs.

I remember Nikk talking about an encounter with a guy who had on a Phantom 93 shirt on... he said he walked up to him and asked him about it... apparently the guy claimed to have marched euph in the 93 line, but Nikk knew for a fact he didn't.

not the full story... if Nikk sees this, I'm sure he'll post the story.

~>conner

This makes me remember a funny story.

In 96 I was teaching a band and a guy showed up saying her marched regiment 87.

For the life of me I couldn't remember the guy, but the funny thing was he didn't remember me either.

A mutual friend assured me the guy marched.

was bizarre to say the least

I just don't understand why people think they can get away with it...

I mean...I can prove everywhere I've marched...and I would never lie about it...

'Course, being a BD alum...i don't HAVE to!! ^0^