How Many Parades Would You Have Done By Now &

Can the "Legacy" alums remember how many parades this weekend would have brought? Along with rehearsals at night and an exhbition in between.

Some years our show was completely done by now and we were ready for our first show, some corps would have already done their first show of the season.

Remember the blisters people would get from our spit shined black boots? Or the drumline trying to put their straps on with their 3rd degree sunburns. Wondering what the other corps were going to look like.

Please add on what you remember of this weekend of honoring our heroes, doing parades, and practicing until midnight.

This is supposed to be in Historical Junior Corps....can someone move it?

Well with the NY Skyliners we would be practicing every Sunday till April, then we would go Friday night, Saturday and Sunday till the season started (Except Mothers day) This weekend we would have had 3 parades today and 2-3 tomorrow.

PS - The NY Skyliners are a DCA Drum Corps

let's see, by now, Westshore would have 4 parades done, with 2 more this weekend to go

Well with the NY Skyliners we would be practicing every Sunday till April, then we would go Friday night, Saturday and Sunday till the season started (Except Mothers day) This weekend we would have had 3 parades today and 2-3 tomorrow.

PS - The NY Skyliners are a DCA Drum Corps

Yes, I know that, and I didn't mean to limit this to DCI. 2 of my years in the Reveries we didn't go to DCI (2 of the years were pre-DCI) but we sure did plenty of parades.

Well, Memorial Day weekend goes hand in hand with the Indy 500, Star of Indiana marched in that gig every year from 1985 through some of the Brass Theater Years I think. That was usually move in weekend and the first ever Star of Indiana illegal kegger party was held at my apartment in 1985. We were the only corps there I think.

Nancy, the Charlestown MA Bunker Hill parade was always where I would see Crusaders for the first time of the season back when I was a chowda head and marched the Tony Barrie Band parade circuit out there. Tony's band was a hoot. 4 Parades on the 4th of July in 1991!! Usually there was a parade around the time of the Lynn show and you could always catch some corps there.

We would do anywhere from 6-8 parades over the memorial day weekend. LIving in Jersey, with the towns so close made this possible... ahh the good days...........

For DCA the opening show of the year would have been held Saturday night (Memorial Day weekend) at either Mount Carmel or Danville, PA (show moved in '76). This was a 5 or 6 corps exihibition with 4 or 5 top corps (Cabs, Bucs, Yankee Rebels, Westshoremen on a good year, etc) and one or two "lesser" corps (Chocolatiers, Westshoremen on a bad year :P ) starting off the show.

And it seems like only locals or DC fans knew where the #### either place is located.

Handful of parades by now, depending on where the Fireman held their county convention.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

I was wondering, I went to a DCA show that I believe may have been in June of 1981 in either New York or New Jersey.

We arrived early and corps were arriving but not in uniform. Anyway, we happened to be talking to the drum major from one of the senior corps. After he asked where I marched I told him I aged out in 80 with 2-7. He said we've been trying to get in touch with George Zingali, we'd like him to come and work for us. I gave him the telephone # not knowing if Zingali would kill me or be thrilled.

Well, long story short, he did end up working with that corp I believe that year and maybe a couple of other years. Does anyone know who that might have been? For some reason I thought it might be Sky, but I could be incorrect.

The DM must have thought in his mind, yeah, this is probably a bogus telephone # or something and this girl never even stepped foot on a field.

Anyway, I was very glad that it worked out for both!

I think at that show I was blown away when a corps came off the line with Crown Imperial....I hope I'm not getting my shows mixed up. I've only been to 1, 2 or 3, 1 being in 1980, it was a junior and senior corps show and it was a blast. I believe it was our first show on first tour. What a gas!

Anyone have any answers to these? I would be deeply greatful if you could help me with my memory. :ph34r:

I was wondering, I went to a DCA show that I believe may have been in June of 1981 in either New York or New Jersey.

We arrived early and corps were arriving but not in uniform. Anyway, we happened to be talking to the drum major from one of the senior corps. After he asked where I marched I told him I aged out in 80 with 2-7. He said we've been trying to get in touch with George Zingali, we'd like him to come and work for us. I gave him the telephone # not knowing if Zingali would kill me or be thrilled.

Well, long story short, he did end up working with that corp I believe that year and maybe a couple of other years. Does anyone know who that might have been? For some reason I thought it might be Sky, but I could be incorrect.

May have been Sunrisers. I know he wrote their drill in 1989.