Life or Death help!

Ok, so I turned down a guaranteed spot in a Division 1 Drum Corps for a shot at being drum major this year. We had drum major tryouts this past Friday and I didn't make it, so I have been semi-down about this all weekend. I have been looking at their website everytime I have been online and just thinking about how I could be there and how I could be learning. So, today...low and behold...my phone rings and it is the corps director asking if there is anyway I would still be interested in joining them. I can't explain to you all how bad I want to do this. Then he goes on that they are going to march 26 trumpets, and 27 moved in with them this weekend, but they are already sending 2 home because they can't cut it talent wise...He said that he has talked to people and he knows that I would be a perfect fit in their organization. I was jumping for joy inside at this point. I told him I would speak to my mom and then call him back. As soon as I hang up the phone though I think about my plans I have right now...work, trumpet lessons, music camp, band camp...I don't know what to do. One more kicker, I have been at my current school for 5 months and I made section leader...that is already very controversial...by doing this it feels to me like I would be slapping them in the face. I have no clue what to do.

One of my friends said that it seems like I was meant to be there...I was guaranteed a spot and turned it down for drum major, but after not making drum major they call me two days later and ask again...

Please help :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, do the corps.

There you'll learn to master techniques that your hs band never even touches on. You'll come back a more focused, more skilled, and healthier person. There is nothing that hs can offer that dc doesn't blow out of the water.

Regret something you did, not something you didn't do. (You're not going to regret it though)

edited for spelling

Edited by lbjazz

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may...

kinda crappy of you to title this LIFE OR DEATH...we all love drum corps...but jeez...a little drastic....anyways....get the #### outta here...nothing is gonna replace or come close to a summer of drum corps...!! doo ittt!

Tough one and of course, you're the boss. But I THINK I might thank the school sincerely for all their support. But, tell them that you feel you have a fantastic opportunity to improve as a musician and as a person and that when the tour is over, the school will have a much more dedicated, skilled performer and individual.

Good luck either way B)

Thanks for all of your support! Now...how to convince the parentals that me doing this is worth more than anything.

for references see www.dcp.com for around 15,000 references.